Delayed Air Conditioning

lapeer20m

TDI
99.5 jetta
I did some testing....

My cheap voltmeter read about 13.2 vdc at the connector when car was running with ac on. Vcds indicated .825? Amps (whatever the Max is). I did not measure the actual amps. Instead I unplugged the compressor and made test leads that connected directly from the battery to the rcv. With engine off I could hear the rcv "click" when voltage was applied.

With engine running and ac on plus rcv jumped directly to battery the system functioned exactly the same. Delayed/intermittent cooling. Only difference was vcds indicated compressor was unplugged, I forget the value.

Max pressure indicated by vcds when system is cooling is 12 bar, minimum is around 7 when there is no cooling.

I'm confident the system is charged with approximately 19 oz of refrigerant.

I hate to throw parts at a problem but am considering purchasing a new rcv. I don't understand how a broken compressor would cool intermittently and am hoping there is something wrong with the rcv that I cleaned and reinstalled.

If the valve doesn't fix it I assume I need a compressor simply because even with the pcu calling for max cooling the compressor is refusing to do it.

zleem60

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI w/ 5th gear swap .658, 2002Jetta Tdi six speed swap!! :)
@Alicat2441, @lapeer20m

Here's what you can do. Go buy the RCV, have a shop install it. See if that fixes the probelm. If not then you can replace the compressor. I mention that in another thread that I think VW and Sanden have a game going. I bought a compressor back in March 2010. By April the following year, 13 months later which is out of warranty. The AC would not cool for 10 minutes, then it would work most of the day. I Replaced Everything other than a new compressor. Then I found this thread. Changed the RCV in Aug. 2011. Its Aug. 2014. the AC is still running like a champ. Maybe it won't work for you, but if it did, it would have save you a couple of grand. Why not give it a try. If you have a couple of thousand to waste then go get a new system put in. I bought my RCV from a Chinese company in China for $20.

You know when they take your old one, all they are doing is replacing the RCV for less than what we can buy it for ($25). Then reselling it to customer for $700. You do the math.

Robert B

TDI
2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen
Any Solution to AC problem?

I have a similar problem of intermittent cooling. Very erratic, not very predictable. Just quits cooling every now and then with not apparent correlation to speed or rpm. VW dealer drained/refilled last year, and I'm thinking I'll just shoot some Freon into it, but I don't know AC systems very well.

Any explanation of resolution of your problem would be appreciated.

Thanks!

d2305

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Ram EcoDiesel
Adding refrigerant blindly will most likely make things worse. Order a rcv and take it to someone that can install it.

Robert B

TDI
...Sorry. I now see your later posts. (Newbie). Just one question: or, OK two questions: 1. What is an "rcv"? Sounds like a clutch if it clicks, right? And 2. why do you need to have a shop install it? I've already done my 120K timing belt (DIY) so I'm good with mechanics, I just don't know A/C systems

Thanks again!

Robert B

TDI
Thanks for that advice. You're probably right about blindly adding Freon.
I just need to find out about the "RCV".

lapeer20m

TDI
99.5 jetta
Thanks for that advice. You're probably right about blindly adding Freon.
I just need to find out about the "RCV".
Rcv = refrigerant control valve. This is a clutch less compressor and relies on this valve to control the amount of refrigerant that is pumped by the compressor.

It's a DIY project if you have the appropriate tools to recover refrigerant plus a vacuum pump as well as gauges and a scale to correctly monitor the amount of refrigerant put back into the system. Ac is not rocket science but requires some specialized equipment.

BITRBO

TDI
'09 JSW DSG
My JSW had this problem a couple times when I first got it this past winter, but has gotten significantly worse with summer in full swing... Sometimes the air comes on super cold right away and other times it takes a mile or two to kick in... But then the air will seem to get just ever so warmer depending on the commute or if I have the car loaded with people.

Anyway, I took it to a local A/C shop and the guy told me "it was a control valve that commonly went on VW's" (which I assume is the RCV) and it would $180 for entire job. Now I'm pretty handy with cars (a 2Micron kit was my first DIY on this car) and I can probably tackle most anything within reason, but I DON'T have any specialized refrigerant tools or experience, both of which seems to be associated with this job. So should I just take it to the guy and be done with it? The price seems reasonable considering I don't have the freon or equipment to install it...

TIA!

Tuco

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
Anyway, I took it to a local A/C shop and the guy told me "it was a control valve that commonly went on VW's" (which I assume is the RCV) and it would $180 for entire job.
Most dealerships seem to default to "need a new compressor," so this indie shop suggesting an RCV is pretty impressive.

Tuco

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
If $180 includes the cost of the part, that's pretty fair. Please report back with the results if you decide to get it done.

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
You're probably right about blindly adding Freon.
He's absolutely right.

My compressor failed a few months ago, which was reason to get educated on auto AC systems. What I learned in the process is cheap R134a can/gauge/hose combos at the auto parts store are AC repair shop's wet dream. R134a doesn't weaken or 'go bad' (on it's own). Only AC components 'go bad'. Adding refrigerant to a fully charged system will kill the compressor (been there done that in my youth). Since there's no way to accurately measure what's in the system, best method is to evacuate, vacuum and refill by weight according the manual.

Only time I recommend adding is when it's low from a leak, however you're gambling as to how much. For this, you'll need the manual and VCDS to estimate based on pressure readings at known ambient temps. Since risk of killing a pump also risks flooding the system with metal, I recommend adding dye and only enough refrigerant to get the system to operate and reveal the leak.

Last edited:

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
My wife's 2010 Jetta TDI has this problem. She has to run the car several miles before the AC cools down. Even once it cools down it seems we have to leave it at #3 minimum, but at first we have to have it at #4 for a while so it'll cool down. If we leave it at #1 or #2, then it doesn't cool enough.

I'm tempted to try to find someone to replace my refrigerant control valve and see if that fixes the problem. Very early in the morning or late at night the ac works better, so we can run it at #2 and be okay, but that's the only time.

We live in central FL, so it's always hot. If anyone can recommend someone in central FL I would greatly appreciate some feedback. I really don't want to go to VW.

aerox

TDI
Black, Golf Mk VI, 4-door, 3-pedal
Another RCV success story. Swapped mine out and getting polar vortex again. The job was pretty simple. The hardest part was to pull the old one out. Had to rock it for about 5 minutes.

chiefmoose

TDI
09 Jetta 2.0 CBEA
I am having the same issue with my 2009 Jetta. AC is intermittent. To start, I had the compressor replaced at 44k. Not under warranty. I now have just over100k, and the dealer says I need another compressor. Third compressor on a five year old car? It was a $1200. job last time. After reading some threads on here, I think it is my RCV. The service manager said it was the N-280 valve, which is internal. Is the RCV and the N-280 the same valve? I am thinking it is. The dealerships should take their older, senior techs, and make them the service managers. Not some 23yo pretty boy, fresh out of college, who knows nothing about wrenching. How many $700. compressors are installed, when it is just a $69. RCV? Someone should do a thread on compressor failures on these cars.

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
Actually this thread covers the discovery that the RCV was the culprit in many many cases and the process that got us here. Lots of time and effort has been put into this solution. DAN144 did yeoman duty along with others ans all deserve our appreciation.

zabrooks

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Swapped out my RCV this morning. Fixed my issue.

When diagnosing this I noticed my AC would cycle cold then warm air, would work some days and not on other days. I could be driving down the highway for hundreds of miles and it would be cold 40% of the time the other 60% blowing warm air. I was almost sure I was dealing with low refrigerant. Started messing around with my gauges and realized there was another issue and this thread came up.

I really appreciate all the efforts that go into making this forum amazing.

saboteur

TDI
2009 Golf 2.0 TDI
Thank you for sharing this information, I just replaced my RCV for about AU$180 instead of the AU$1200 quoted for a new compressor.

This is the compressor:

This is the new RCV, it is held in with a circlip:

The labour charge including removing and recharging the refrigerant was AU$220. Before the RCV change, the A/C would take 5 minutes to get cold, and even then it wasn't anywhere near as cold as it gets now.

Cheers!

WillemT

TDI
2007 Jetta 5 1.9 tdi, 2005 Touran 1.9 tdi, 2003 Jetta 4 1.9 tdi (written off by kudu ;-( )
I just recieved my PXE16 valve for my 2007 Jetta 1.9 tdi.
Look like the valve has a little crack at the top in the plastic part though...
Can anyone advise if this will be a problem? contacted the supplier to get him to exchange the valve, hope I have some luck...

Last edited:

y0bailey

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI Sportwagen
Alright folks...a little help needed her.

Swapped my RCV yesterday..I had an issue with getting the system discharged, and long story short I still had some pressure in the system when I removed the valve, and a fair amount of compressor oil was "shot out" along with the extra refrigerant. Not cool.

I went ahead and charged it anyways, and things are running smooth, nice cold air, and overall I am happy. I am however concerned I am running on the low side of oil in the compressor.

What would you guys do? Any easy way to add some without needing to recharge the system? Forgive me, I am new to most of this AC stuff.

lou95gts

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
I just recieved my PXE16 valve for my 2007 Jetta 1.9 tdi.
Look like the valve has a little crack at the top in the plastic part though...
Can anyone advise if this will be a problem? contacted the supplier to get him to exchange the valve, hope I have some luck...

Yes, that crack is a problem. Don't use it. Get another one.

weggman

Veteran Member
TDI
Had 74 to date 2006 Mk5 custom TDI
What flush did the dealer or you yourself use. I'm replacing everything in my system now because the control valve only worked for week and delay or not at all a/c happened. Now when I tore it appart again the whole thing had black death inside if it. I had to replace eveything and flush the evap.

miamijerry

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Another success story
2010 TDI Jetta with 72K miles, 5 minutes to start cooling when the engine was cold.
Changed RCV in compressor, now it is only seconds to get cold.

Thanks

silicondt

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2009 TDI
I had the delayed AC problem. Swapped out the RCV and it's fixed now.

I had the AC guy leave 10psi in system and the RCV was still a PAIN in the ass to get out.

Also after we put a vacuum on the system before recharging it, the ac guy put his thumb to the low port valve and it was sucking on his thumb. The valve was leaking inward letting air back into the system. We had to change out the part number of 8E0820855

doug1976

TDI
2006 JETTA
Another Success Story

Changed RCV on my Jetta MK5 and had shop pull vacuum and recharge. All is good. But they did say that system was low of Freon. All is good now.

Dodoma

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta White
Try replace the ac system (compressor, expansion valve, etc) with some Japanese system, like Toyota or Honda.