XTool experience YES it reads DSG temp

wilcharl

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI BOUGHT BACK 23 NOV 16. Now owner of 2016 Jeep Cherokee
Folks

First off yes, i On my way! VCDS, I love VCDS however I wanted a computer independent scan tool that would not require me to drag out my laptop.

Xtool did it for me . Bought one from a US seller on ebay to see if by chance it read dsg temps. Indeed, it does! It also allows you to prime your fuel filter on MKV+ engines

For less then 100 bucks it's a cool robust useful device that offers portability that VCDS does not

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
Isn't that the one that installs viruses that effect your mapping in the ecu? Just kidding.

Sounds pretty useful. Although its limited to what it can do it still seems like one step up from nothing.
My dad had some sort of generic reader, it gave all kinds of live data that was accessible through the cable, also it could delete *some* codes. But it wouldn't have been able to run the pump like your Xtools, cool find. Hope you find other secrets it can do, down the road.

wilcharl

Veteran Member
TDI
So far aside from installing a virus and using the bluetooth microphone to record conversations and transmit them back to China... :)

The tool can :

1) scan VW specific codes along with OBD codes
2) Show specific measuring blocks including DSG Temperature
3) Activate the fuel pump

For around 75 bucks its a great thing to throw in your tool box when you don't want to break out your laptop

Mklews

TDI
2011 Jetta 2.0 TDI
Wilcharl,

Would you be able to post a step by step instructions as to how to prime the fuel pumps using the xtool, please? I'm very interested in doing this myself, just a little hesitant without any guidance. Thank you.

scdevon

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I have an Xtool and it works great. $60-something dollars including shipping on Ebay and it has a lot of functionality. You can toss the Xtool in your glove compartment and go without the need for a laptop. 99% of the time, you won't even need VCDS if you have this handy little scanner. Highly recommended.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
I have an Xtool and it works great. $60-something dollars including shipping on Ebay and it has a lot of functionality. You can toss the Xtool in your glove compartment and go without the need for a laptop. 99% of the time, you won't even need VCDS if you have this handy little scanner. Highly recommended.
We are talking about 99% of what kinds of functionality here? The whole array of VCDS functions? This seems hard to believe...could you specify?

sylvan

TDI
2011 JSW TDI, Candy White, 6sp manual
I know this is an old thread, but I just used this tool to disable the hill hold function in the ABS controller. When I first tried it, it said "Function not supported on this vehicle" but after updating the scanner's firmware I was able to flip bit 0 of byte 16 in the coding block. Not bad for $80!

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Way over priced being it is a generic scanner.

If you have a smart phone, you can use an app called Torque with an ELM 327 BlueTooth adapter.Lets see, the adaptor can be had for as low $14 and Torque shareware is free or you can splurge and spend $9 for torque Pro.

jonlowe

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon, 5 speed conversion, GBSM
It is not a generic scanner. It is VW/Audi specific, can scan all of the systems on my Passat and Audi, do adaptations, etc. If you understand VCDS, this tool is very similar in abilities. However, right now, I can't access the updates at Xtools website, but am working with the importer to fix it. Very powerful tool, although the manual sucks. And it doesn't require a computer to run. Far, far better than Elm and Torque, and I have them too.

wilcharl

Veteran Member
TDI
I have been using it for about 8000 miles on my car and a friends

So far

DSG temp no problem
fuel filter prime no problem
Measuring blocks for RCV no problem
Cycling climatronoc actuators no problem

No laptop needed

Support and updates are marginal

jonlowe

Veteran Member
TDI
I figured out to update mine. Download the update application from the xtools website, and use the VAG401 serial number as the user name, and the password from the about screen as the password. You do not need to register.
I downloaded the updates, and it said the update was successful. When I started the diagnosis, it loaded a new .bin file. Menus changed somewhat, and new options were added. However the About screen still shows the old software version number and date. Does yours do the same?

I was able to use mine to read out the key code from the dash. I verified that it was the same as one I'd gotten previously from VAG- Tacho. This is on my 2005 Passat TDI. It was unable to get the key code from my 2003 Audi allroad.

It reads error codes just like VCDS, although there is no autoscan function to scan all modules that I can find. It has successfully found all installed features on both my allroad and my Passat.

Note that both of my cars are dual k not CANbus. I have not tried it on CANbus car yet.

The best way I can describe the interface to the modules is the older VCDS lite interface. The original modulemenus were almost a copy of VCDS, although the latest update simplified them somewhat.

It supposedly can match keys to the dash/immobilizer, although I haven't tried it. It has a few other functions that VCDS doesn't have, such as mileage changes, etc. It can code modules, do adaptations, etc.

If you have used VCDS, you can probably figure out how to use this. The manual is useless.

They include a microSD card reader used for the updates. They also include a USB cable. The only use I've seen for the cable is to power up the unit from a USB port instead of your car. There is no apparent computer interface. Windows devices manager doesn't see anything when it is hooked to the computer.

The OBDII cable that hooks between the VAG401 and the car is a straight thru cable. There are no components in the back she'll of the OBDII connector. The other end has a 15 pin male d-sub connector.

Looking at Xtools website, they had 3 or 4 software updates for the VAG401 last year, the latest in Nov 2014. The descriptions of the updates are hard to find, and the release notes are cryptic and in Chinglish. However, they seem to be actively updating it.

Support, either by email or Skype seems to be nonexistent. I've tried both, with no answers to date.

I bought mine thru Amazon. I have Amazon prime, and Amazon fulfilled the order, although it was sold by a third party. I got it in a couple of days.

If you travel a lot, you can keep it in the car. You don't need a computer or power supply to use it, which is great. It has a lot of capability for the money (I spent $80), and is very convenient. However, user support is nonexistent, so being previously familiar with VCDS is a definite plus. I can't speak for how well it works on current model cars.

Palladin

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI w DSG
AS someone with no prior experience with using VAG COM, how impossible is it to figure out how to use the Xtool to check DSG temp after a fluid change or to prime the fuel pump? The poor instructions don't sound encouraging. I watched the video for priming the pump but don't see how the guy figured out to use channel 35. Is there a menu on the tool you can reference?

Last edited:

jonlowe

Veteran Member
TDI
Palladin,
Usually from a shop manual, or the forums. I don't know what 2011 TDI you have, but in a quick look at the stickies in the late model Jetta sedan area of this website, led me to this procedure on changing the fuel filter, including how to prime it:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?6106042-Jetta-6-TDI-CJAA-Fuel-Filter-Change-DIY

The VAG401 uses the same codes as VCDS or the factory tools use, common for the whole family of Audi, VW, Skoda, and SEAT. You need to make sure to use the particular procedure for your car year and model. Even with VCDS you need this info. There are also some Youtube videos on a whole lot of procedures using VCDS, and the VAG401 follows the same basic procedures, although the screens look different. I'd read the VCDS manual on the Ross-Tech website, and it will give you a lot of information on how VCDS or the VAG401 can be used. But even the VCDS manual doesn't give you particular car procedures. For those, you can check the Rpss-Tech wiki, do a search in these forums, Youtube, or use a shop manual. I use all of them when tackling a job I haven't done before.

Palladin

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI w DSG
I've kind of figured out from the video that channel 35 is for the fuel pumps but I was wondering about the channel for DSG temperature. I have a 2011 Golf TDI w DSG.
Thanks

jonlowe

Veteran Member
TDI
Did a Google search on "2011 golf dsg temp vcds" and it looks like from the Ross Tech website Block 19 of transmission. For any of the measurements, you are going to have to search a little. VCDS will give you some info along the way that the VAG401 doesn't.

Palladin

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI w DSG
Thanks for the tip Jon. I'm usually not this crippled but I was having trouble with the search nomenclature. I'm all over it now. Thanks again.

Palladin

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI w DSG
Thanks to the information provided by jonlowe and others I sprang for an XTool Vag401 which should fill my needs for fuel filter and DSG changes perfectly. I'm still a few months away from those services but at least I'm prepared and I'll have a chance to get familiar with the Xtool functionality.
Thanks to all.

jonlowe

Veteran Member
TDI
A new firmware update was posted for the VAG401 a couple of days ago, Feb 5, 2015, I believe. Use the update tool from XtoolTech to get it.

jonlowe

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, it continues to show old version numbers. Wish they'd fix that, but right now I'm happy they support it with regular upgrades.
I saw the new rapid scan menu item, but have not played with it yet.

I really like the convenience of this scanner. Easy to read screen in sunlight, no battery charging to worry about. I had a small padded bag I put mine in to carry with me on trips.

Enjoy!

sprinks

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta tdi (gone); now mk7 gti
So my understanding of this tool is that it's a generic obd scanner but useful for navigating options that have historically been tied only to viewing through vcds? Sounds incredibly useful.

Bahn

TDI
X
Yes, that's why I got it. 63 dollars, free 2 day priority shipping from an ebay US dealer outta California arrived yesterday. I only wanted it solely to read/reset any future fault codes, for the fuel pump prime for fuel filter DIY changes, and the DPF Oil Ash Load check but it appears this does many of the same functions as the other from looking at all the menus. I just have to do more research on this because from what it appears the menus are very very similar to the screen shots I have see of the VCDS. This xtool is also VW/Audi/Seat and Skoda specific.

jonlowe

Veteran Member
TDI
So my understanding of this tool is that it's a generic obd scanner but useful for navigating options that have historically been tied only to viewing through vcds? Sounds incredibly useful.
No, it is NOT a generic scanner. It is VAG specific. Very nice tool.

jonlowe

Veteran Member
TDI
jonlowe, reference this thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=324067 have you tried to check your oil ash volume using blocks 108 or 241 yet with this tool? I ran mine yesterday using 108 (241 didn't work) and the ash load was 0. My car has just over 10k on it now (85% highway at 75mph+ average and I thought that reading might be wrong. Can you run the xtool check on yours and let me know what yours reads and your mileage? I did see in the tread a car with 3954K and it was also zero and another with 24129 with 9 so...

According to the tread here is the steps to follow:

select “Control Module”, then “01-Engine”, “Measuring Blocks” or "Advanced Measuring Blocks".
108 or 241 for Oil Ash Volume. 360,365 can also be used.
105 # of requested regens.
My cars (2005 Passat and 2003 Audi) don't have DPF. Sorry.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
Has anyone confirmed a good reading regarding the Oil Ash load? I'd like to test some prospective vehicles when my Xtools gets here.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
I went for the Amazon Prime route, just in case it was a horrible horrible product I would like to return. $75 (BTW grats on the sale, that wagon of yours had everything)

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
Checked out amazon, there appear to be several models.
I understand so far we have discusses the more expensive xtools for vag; but any experience with the cheaper meter, that appears strictly for jus reading and clearing bag specific codes($18.00)

And second question is; are either of the xtools good for a mk4? I just noticed everyone discussing it has a later model, as well as the ad didn't specify...