Guide: Replacing the blower motor in a MK4 Golf or Jetta

RacerTodd

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI
I recently replaced the blower motor in my Golf. I took some pictures and wrote a guide for the procedure.
This procedure will work for the MK4 Golf/Jetta. The New Beetles use the same motor, and may be able to use the same basic procedure. Since I don't have one I don't know how the glovebox attaches to the car.

There are a few how-to video on YouTube, but they all are done with the glovebox removed. With the glovebox removed, the blower motor is very easy to access.
Problem is, the glovebox is a bit of a pain to remove. Seven of the eight screws are easy to access, but there is one hidden under the console. Taking out the console requires taking out the rear console extension which requires removing the rear ashtray and cup holder.

My guide shows how to access the blower motor without removing the glovebox. Total time is about 30 minutes. It's a pretty easy thing to do, I'd rate it a 2 on a scale of 1 to 10.

Tools required are minimal:
Torx T20 socket
Torx T25 socket
6mm socket
Ratchet for above, short extension isn’t a bad idea
Trim/molding removal tool
A quarter coin (yup, your standard American 25 cent coin)
Something soft to kneel on - optional if you’re young and have flexible joints, mandatory if you have creaky old man knees like me!
Notes on tools:
A screwdriver-type Torx tool will work OK for the T20 screws. The T25 screw is on the side of the dash and you may not have enough clearance for that type of tool. A socket works best for the T25.
If you don’t have 6mm socket, a 6mm box wrench will work. There isn’t a lot of room to swing the wrench, but it is doable.
You can use a wide screwdriver or putty knife in place of the trim tool. Wrapping the tool with some tape or such will help prevent damage to the plastic trim.

The guide is here, it is in PDF format.

OlyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf
Todd,

This is excellent! Thanks so much for taking the time to create and post this. May wish to add key words "how to blower motor" and such.....

I've saved it in my TDI folder....

meatgarden

TDI
Jetta 2000, red
Thanks!

Replaced mine today. Great photos along with the instructions. It was easy to see where everything was in the pictures.
On mine, there was a sheet of insulation across the whole area behind the glovebox that I had to work out of the way as well.