2015 tdi smoke?

goose737700

TDI
2013 tdi golf DSG. 1995 EVC AHU Tdi, Dsla 1019 injectors, Vnt15.
Hi All, I just test drove a 2015 tdi golf sel DSG and was blown away, It was a great ride. Roomier tight and good power, a bit of turbo lag though at low speed.
2 concerns though, after the test drive I left it idling and noticed a lot of whitish smoke coming out of the exhaust. the ODO said it had 58 miles on the car, is this normal? It also had the Ad blue which from what I've read the Touareg owners aren't too happy about, lots of problems... So what are the thoughts here? Have any of the new owners noticed this smoke phenomena? What are the thoughts on the Ad Blue? I love the car and don't need it right away, I'll probably wait for the Variant anyway. Thanks for your help.

fowvey

Veteran Member
TDI
(2014 Jetta TDI DSG) -Gone, but not forgotten, 2014 Audi A6 TDI
Got 16k on the audi using ad blue. no problems as of yet. No problems on the car at all. Never have noticed white smoke from it. I'd much rather have ad blue than the *old* cr140 regen dpf system.

FreezingInSask

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf MK6 TDI
Got 16k on the audi using ad blue. no problems as of yet. No problems on the car at all. Never have noticed white smoke from it. I'd much rather have ad blue than the *old* cr140 regen dpf system.
"ad blue" as VW and others call it is an add on system. MK6 Golf, used a DPF to remove particulate matter and EGR to lower NOx. MK7 Golf uses a DPF, EGR and SCR"ad blue" to reduce NOx even further. Having ad blue does not remove the need for a DPF, as they are doing different jobs.

fowvey

Veteran Member
TDI
(2014 Jetta TDI DSG) -Gone, but not forgotten, 2014 Audi A6 TDI
"ad blue" as VW and others call it is an add on system. MK6 Golf, used a DPF to remove particulate matter and EGR to lower NOx. MK7 Golf uses a DPF, EGR and SCR"ad blue" to reduce NOx even further. Having ad blue does not remove the need for a DPF, as they are doing different jobs.
Right, I was just referring to the fact that the older engines didn't use the urea. IMO it is better to use it.

Why don't you come down to Phoenix to warm up instead of Saskatchewan! :D

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
I have both a Treg with ad blue and a JSW no blue, Have had no issues with either. Ad blue cars are either fine or have big problems,and there is no way to know until trouble happens. I think problems with the ad blue cars were in the earlier models although not totally.

I don't like the idea that the DFF is a time bomb that will have to be dealt with if you keep the car a long time.

FreezingInSask

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf MK6 TDI
Right, I was just referring to the fact that the older engines didn't use the urea. IMO it is better to use it.

Why don't you come down to Phoenix to warm up instead of Saskatchewan! :D

I'll tell yea, every time October rolls around that exact thought enters my mind.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
The whitish smoke is probably stuff in the exhaust system burning off since it's brand new. I'm sure it will dissipate quickly.

As for DEF (AdBlue), it is definitely the way to go because it allows for more efficient engine tuning. 62,000 miles on our Passat and not a single DEF-related issue.

goose737700

TDI
2013 tdi golf DSG. 1995 EVC AHU Tdi, Dsla 1019 injectors, Vnt15.
Thanks for the help, my wife got scared of having a 30k Car payment so she found me a 2010 golf TDI for less than half the price�� .It is sweet, I'm not sure I can let go of my 03 though.