DPF deletion question

jettajim

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Golf 6-spd, '12 Passat gasser:(
Alright here goes. Can this be removed w/o any vagcom or any other adjustments?

I owned '00 and '01 Jetta TDIs and have done ALL the maintenance on them and was heavily involved with TDIClub. I just sold my '01 at 240k just a few months ago and it was an awesome car!

I have not been as involved with my new '14 Golf TDI but lately have been wondering about it. I know when the regen is happening due to the instrument cluster telling me when to shift---it's at a different rpm than normal. Can this be changed also? I have a vagcom.

Thanks for the help.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Alright here goes. Can this be removed w/o any vagcom or any other adjustments?

I owned '00 and '01 Jetta TDIs and have done ALL the maintenance on them and was heavily involved with TDIClub. I just sold my '01 at 240k just a few months ago and it was an awesome car!

I have not been as involved with my new '14 Golf TDI but lately have been wondering about it. I know when the regen is happening due to the instrument cluster telling me when to shift---it's at a different rpm than normal. Can this be changed also? I have a vagcom.

Thanks for the help.
1) The DPF cannot be removed without also getting a custom tune. The tune must delete all of the sensors that are part of the DPF. A DPF delete without a tune will not work well and you will have a constant CEL (among other problems).

2) As far as I know the shift points signaled by that idiot light cannot be changed with VCDS. You can also tell when a regen is occurring by the radiator fan running constantly and by a slightly higher than normal idle rpms, but the best way to monitor regens is an EGT gauge of some kind.

Most of the functions of the emissions system are not configurable with VCDS. The only way to change them is modified ECU programming.

Have Fun!

Don

kyle_h

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI Execline R-Line
Actual you don't need a custom tune, a few tuners have a dpf tune available. Also there's a crap ton of info in the forums about this

Sent from my iPhone using the Tapatalk app, so that explains the typos...

jettajim

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Golf 6-spd, '12 Passat gasser:(
Thanks for the info Don! I know about the higher rpms & the fans during the regen cycle--I just forgot to mention them. I hate hearing the fans running for so long after the engine is shut off.

Kyle, I know there's a bunch of DPF info out there. I just don't have the days to read it all. Don answered exactly what I needed to know.

Thanks for both inputs!

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Actual you don't need a custom tune, a few tuners have a dpf tune available.
I think that this is primarily a question of definition. In a way all TDI tunes are all custom tunes (created for a specific engine), but specifically a DPF delete tune is a specific (custom?) tune for a specific purpose. Is this a "standard" tune or a "custom" tune? It really depends on how you define those terms. The important things are that it is not worth arguing about, and that the OP's question has been answered to his satisfaction.

Have Fun!

Don

Aztraveler

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold 2014 Jetta back to VW in 2016. In Oct 2020 Bought 2015 Passat TDI SE CPO
I too have noticed a change in shift points during a regen.

I have a manual transmission and during regens at between 40 and 50 mph it wants a lower gear.

IE. At 40 I would normally be in 5th. It wants 4th. Between 45 and 50 I would normally go to 6th. It wants 5th.

YMMV