Starter Screech on Cold Starts -- But Not Typical

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
On cold starts, the car in the signature has starter screech immediately when it just begins to turns over. The starter quickly stops spinning--I don't think it's me reacting and letting off the key--and the car doesn't have a chance to start. Each time, it has started normally when I try a second time. No issues with warm starts so far.

Questions:
  1. What is happening and could it be causing damage to my flywheel? Is the solenoid not engaging the toothed drive completely?
  2. Is this most likely the starter itself? Anything I should look at or attempt to repair/clean/lube?
  3. Is this most likely a problem in the wiring to/from ignition-starter?

I had somewhat similar problems when my solenoid trigger wire had frayed about 6 months ago, except that it would sometimes screech and stop spinning and sometimes do a no-crank and sometimes start normally. Then, it was also more random with respect to first start and hot/cold starts as well. I thought I made a good repair, although I personally prefer solder and believe I used butt connectors and heat-shrink on this one...

Last edited:

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
While not exactly your issue, on the odd occasion in very cold weather, the starter in the 03 will 'kick out" and stop engaging the flywheel. A second or third try results in a normal start. No screech as the starter is fairly new.

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
This thread describes the screech due to starter overrun after the engine has started but the starter drive hasn't disengaged quickly enough. I don't think it's the same problem I'm having, though they might be related.

fruitscakesa said:
While not exactly your issue...No screech as the starter is fairly new.
Interesting. Unfortunately mine's not too old either. It has 50,000 miles on it.

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
Update

This intermittent problem grew more frquent and began to include intermittent no crank no starts and grinding misstarts wherein it appeared the starter gear never disingaged.

This week no crank no start returned and remained. I assumed it was my splice job to terminal 50 (solenoid trigger wire) given the identical symptoms, but that still looked good and I confirmed 12 volts with the ignition in the start position there and immediate return to 0 volts when key was let go. NAPA reman starter with 50k miles over 4.5 years turned out to be culprit, though I do not know the failure mechanism. Advice: get Bosch or spend the extra $10 for the NAPA starter with lifetime warranty.

Last edited:

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
When you had problems with the frayed solenoid wire I suspect that the starter was getting a bit more workout from extra, and heightened, over-spinning (as you noted it was doing). Might be that bushings or whatever got a bit dried out(?) as a result: this is what Jesus Is Lord was hinting at.