Scan Gauge II XGauge - EGT & Boost

hymato

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta TDI(buyback) Now 2005.5 Jetta tdi
I just got my scangaugeII , Can anyone help me with the dpf code, coolant temp and the boost codes for a 2010 jetta. I got the egt 1 pre turbo but I'm having problems getting the boost one to work.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
There should be instructions in the Jetta forum. This is the Passat forum. :)

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
I think the stuff linked to in my signature should also work for your car. Let me know if not.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
our ecu's are the same....because the engines are the same. Doesn't matter what kinda of car you have if you have a CJAA engine, it will work.
The engines are totally different. The Passat has a CKRA, not a CJAA.

I don't know if there are any differences between ScanGauge programming between the two engines. Maybe they're different, maybe they aren't.

Herkguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 passat SE sun/nav
SC2 arrived today, set up went easy thanks to all of the posts in here.
I loaded EGT 1 and 3 plus the boost. Hopefully no more interrupted regents.

109 shipped from Advance auto was a smoking deal for what this thing will do.
A quick drive shows everything working.

Anyways, thanks to everyone here that figured out all the codes for the temps and boost!!! :D

VeeDubTDI

TDI
It displays the same as coolant temp. Not sure if it's accurate...

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
BMW Advanced Diesel...2011 BMW 335d
SC2 arrived today, set up went easy thanks to all of the posts in here.
I loaded EGT 1 and 3 plus the boost. Hopefully no more interrupted regents.

109 shipped from Advance auto was a smoking deal for what this thing will do.
A quick drive shows everything working.

Anyways, thanks to everyone here that figured out all the codes for the temps and boost!!! :D

sounds awesome, do you notice that its slow when reading boost, I mean like really slow...

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I think it has three speeds... slow, medium, and fast. When it's on fast, it updates several times per second, which is decent. On slow, it's useless for monitoring boost and EGT.

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
I think it has three speeds... slow, medium, and fast. When it's on fast, it updates several times per second, which is decent. On slow, it's useless for monitoring boost and EGT.
I had to be on fast I'm sure I was and it still was slow for me, the P3C is right on...anywho

Herkguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 passat SE sun/nav
sounds awesome, do you notice that its slow when reading boost, I mean like really slow...

I am out of town right now, but from the few trips I did with it, the response seemed fast. I know the EGT changes instantly. I don't have anything to compare the boost response to so it appears ok.

I am following the p3c thread you guys are on to see how they compare overall.
This SC2 is great for now, I can at least see true water temps, volts and mostly watch for regens. :)

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
I am out of town right now, but from the few trips I did with it, the response seemed fast. I know the EGT changes instantly. I don't have anything to compare the boost response to so it appears ok.

I am following the p3c thread you guys are on to see how they compare overall.
This SC2 is great for now, I can at least see true water temps, volts and mostly watch for regens. :)
sweet, sounds like it works for what you need it for...

Ironman11142

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 White Jetta TDI 6M
comparing scangauge to MFD for mpgs....

I know that the MFD on my car over-reports by 1.5 to 2 mpg, but scangauge mpg seems to report much lower....I have engine set to diesel a....

is this right, or does it need tweaking?

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I know that the MFD on my car over-reports by 1.5 to 2 mpg, but scangauge mpg seems to report much lower....I have engine set to diesel a....

is this right, or does it need tweaking?

You adjust the scanguage by using the "fillup" option and entering the data when you fill up your tank.

As for the MFI, you can adjust that with VCDS.

It seems redundant to be using both.

TypeRod

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Prem.
EGT 1 (Degrees Fahrenheit)
TXD: 07DF0178
RXF: 054106780000
RXD: 3810
MTH: 00090032FFD8
NAM: EG1

EGT 2 (Degrees Fahrenheit)
RXD: 4808
MTH: 09000032FFD8
NAM: EG2

EGT 3 (Degrees Fahrenheit)
RXF: 032100000000
RXD: 2010
NAM: EG3

EGT 4 (Degrees Fahrenheit)
RXD: 3010
NAM: EG4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi guys, so I need help here. I got my scangauge quite some time ago, and I just set it for re-gen monitoring or at least I THOUGHT I did. and I can't remember which one I set it up for. I was messaging with tdiatlast and he recommended monitoring the EGR temp, which I think is above named EG1? But since I'm not sure can someone just state the obvious for me and tell me which one is for the EGR temp and which one do I need for monitoring re-gens. I may have coded mine incorrectly when I first got it and may have been watching the wrong paramter for re-gens. lol. Thanks in advance! btw, i just trolled thru this whole thread to refresh my memory but it didnt help at all just confused me more. lol

Last edited:

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Tesla Model S85, 2017 Chevy Bolt
Hi guys, so I need help here. I got my scangauge quite some time ago, and I just set it for re-gen monitoring or at least I THOUGHT I did. and I can't remember which one I set it up for. I was messaging with tdiatlast and he recommended monitoring the EGR temp, which I think is above named EG1? But since I'm not sure can someone just state the obvious for me and tell me which one is for the EGR temp and which one do I need for monitoring re-gens. I may have coded mine incorrectly when I first got it and may have been watching the wrong paramter for re-gens. lol. Thanks in advance! btw, i just trolled thru this whole thread to refresh my memory but it didnt help at all just confused me more. lol
EGT1 is correct, I also monitor turbo boost for active regens. EGT temp will drop but regens are still active as noted by elevated turbo boost at idle.

TXD - 07DF0170
RXF - 054186700000
RXD - 3810
MTH - 00910BB8FF64
NAM - PSI

VeeDubTDI

TDI
This is the most useful EGT sensor to monitor if you are only interested in regens. Anything over 1000 steady is a regen...

I monitor two sensors... the one listed above and the pre-turbo sensor that is "EG1"

TurboDieselPoint

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE 6-Speed Manual
No offense to anyone with a Scan Gauge (I think they are pretty awesome but don't want one on my dash distracting me.) but honestly, I don't understand how people aren't noticing regens even without a Scan Gauge. In my car, its pretty obvious. My car very periodically regens (about every 300-400 miles, as is to be expected) and when it does so, the idle RPM goes up to around 900 as opposed to the normal 780 or so, in conjunction with the fans going from silent to hurricane force in no time. Instant MPG suffers, and I can hear the engine become ever so slightly more "diesel" sounding with the extra injection event.

I haven't (and don't plan to) ever shut it off in a regen, though I have already experienced quite a few with 2200k miles on the clock. I simply continue to drive it while it is still obviously regenerating, and then as soon as the idle drops again and the fans spin down to the usual speed, I continue to drive for a few more minutes with ample coasting in gear to help cool down that turbo and exhaust system ASAP. Done.

Is my procedure necessary? No. Does it make me feel like I'm saving my turbo, avoiding DPF clogging, and minimizing oil dilution with fuel? Absolutely.

Last edited:

TypeRod

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Prem.
This is the most useful EGT sensor to monitor if you are only interested in regens. Anything over 1000 steady is a regen...

I monitor two sensors... the one listed above and the pre-turbo sensor that is "EG1"
Thanks so much VeeDub!

EGT1 is correct, I also monitor turbo boost for active regens. EGT temp will drop but regens are still active as noted by elevated turbo boost at idle.

TXD - 07DF0170
RXF - 054186700000
RXD - 3810
MTH - 00910BB8FF64
NAM - PSI
Thanks darrelld! I'm going to add this parameter as well!

No offense to anyone with a Scan Gauge (I think they are pretty awesome but don't want one on my dash distracting me.) but honestly, I don't understand how people aren't noticing regens even without a Scan Gauge. In my car, its pretty obvious. My car very periodically regens (about every 300-400 miles, as is to be expected) and when it does so, the idle RPM goes up to around 900 as opposed to the normal 780 or so, in conjunction with the fans going from silent to hurricane force in no time. Instant MPG suffers, and I can hear the engine become ever so slightly more "diesel" sounding with the extra injection event.

I haven't (and don't plan to) ever shut it off in a regen, though I have already experienced quite a few with 2200k miles on the clock. I simply continue to drive it while it is still obviously regenerating, and then as soon as the idle drops again and the fans spin down to the usual speed, I continue to drive for a few more minutes with ample coasting in gear to help cool down that turbo and exhaust system ASAP. Done.

Is my procedure necessary? No. Does it make me feel like I'm saving my turbo, avoiding DPF clogging, and minimizing oil dilution with fuel? Absolutely.
Hi TurboDiesel, for me its more to idiot proof interrupting re-gens. I don't want to have to listen for fan speed (although fan speed is a good indication), or watch for a slight higher than idle rpm. Maybe its the a/c compressor kickin in that is the cause for a slightly higher idle, if the a/c happens to be on. I just like to have all possible data available for me to see and interpret than to just go off of physical things happening. but if you're that keen to a re-gen w/o a scan gauge, i think thats awesome! but im just an idiot who is very lazy! lol!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
They may be easier to spot at idle, but at road speeds they are almost imperceptible. A gauge is a good thing to have if you want to take an active part in your cars health.

Herkguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 passat SE sun/nav
I have only had 3-4 regens happening when shutting down in 34000 miles. Mine almost always happen on the highway and until this SC2 I never could tell when they were happening. I missed a couple of those on shutdown because...ummm maybe the music was on a little higher and I didn't here the fans until power down...:eek:

The irony is I finally got the SC2 and within two weeks of driving my turbo started making noise.:rolleyes:

Should get it back this week:)

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
Personally want to monitor REGENS, OK back to the topic....

Just got a SGII. Installed and got it up & running today w/ custom XGAUGES thanks to this thread.

From this thread: EGT1 and Boost worked. The factory Water Temp worked, with those three
displayed, I saw a REGEN first drive out. The EGT1 spiked to 1200F and water temp went up
a few degrees. It did not last long..... The LOD factory gauge worked. I assume that is torque.
I recall monitoring torque with my ROSS TECH CAN cable and saving it to file; the % was about
the same on freeway as I saw with SGII.

From this thread, could NOT get Catalytic Converter to work, so I went with "EGT4)

"Catalyst Temperature" from Scangauge II site (did not work):
TXD: 07DF013C
RXF: 0441053C0000
RXD: 2810

I went with EGT4 and it worked. This is just past DPF I read.

Is "EGT3" better to monitor? I think one EGT is all you need for REGEN monitoring?

Any comments on good XGAUGES to add? Thanks.

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Personally want to monitor REGENS, OK back to the topic....

Just got a SGII. Installed and got it up & running today w/ custom XGAUGES thanks to this thread.

From this thread: EGT1 and Boost worked. The factory Water Temp worked, with those three
displayed, I saw a REGEN first drive out. The EGT1 spiked to 1200F and water temp went up
a few degrees. It did not last long..... The LOD factory gauge worked. I assume that is torque.
I recall monitoring torque with my ROSS TECH CAN cable and saving it to file; the % was about
the same on freeway as I saw with SGII.

From this thread, could NOT get Catalytic Converter to work, so I went with "EGT4)

"Catalyst Temperature" from Scangauge II site (did not work):

I went with EGT4 and it worked. This is just past DPF I read.

Is "EGT3" better to monitor? I think one EGT is all you need for REGEN monitoring?

Any comments on good XGAUGES to add? Thanks.
Here is the best information to monitor on your Passat...

EGT1 (pre-turbo): This is useful for monitoring warm-up mode and temps going into the turbo. This will change very rapidly as you change the accelerator position.
NAM: EGT

CAT B1S1: This is useful for monitoring regeneration activity. Anything over 1000F is a regen.
NAM: CAT

Boost pressure: This is useful for monitoring boost pressure. You should see 0 PSI with the ignition on and the engine off. You should see a max of 23.0 PSI on a stock tune.
TXD: 07DF0170
RXF: 054186700000
MTH: 00910BB8FF64 (for sea level - you'll need to adjust the last 4 digits if you live at altitude in order to get to 0 PSI with the ignition on and the engine off. Also note that the baseline will change with atmospheric pressure as you change altitude.)
NAM: BST

Water Temperature: This is useful for monitoring actual water temperature
This is a normal gauge - no XGAUGE required, just cycle through the presets.

Personal note: I watch both exhaust temp sensors listed above and wait for both to be below 450F before shutting off the engine.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
I routinely drive between 2500 ft above sea level and sea level. Just to go to the post office, three miles away, is a drop of 1000 feet. To go to the supermarket is a drop of 1700 feet. Therefore, I choose to monitor absolute manifold pressure instead of boost.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Sure you can, it'll just be off by a few PSI, but it will give you a good idea of what's going on.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
Here is the best information to monitor on your Passat...

CAT B1S1: This is useful for monitoring regeneration activity. Anything over 1000F is a regen.
NAM: CAT

Personal note: I watch both exhaust temp sensors listed above and wait for both to be below 450F before shutting off the engine.
Thanks, but the code for CAT you posted is the same one I used. It did not work for me.... I might have had a typo.... I'll try it again.

Yea the lower the turbo temp at shut down the better, good idea. G