I'm out ?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
If you're convinced that the RNS-510 is a poorly designed system, which it is, then it is working as designed. ;)

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
I have the 315, its even worse- I hope that the 2016's Redesigned headunit can be fitted into our cars. :confused:

Baldy_54

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Passat SE, DSG
The more I read this forum, the more scared I am of my 2013 Passat. If it is not one thing that goes wrong, it is another. And the cost of these repairs for a car that is supposed to run almost forever is just crazy. A thousand here a thousand there on things that blow up at 35k or just out of warranty is poor design nothing else. Sorry if I am stepping on anyone's toes. I have had VW's since the 60's.

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
The more I read this forum, the more scared I am of my 2013 Passat. If it is not one thing that goes wrong, it is another. And the cost of these repairs for a car that is supposed to run almost forever is just crazy. A thousand here a thousand there on things that blow up at 35k or just out of warranty is poor design nothing else. Sorry if I am stepping on anyone's toes. I have had VW's since the 60's.
It's totally understandable to be scared of repair costs especially if you use the dealership to repair your car. Most dealers, at least from what I've read over the past 6 years, seem to just throw parts at your car at your expense rather than actually troubleshoot the problem past the initial failure. I'm fortunate enough to be a diesel tech by trade, these engines are complicated but not something that can't be maintained and repaired by myself especially with the help and support of this forum. Plus my dealership was pretty good. My leaving was purely economical, I didn't want to have two large car payments. I almost bought another 06.5 Jetta TDI that the Honda dealer had on their lot. But I was reminded of all the repairs I did to my Jetta that I quickly changed my mind. Good luck with your Passat, they are awesome drivers!

domano 68

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6spd manual
I am no longer a VW owner. Traded the Passat off on Saturday for a Honda Pilot for my beautiful wife. When I purchased the Passat it was with intension of having my wife drive it after the first year. As things are that changed and she decided she wanted to keep an SUV in the family and her Expedition didn't fair to well this winter. Rust has started to take over the rocker panels. In order to keep from changing my budget around too drastically I made the decision to let the Passat go. I loved it and drove it for nearly 35,000 almost trouble free miles. And my wife loves her new Pilot Touring 4X4. I sold her Expedition outright last Friday. I am using that money as a down payment and buying a new Civic SE for my daily 100 mile commute. I will miss the torque of the diesel but won't miss the paranoia of having to fill it up at the same station consistently and/or worring that the diesel I buy at an unfirmilliar station is contaminated or has too much bio. Best regards to all, I have learned a tremendous amount from the knowledgeable people on this forum.
Interesting story. We went from a brand new 2011 Pilot to a 2012 Passat TDI. The tranny went out on the Pilot at 5k. Ok, random event. Got an extended warranty out of it. Then at 7k, the r&p steering went out. Ok, not random. Incompetent dealership destroying r&p during tranny install. No trust in the vehicle whatsoever at that point and good "excuse" to get my beautiful wife a TDI. She loves the Passat and so do I.

phlfly

Banned
TDI
Passat SEL
Let's us all buy Camry and Accord!!!

Well going with the logic it can break, well why do we need to buy houses, they are breaking all the time! Let's move to apartment buildings and use all same looking boring cars!

Baldy_54

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Passat SE, DSG
Well, I finally did it, I traded in my 2013 TDI in and am no longer in the Diesel World. Really did not want to deal with all the probable problems. As I have stated above, I think VW needs to do some work on their engineering and reliability. There is always a chance my son may gift me back, my 2000 Jetta since he does not have the same love of the Diesel, as I have had.

Last edited:

phlfly

Banned
TDI
Passat SEL
I had Volvo before, it was our other car and volvo people hated VW, saying VW breaks more than driving. Well I had argued but you can't do that against all forum.
But my point is VW had bad reputation along different people. Just 2 cents.