ALH TDI: Thunk, zero boost, whistling sound from engine. Help!

Woodrobin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS
So, driving down the highway, accelerating coming off the onramp. I hear a thunk/clank noise. Immediately after, boost goes to zero on the boost gauge. There is now a whistling sound coming from the engine. The whistle increases the more I get on the throttle.

Pulled off the highway, looked under the hood and listened. Can't see a hose or valve out of place, so I'm imagining either a hose came loose underneath the car (I hope) or something worse (I fear).

I changed the oil a couple of weeks ago, and the oil level is still fine, if that information helps at all.

I'll happily post pics or link to video if someone tells me what they would like me to take a look at.

Any advice would be appreciated.

kiwibru

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2-door, 2k Silver. Red RTDI now gone but not forgotten!
Lower IC pipe probably blew. Hole in hose? Clamp let it slip off? Time to climb under the car, pull the lower engine cover. YOu might be able to check it out from the front right wheel well too and jack it, support with stand and remove the wheel. Worse case is you have to pull the bumper to get to the lower IC pipe at the SMIC location.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Lower hose from inter cooler, probably slipped off, might even be visibly folded back from dragging on the road depending on if you still have a belly pan on it, or have added a skid plate. Check and see should be just a matter of reclamping. Though if the hose dragged on the pavement for any length of time you might have to replace it.

Woodrobin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS
Lower IC pipe probably blew. Hole in hose? Clamp let it slip off? Time to climb under the car, pull the lower engine cover. YOu might be able to check it out from the front right wheel well too and jack it, support with stand and remove the wheel. Worse case is you have to pull the bumper to get to the lower IC pipe at the SMIC location.
I have a front-mounted intercooler, but I assume the rest applies. It'd just be where the lower IC pipe is routed that would be different, correct?

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Just check the pipe from wherever your inter cooler is, it cannot be leaking or that car will have a hard time getting out of its own way. If you have a front mounted ic there must be a pipe or hose probably from the bottom, make sure it is still together, if not make it so.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Oh I have a FMIC too and I was stomping it going onto the freeway and my boost went to zero. First thing I did was look back and see if smoke was coming out as I did lunch my VNT-15 turbo. Popped the hood and yup I saw right away that the pipe had left the clamp. So with only a little vise grip, I put it back on and tightened.

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
Your boost hose came off your FMIC while I was driving it last time you were here. IIRC I think I told you the aftermarket FMIC didn't have a "bubble flare" to hold it on.

Woodrobin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS
Your boost hose came off your FMIC while I was driving it last time you were here. IIRC I think I told you the aftermarket FMIC didn't have a "bubble flare" to hold it on.
I had forgotten that. I'll get that hooked back on ASAP. Any suggestions for encouraging that sucker to stay on there in future?

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
...Any suggestions for encouraging that sucker to stay on there in future?
Use a strip of very coarse emery cloth to rough up a ½" wide band around the circumference of the aluminum tube and double clamp the hose. One clamp on the rough band to keep the hose from slipping off, and another on the smooth part for a good seal.