Anyone use these?

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I tried something very similar, but with an LED matrix. The plastic vent housing was good quality, but the lights rusted out real bad due to the road salt. I salvaged the vent housings and replaced the original lights housings with something I found on e-bay, but much better quality. Adopting the replacement fixtures turned out to be a major project.

Last edited:

G Men 08

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Golf 5 spd
I currently don't have any and would like to find a set of good quality, high output units to help cut through the snow. Other than adding a light bad on the front of the car and wiring up some PIAA or similar round rally style lights, im not sure where else to look.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
those cheap chinese lights definitely rust quick (any of the metal pieces), and the wiring isn't of the most durable quality, from my experience. the plastic housings are probably just fine and the light quality is probably decent for the price. depends what kind of lighting you're looking for.

the hella HID pencil beam lights for the grills are amazingly bright, but also incredibly expensive, and not sure if they make them anymore. those ebay lights would be good as DRLs

G Men 08

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Golf 5 spd
The other aspect of the foglight I want is for a yellow instead of white light. Hopefully that will help break up the color chart a little and give better perspective while driving through the lovely whiteouts at 5am.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
what kind of headlights do you have? get some of the affordable quality HIDs that freakwithracket sells if you haven't already.

G Men 08

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Golf 5 spd
I just have the stock Headlights at the moment. I do need to pick up a new set because the passengers side light housing is busted up in the back. I found a set with glass lenses etc that I have saved in my bookmarks somewhere.

I do realize that some of the headlights come with the fogs installed in the a same housing, but what sort of light output are they useful for? Do they actually work, I guess is what I am asking...

Bora bora

TDI
Bora tdi150
i got simular one's to them i had to change some of the wiring as was not upto it but apart from that they fit ok. they been on the car 18 months now and some of the brackets have rusted but nothing a good wire brush and lick of paint would'nt sort out but no problems other than that..

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
the ecode headlights with the fogs in the headlight aren't really that useful as actual fog lights. they are nice to have (i use them as DRLs in certain conditions), or to just add a bit of extra auxillary light, or maybe you're on a roadtrip somewhere and a headlight goes out...

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
rather than spending money on el-cheapo fogs, i would definitely pony up for the affordable HIDs that freakwithracket sells. highly recommended, and they have fogs. you can always add grill lights later at some point if you want, whether they be simple cheap halogen or HIDs

G Men 08

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Golf 5 spd
Does he have a website, or just contact him though here?

My c4 a6 has the "foglights" in the headlight housing, and other than a few feet of width, if that, they are completely useless.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
through here. he has a long vendor thread about the lights. great guy to work with!

G Men 08

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Golf 5 spd
I have exactly the ones you showed on Ebay on my car... I wouldn't buy again...

Good to know, thank you! It is always unfortunate when something like that happens but at least you were kind enough to save me the hassle and money.

guillaumeber

Vendor
TDI
Jetta 2000 TDI
After less than 1 month on the car, the rubber that protects the back of the bulbs was completely dry and rotten, would break if I tried to remove it. Good luck to find locally...
The ''chrome'' ring around the fog is rusted solid after less than a year and even after 1 month I could see rust on the ring.
I had problem with the wiring which is pretty cheap too. The included bulbs burnt after a very short time. The grill which holds the fog themselves don't go very well in the grill slot... and it doesn't clip very well... I need to use tie-rap and I put some screws to hold the fog in place...
Really... don't buy that...
g.b.