Convert To TT/R32 Front Suspension For Handeling

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Because they're rear discs that rust solid if not used hard, and have relatively small pads?
On the other hand, shoes last almost the life of the car if you rotate them once. Drums don't rust half as quick, either. As you can tell, I'm a follower of the church of the Bendix Single Anchor Duo-Servo Self-Adjusting Drum Brake. May it please its followers with its easily serviced nature.

Anyways, back on topic I feel like the rear really wants to come out before the front when in a turn. Do the higher zoot cars like the TTs come with IRS? Some camber gain on compression would be nice...
Even when putting 50-60k a year on the car the rears would be replaced twice, if not 3 times before the fronts were due :)

As for drums? Ugh, no thanks.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Even when putting 50-60k a year on the car the rears would be replaced twice, if not 3 times before the fronts were due :)

As for drums? Ugh, no thanks.
GM W-spring brakes? No no no.
VW drums? No thank you.
Japanese drums? Ehh, marginally better than discs.
Bendix designed, pinnacle-of-drum-brake-development drums? Yes please, but only on the rear.

The point I was making is that they make the pads small so that the surface pressure is high and it scrubs off the rust on the rotors that quickly accumulates if your car sits. Also, them wearing quickly will also exercise the caliper slides and the places in the brackets where the pads ride.

GM tried to get drum brake lifespan out of rear discs on their C/K trucks in the '90s, but they rusted solid and were the biggest headache. So they made the pads out of a compound that doesn't have the same wear life.

dirtride

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
VAG had a recall on the 2000-2001 Audi TT's because of an handling issue at higher speeds. VIN 60000 & before had the LCA's with sway bar mount (early), 60001 and later do not have the mounts. (late) This is outlined at the Myturbodiesel thread. http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/audi-tt-vw-golf-r32-spindle-and-lower-control-arm-conversion-mk4/

Would using the early model LCA's from a TT on a MK4 Volkswagen platform contribute to handling problems they were having with the Audi's? Or is it just an Audi TT thing.

Last edited:

duwem

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI 5 Speed
Rare find, well done, if you dont use them the TT guys would grab them up I bet. Or let me know and I may if I havent got far on mine yet.

dirtride

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
Did I hit a snag? I have spindle assy's from a 2001 1.8 FWD TT. Not verified yet, but LCA's from a 2000. (will have those in hand on Tues.)

I noticed the ball joint part numbers are different between 2000 & 2001. Is this a problem? Does anyone know the difference? Which ones are correct for me? (2000 or 2001) Good place to purchase?

Last edited:

duwem

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm in need of ball joints too. My parts were from an 01.

Dealer wants like $140 each for ball joints. So I will be getting aftermarket!

duwem

Veteran Member
TDI
Prettied up.

Other side is in primer, black tomorrow. Still need to buy bushings brake rotors and pads and ball joints yet before this swap can happen.

dirtride

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
Looks good! Thinking I will go with the Powerflex rear LCA bushings and derlins that MCPI offers for the front.

Anyone have experience with the Powerflex bushings?

Not sure how true, but I heard the stock rubber TT rear LCA bushings do not last that long?

duwem

Veteran Member
TDI
I have kicked around the MCPI Defcon option as well, would be the time to do it when its out of the car, but $125 for just the adaptors seems steep. And some go to the later TT rear bushings which I guess fit our cars and the tt arms, but are even stiffer than the first gen tt bushings. That was all part of the different kits that MCPI used to offer, but now they just sell the adaptor bushings it looks like.

This swap could end up costing a ton, with all the upgrades that are available, I'm starting to think I will just keep it mostly stock parts for now, or it will never get done, if it was my only project I would dump more money into it, but I have lots of irons in the fire.

dirtride

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
Yes, I know what you mean. For me, this started as a lowered springs, struts & sway bar upgrade. Now it's turned into all of that plus TT front, LSD, clutch/flywheel & rear axle beam bushings.

Money and time.....

Anyone have feedback on Powerflex bushings?

Last edited:

dirtride

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
Well, I just verified that the TT brake calipers, mounted on the spindles DO interfere/will not fit with the BBS RX II, 16" wheels. (Jetta Wolfsburg wheels)

Hmm... This upgrade may be going to the classifieds.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Well, I just verified that the TT brake calipers, mounted on the spindles DO interfere/will not fit with the BBS RX II, 16" wheels. (Jetta Wolfsburg wheels)

Hmm... This upgrade may be going to the classifieds.
Don't all the caliper brackets interchange?

Meaning just use your old calipers/brackets and rotors.

duwem

Veteran Member
TDI
But I think 1.8T and VR6 caliper brackets will bolt on to the tt spindles and are just shorter for the smaller rotors. Not sure if the calipers are different too, but if the brackets fit the 1.8/VR ones would fit those backets.

The bigger concern on vortex was that the ball joint hangs down lower due to the spindle geometry and can hit the inside of the wheel during travel. Some are able to get away with it by shortening the mounting studs, some have found out the hard way the studs were too long by cutting groves in the inside of there wheels.

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
But I think 1.8T and VR6 caliper brackets will bolt on to the tt spindles and are just shorter for the smaller rotors. Not sure if the calipers are different too, but if the brackets fit the 1.8/VR ones would fit those backets.

The bigger concern on vortex was that the ball joint hangs down lower due to the spindle geometry and can hit the inside of the wheel during travel. Some are able to get away with it by shortening the mounting studs, some have found out the hard way the studs were too long by cutting groves in the inside of there wheels.
The 1.8t/vr6 calipers with the 11.3" rotors use the same caliper as the TT. Its just the mounting bracket that is different for the 12.3" rotors on the TT.

The BBS RX II's are also a bit of an exception for OEM 16" wheels that do NOT clean the 12.3" rotors. Most other OEM 16's will clear them without issue.

dirtride

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
No spacers. The calipers barely touch the id of the inner rim, enough to make a slight scratch/gouge. Sure, I could grind down some casting of the caliper, but I don't like that idea. It's just too tight for comfort. Going to keep my eye out for 17"s.

Last edited:

duwem

Veteran Member
TDI
Anyone know if an 01 TT front wheel drive uses the same wheel bearing as an 02 golf. My car needs bearings so I figured should put new ones in these TT spindles. But if I don't get around to doing the swap would like to know I could put them in my stock TT spindles.

duwem

Veteran Member
TDI
I was able to confirm that by calling a second dealer.

Thanks!

duwem

Veteran Member
TDI
Hoping to do this swap this weekend. Ball joints are in the mail, and I have everything else ready except brake rotors and pads but should be able to get those at the auto parts store.

Will post up how she handles after I get it done and aligned.

duwem

Veteran Member
TDI
Oh, and autozone rotors for the large ones are $51 each, pads are almost $90 for the pair of the best one...so may end up throwing on a slightly used set of 1.8T pads rotors and the shorter caliper brackets, but we will see how poor I want to feel when I get to that point.