First Production Vehicle to Use GPF

gloaming

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf 6MT CR170 (Sold); 2004 R32 (not a TDI)
only 20-50 euros in cost to the manufacturer, but 2000-5000 for a replacement when needed :p

In all seriousness, this is good news for our planet that gasoline cars will be upheld to the same standards of emissions as diesels

chucky2

TDI
Ford Ranger FX4 Level II
Two things:

1.) I wonder what the mpg impact will be?

2.) For so little cost, how could CARB when doing LEV III not mandate a particle limit as EU has? I like how they go out of their way to needlessly penalize Clean Diesel, but then when faced with raw data on GDI go out of their way to give GDI a pass. The 'electrify at all costs' "logic" of CARB is amazing...

wxman

Veteran Member
TDI
Other Diesel
...For so little cost, how could CARB when doing LEV III not mandate a particle limit as EU has? I like how they go out of their way to needlessly penalize Clean Diesel, but then when faced with raw data on GDI go out of their way to give GDI a pass....

Completely agree.

When source-apportionment study after source-apportionment study has shown that gasoline engine PM is anywhere from 3 times to 10 times as large a source of ambient PM2.5 as diesel engine PM in large urban areas (including several cited by EPA itself), it's perplexing why the regulators have cracked down so vigorously on diesel PM, while doing little to reduce PM from gasoline engines. By the way, the source-apportionment studies mentioned were pre-2005, i.e., they *pre-dated* the regulatory effectively-mandated use of DPF.

Public perception and/or politics?

chucky2

TDI
Ford Ranger FX4 Level II
Oh I think it's very much politics, or even more likely, the personal beliefs of the Leadership at CARB (and enough of those that work below them) knowing that if they didn't go as hard against CD as they have, that manufacturers would bring their EU CD offerings here. What would happen? Many would buy them, with increasing numbers year after year (as word and marketing gets out).

If that happened, How can CARB (and the agenda driven people who run it) push electric vehicles and public transportation, which is their real ultimate goal, when there are CD offerings putting up their mileage for the prices you can buy them for? The couldn't...or, they'd have a way more hard time than they are even now. So they do exactly what they're able to do. Cook up regs that they know will make EU CD offerings less viable and more expensive to bring over, to take that competition to their end goal as much off the table as possible.

Really, in the face of the science, what other excuse could they provide?

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
make them suffer like us diesel owners....share the misery
I'm wondering what the MPG impact will be and what maintenance issues it might create.

If nothing else, it should help level the MPG playing field between gasoline and diesel owners.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I'm guessing that the gpf equipped vehicles will go through similar growing pains as the dpf has. The difference being that diesels are less than 3% of the total light vehicles sales in the US and Canada. Start screwing with the reliability of that other 97%, and we're going to see some very fast fixes ans answers.