vcds mods

TDI<wagen>

TDI
2011 Golf Wagon, 6MT, pano, leather, media package
What is your lighting scheme? RoW or NAR
I think it says NAR, but I will double check. Will it be safe to change?

Rob_MacCara

That's the write-up I followed. I'll go over it tonight again just to make sure I haven't missed the step. Thanks

Gizzmo_jr

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I think it says NAR, but I will double check. Will it be safe to change?
Yup, my settings are RoW for my light scheme on my Canadian golf with no issues.

I suggested RoW cause it might allow your option for fogs as DRL instead. NAR coding might always force low beams as the DRL option.

DRbillZ

Veteran Member
TDI
New Beetle, Jetta, one totaled Passat....RIP.
How do you set the radio to "other than U.S.A."(ROW?) to decrease the treble output? I connected VCDS and checked all the controllers I could and didn't see a thing.
Please be specific. Don't just say the last button you push to change it. Please tell me how to get there! :)

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
How do you set the radio to "other than U.S.A."(ROW?) to decrease the treble output? I connected VCDS and checked all the controllers I could and didn't see a thing.
Please be specific. Don't just say the last button you push to change it. Please tell me how to get there! :)

The radio doesn't care what country you are in, it works the same

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
For the treble output. Push the little button with the music symbol. The location is on the top right

DRbillZ

Veteran Member
TDI
New Beetle, Jetta, one totaled Passat....RIP.
I know how to set treble on the radio itself. Yikes. I want to use vcds to change the radio to whatever decreases it's overall treble from the outset. There is a way to do it.

elcid86

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
Diamond.g help me code the radio and several other items today. Thanks!

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

Yvettes Sherpa

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI
Has anyone with a 2013 golf four door been able to get their sunroof to open with the remote? The windows open and close great. If you have can you show the step by step process?

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
I did the following:
Emergency brake light flash and hazard light flash.
Auto roll down/up windows with remote
auto unlock when I pull the key from ignition
Comfort Blink to 5 blinks instead of 3

I think there might be a few more minor ones that I can't remember off the top of my head too. But those are the big ones :)

geodug

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Wagon TDI 6MT
My OEM Bridgestone Turanzas are near end of life at 58K miles. I'm getting new tires with a larger diameter than my original tires and get 2 different suggestions on recalibrating the speedo/odometer.

One school of thought says I need to somehow reset my ECU immediately after the swap. The ECU apparently well reset itself after learning about the new tire diameters. I don't think I believe this story.

The second school of thought says I have to use my VCDS and go into the ECU and change various values to get everything in sync.

Anybody out there that has any experience on this?

Nlens

TDI
2010 VW Golf TDI
meeting up with someone tomorrow to help me w/ some vcds mods. considering turning off the DRL. I don't have LEDs, so i am wondering if this will help w/ fuel efficiency? is that one of the reasons people disable? has anyone disabled and noticed better fuel mpgs? 2010 golf tdi

thanks Guys, this thread has been HUGE

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
meeting up with someone tomorrow to help me w/ some vcds mods. considering turning off the DRL. I don't have LEDs, so i am wondering if this will help w/ fuel efficiency? is that one of the reasons people disable? has anyone disabled and noticed better fuel mpgs? 2010 golf tdi

No it won't save any mpg...
There was a thread a while back on the subject that got a bit heated. However there are good points from both sides of the do it and don't do it camps:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=334450

Last edited:

Killabee228

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Sportwagen manual
At most the 2 lights use excess leftover energy that's already been made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

goodysgotacuda

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Goft TDI/6spd & Jetta TDI/DSG

You won't see any tangible FE gains from disabling DRLs.

Nlens

TDI
2010 VW Golf TDI
You won't see any tangible FE gains from disabling DRLs.
Thanks for the input. I think I am going to plan to do an Hid mod, so when I do, I'll probably try to change the fogs to leds and then use them as delta.

We actually had to reschedule so I didn't get the changes yet but hopefully we will reschedule soon

Killabee228

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Sportwagen manual
Before you start plugging in wires for the fogs make sure your CECM even has the capability.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB

OK could not help but dig in to this on this beautiful Sunday. pretty easy to figure max fuel savings from not running the DRLs.

figure two headlights at 50w each, 100 watts.

so for every hour, 100 watt-hours, or 0.1 kwh.

1 watt hour is 3.4 BTU.

so the headlights on for an hour take 340 BTU

Gallon of ULSD has about 140,000 btu.

so the most fuel you could hope to save would be 0.00243 gallons per hour.

40mpg at 80 MPH, (to make the math easy) would be 2 gallons per hour,

so in a perfect world, you could save around 1/10 of 1%.

say, from 40 to 40.04 mpg.

not much, but you could be honest and say you were disabling DRLs to save fuel.

in 120,000 miles, all in clear daylight, you might save enough to make it worth while.

at 40 mpg, that distance would take 3000 gallons of fuel. 1/10 of a percent of that would be 3 gallons of ULSD.

http://delcoremy.com/documents/high-efficiency-white-paper.aspx includes some efficiency numbers for alternators, overall claims around 20%, after you look at friction, belt, and alternator losses so that savings could only be a couple dollars worth of fuel. (on second thought, the efficiency should impact the calculation in the other way, so you might end up saving 15 gallons of fuel over 120,000 mile of drl-off driving)

whether this savings is worth the added risk of reduced visibility is another question.

Last edited:

Killabee228

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Sportwagen manual
OK could not help but dig in to this on this beautiful Sunday. pretty easy to figure max fuel savings from not running the DRLs.

figure two headlights at 50w each, 100 watts.

so for every hour, 100 watt-hours, or 0.1 kwh.

1 watt hour is 3.4 BTU.

so the headlights on for an hour take 340 BTU

Gallon of ULSD has about 140,000 btu.

so the most fuel you could hope to save would be 0.00243 gallons per hour.

40mpg at 80 MPH, (to make the math easy) would be 2 gallons per hour,

so in a perfect world, you could save around 1/10 of 1%.

say, from 40 to 40.04 mpg.

not much, but you could be honest and say you were disabling DRLs to save fuel.

in 120,000 miles, all in clear daylight, you might save enough to make it worth while.

at 40 mpg, that distance would take 3000 gallons of fuel. 1/10 of a percent of that would be 3 gallons of ULSD.

http://delcoremy.com/documents/high-efficiency-white-paper.aspx includes some efficiency numbers for alternators, overall claims around 20%, after you look at friction, belt, and alternator losses so that savings could only be a couple dollars worth of fuel. (on second thought, the efficiency should impact the calculation in the other way, so you might end up saving 15 gallons of fuel over 120,000 mile of drl-off driving)

whether this savings is worth the added risk of reduced visibility is another question.

I just have to laugh. I drive with DRLs and fogs on.