franko6 says my brand new nozzles are bad!?!?

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
Have Kermas calibrated and flowed injectors with set up nozzles in my 1Z. No issues and car runs great.

I have no experience with Frank other than him telling me my lift sensor on my one injector is garbage now and I need a new injector because my connector was chopped off by the previous owner. He refused to touch it and said toss it in the garbage. In my defense car ran just fine and was like that for years. I bought a new injector from someone here in a Bosch package and then had Kerma do my service. I didn't like the attitude I received IMHO.

Sent from USS Enterprise

robnitro

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI GLS silver
Have Kermas calibrated and flowed injectors with set up nozzles in my 1Z. No issues and car runs great.

I have no experience with Frank other than him telling me my lift sensor on my one injector is garbage now and I need a new injector because my connector was chopped off by the previous owner. He refused to touch it and said toss it in the garbage. In my defense car ran just fine and was like that for years. I bought a new injector from someone here in a Bosch package and then had Kerma do my service. I didn't like the attitude I received IMHO.

Sent from USS Enterprise
How did the car run fine with the connector chopped off? That 3rd injector allows the ecu to set timing for injection. Or was it spliced in another way??? That would work ok, it's just 2 wires.

I never got a bad attitude from Frank, even when I was getting head work done by someone else! Maybe you didn't like the news that you needed a new injector, but guess what, you still bought a new one... so what attitude, if he was right?

If he was wrong, you would still be running the one with the connector chopped off, but why did you get a new one? So in essence you are saying that Frank was right, despite not liking the original diagnosis?

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
I HATE this stuff...

Before I spew what I am am thinking, I'm going to study on my response.

For now:

To the best of my ability, I deal honestly with people. I wish the same could be said about everyone else.

Last edited:

ghohouston

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta Sedan TDI 5 Speed
Frank, when kerma saw this thread, they said they would check the injectors out, and IF the nozzles were bad in any way, they would replace them, and set them up to my injectors... I had thought about it, and figured why spend another $300 plus bucks on another set of nozzles, when I can find out and or make the ones I already had purchased right.

vwjettadsl

TDI
TDI’s
Franks part im not sure how he did it, but why would he not test the other 3 nozzles??? You cant just say hey these are bad, without testing them. And kerma is setting the nozzles up to the injectors, resting, shimming, etc, frank was supposed to do this originally. And I will be installing the injectors in my car
You are asking why only test one nozzle, well ask yourself this, if you were Frank and you tested one nozzle and it did not meet your specified standards, why bother to test the other three? There is nothing you can do at that point, you have an incomplete set. That's the way I'd look at it, its not like he has other Bosio's on the shelf to complete a set.

Quit fueling a divisive topic, there are better things in life to do.;)

Honestly I don't know what you are trying to accomplish with this thread, you have the injectors, put them in your car and start driving. That was your original goal right? Stick to it.

My $.02

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
How did the car run fine with the connector chopped off? That 3rd injector allows the ecu to set timing for injection. Or was it spliced in another way??? That would work ok, it's just 2 wires.

I never got a bad attitude from Frank, even when I was getting head work done by someone else! Maybe you didn't like the news that you needed a new injector, but guess what, you still bought a new one... so what attitude, if he was right?

If he was wrong, you would still be running the one with the connector chopped off, but why did you get a new one? So in essence you are saying that Frank was right, despite not liking the original diagnosis?
Car ran great with the wires spliced into the harness. I bought a new injector regardless because I was told it was junk, and went with Kerma. Was he wrong or right? I don't think my injector was junk because the connector was missing. Car ran fine and I was looking to upgrade to make more power.

My . 02

Sent from USS Enterprise

kleinergti1

TDI
99.5,00,01 etc etc
I have been doing business with Frank for over 5 years. In that time frame i have never once felt mislead on the countless injectors & cylinder heads I have sent to Frank.

A five page thread filled with opinions is not going to solve your injector issue anyhow.

79TA7.6

Veteran Member
Live: Wilbur/Creston; Work: Moses Lake Washington
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta, 2002 TDI Golf, 2005 TDI Golf
Car ran great with the wires spliced into the harness. I bought a new injector regardless because I was told it was junk, and went with Kerma. Was he wrong or right? I don't think my injector was junk because the connector was missing. Car ran fine and I was looking to upgrade to make more power.

My . 02

Sent from USS Enterprise
Without having a clue as to what went on, I would assume that Frank called the injector body junk and refused to touch it because too many things can happen to this #3 injector. You might not have had issues at the time you were running it but if you did have issues after Frank installed the new nozzles, who would you have blamed? It worked fine before you sent it off. I have a #3 that had a bare wire showing, and now I am getting a lift needle fault. Worked fine before. Who's fault is it? For me it doesn't matter, Aaron is getting me a new injector. And this injector was not touched by Frank, now maybe I wish it was as he would have refused to work on it and I would not be stuck paying twice for the same work.

brnsgrbr

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GOLF GTI converted to GTD
I will say this. I have dealt with most of the vendors that market to TDI club. I have had good and bad service from each one period.

They are human. Sometimes things are going to happen. Sometimes some vendors are a little competitive and a lot of members have witnessed that too.

I have spoken to several TDI club members, mostly at the TDIfests to compare notes. Some members have had perfect service and parts from a vendor, while another member promises never do business with that same vendor ever again. If you know your vehicle and feel something isn't right with something you paid for, more times than not, call/email that vendor and they will make it right. My advise is not to freak out, unless the issue is not getting resolved. I have had that issue as well. That is what the vendor accountability thread is for. I prefer to do business with some vendors than others, mostly do to my luck of the draw.

Just to keep the record straight, I am guilty of freaking out too. Sometimes there is a lot on the line or a lot of stress in one's life when a mishap occurs. Thanks to those members that "chilled me out".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
I have 6 ALH engines in my fleet. I had injectors done by frank, DBW and DFIS. The only one I had trouble with is with a number 3 injector I got from frank on a hot swap program. Frank helped me trouble shoot it on the phone and when we diagnosed it, he overnighted a replacement. Other then that, I have been pleased with all of the above service providers.

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
This is far from being a post about performance. This is a post about bashing.. it is biased, unfounded and libelous.

What I said about the nozzles, I maintain is exactly what happened. I installed a nozzle, it leaked. I checked another. It leaked. I quit. Although I could fix the problem, I would not want to get into the risk that they would become 'altered'. Now that they have left my hands, there is no evidence. You only have my word for what I found. I have a very good reputation and work to maintain it.

You chose whom you wish to believe. I wish you a lot of luck with that choice.

DastechnoViking: Your remembrance and my SOP don't relate. Repair of a broken #3 injector wire can be a problem, but we do repair them quite often and can check them. Unless the wires ohm open or short, I would not recommend trashing it. We would not buy the injector with a broken wire or sell it as an exchange. I do not recall the exact incident.

Last edited:

ghohouston

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta Sedan TDI 5 Speed
Update: nozzles have been in since saturday. Car runs great, and got a noticable pick up in power! Havent driven enough yet to comment on a mileage increase/ decrease (if any).

zukikat

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS, 2003 Jetta GLS Wagon
I'd personally ask for the 'bad' nozzles back, install them into your car and see what happens. You might be pleasantly surprised.
I'd also be surprised if he put them in as-is and the car wouldn't run decently or better, but that doesn't entirely mean they'd actually be "right". See my explanation below...
This would most likely put a end to all the bickering whether you actually need damn balancing in the first place.
Doubtful... this kind of bickering is about like "which engine oil is the best for my _____ vehicle".
Can someone just screw a set of new nozzles onto random used injector bodies, put them in their car, get it to start, and drive it that way? Apparently so.
Is that the right way to do it? Some apparently say yes, some say hell no.
I have a set of bosios I installed with out pop testing with over 250k miles on them. They are just now starting to act up readings are a little off.
Trying to be "thrifty" in my early TDI days I bought a used "complete set" of "ready to go" injectors/nozzles off the forums, they were listed by a seller as cleaned/balanced injector set with new PP520 nozzles, fully tested...
Who physically installed the nozzles onto the injectors and whether they were actually tested, I don't know.
I put them in, the car idled horribly. The Group 13 was all over the place.
I put the stock set back in, life was normal again...
So I sent these "ready to go" injectors/nozzles off to get tested, the tester explained that some random individual (the seller) had "improperly" installed a set of new nozzles on injectors without proper shimming, among other problems.
The tester was able to salvage the situation for me, fix all of the problems and ship them back to me very quickly.
Once they arrived I eagerly installed them but once the engine finally started again with these installed the car had an obvious miss.
Swapping them one by one and trying to start it each time I narrowed the problem down to the #3 injector, installed the #3 stock injector with the other three upgraded ones installed and to my surprise the car idled perfect and drove normally with three PP520's and the one stock #3 injector/nozzle in it!!!
Since I needed the car for my long freeway work commute I opted to put the other three factory injectors/nozzles back in and send the entire upgraded set back for more testing to find out what was wrong with its' #3...
This time the tester found that the #3 nozzle tip had become jammed with a tiny metal sliver stuck in the tip which the tester said likely came off a line nut or pump head thread during installation.
He fixed the problem, made sure they were all correct again, returned them to me (along with the tiny metal sliver), I put them all in again, and the car ran fine, so much stronger than stock...
About 6k miles later that car got totalled so I pulled them out and moved them over to my replacement TDI when I got it home and I've put 32k more miles on it/them since then...
I have no idea how many miles were on these injectors when the seller put the PP520 nozzles on them so I have no idea how many miles are on the injectors themselves at this point but the car still runs fine...
I can't say who's right and wrong in this thread as this argument is yet another "camp A" vs "camp B" TDI vendors debate but my point is, just because the car seems to "run fine" with a set of nozzles in it doesn't mean they're working properly.
Notice I'm not bashing the seller who sold me the set that ultimately cost me hundreds more than if I'd just bought new ones with a swap arrangement, nor am I saying that F or K is right or wrong.
I have TDI friends who really like Kerma and I've personally dealt with both DBW and Franko6 several times so far for several different things, and it's never been cheap but I'm totally satisfied with the results I've gotten from both.
So pick a camp, make a purchase, install the parts, and decide for yourself.

robnitro

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI GLS silver
It confirms that we should check group 13... even if the nozzles were installed perfectly, there are other factors that can cause imbalances which would show up there. (leaky fuel line nut- not sealing inj washer, etc)

Calibration is not going to guarantee a smooth running engine.

And the opposite, you don't need calibration all the time, if you can double check and make sure you are running well.
But I know I will get chewed out for that ;)

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
All 4 nozzles tested out perfect by kerma. So frank was just flat out lied to me...
You are slandering a great man. I hope he does not read this.

I know you have never seen how Frank calibrates nozzle for sure. I have a BSME and Frank's method is rock solid. Now if you want a second opinion send them to Drivbiwire as he has highly precise method that will give you precise results. Now I like both Frank and Pete and while there methods are different both give great results.

Also bashing a person here is very rude. I have had bad experiences with X here, but I communicated directly with X to resolve it