Feeler: 2002 Golf 4Dr, seized engine, in Maryland

R2point0

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 2015, Silver; Passat, 1997, Blue
Well, it happened. My ex wife got the Golf in the settlement and proceeded to run it dry of oil, then overfill it, then blow a seal (I think), and now the engine won't turn over. As much as it pains me I cannot feasibly repair it - I already have a 97 Passat basket case in the garage.

Here are the details

• 2002 4Dr Golf, GLS trim, 5 sp, sunroof, black cloth interior,
  • 190K miles (I think)
  • GTI suspension, aluminum 5 spokes with 2-3 spares
  • Engine will not turn over, either by starter or pushing it in 5th gear.
  • AC not working, went out at the end of summer, cause unknown
  • Power steering rack needs to be rebuilt - wife used wrong fluid
  • Misc regular crap - CEL likely due to warp field collapse, ABS light on
  • No structural rust, just some paint chips on the hood.
The engine ran strong before this; I was actually going to get it back and fix it when it was more trivial stuff

Any estimates on what it would be worth?

Thanks,
R2.0

Last edited:

autoxerwgn

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI DSG, 2006 TDI (Sold)
I'd be interested if you were closer to me. I don't have a way to tow a car home, and paying for it would be expensive.

As far as value, a running and driving car with about 250k can be found in the $3000-$4000-ish range, with various levels of wear and tear. A used motor can cost anywhere in the $1500-ish range and up (quick search of car-part.com). I would say that the car is worth in the $1000-1500 range not running, unless the car is in otherwise perfect condition with the right buyer.

Might be worth taking some good pictures and listing the car up on Ebay.

R2point0

Veteran Member
TDI
Quick update. Thanks for all the feedback, and I finally gota chance to take pics today after I cleaned off the snow. Hope to post/send tomorrow.

ETA: Google is officially on my ****list. They've disabled photo editing and sharing in Picasaweb, and in Google Plus you can only share links and edit if you have Chrome. So I can't scrub the license plates out until I get home.

Last edited:

R2point0

Veteran Member
TDI
Here goes. Sorry about the picture quality - I think the camera lens was getting fogged at some point:

snowman1981

TDI
2010 vw jetta tdi
i would go $500 cash in hand if your interested. just with all the needed repairs of it needing a engine along with most all of the power steering components from having the wrong fluid then it gets expensive. a/c not working then any thing else that it may need to go through Maryland state inspection. also looks like the passenger side door seal would need replaced. if your interested message me and ill give you my cell number. thanks barry

csb

Veteran Member
TDI
2000, 2001, 2002, 2003 Jetta TDI's, 2000 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat TDI
Worth more, IMHO. I'm not in Maryland and I'd still pay that amount plus shipping of $800.00. Personally, I think you should hold out for a grand or higher. It looks like a pretty solid car and the front clip parts alone are worth $500.

Last edited:

R2point0

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the feedback everyone. And I apologize for not getting back to the people that messaged me. I've been sick as a dog the past couple of days. I am getting a replacement title from the MVA in a day or 2 - no liens, my name only.

hughesjasonk

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta MK4;
There will be a million opinions on "what someone thinks that it is worth" bluf is that it is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Tbh with all of the issues you will be lucky to get 500 bux for it. At the end of the day you are looking at about 40 hours or more and probably more than 3k in parts and lubricants for the repairs. You will get more money for it if you strip it and sell the parts.

Just my $0.02
Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

csb

Veteran Member
TDI
I disagree...aside from the part about parting it out. If I were local, for example, I would pay you a grand with no hesitation (and I'm a dealer so, of course, I always want something for nothing, right? ;) ). I am not local, though, which kinda' sucks. I would perform all repairs myself, and already have a replacement engine, etc, so the car is clearly worth more to me than to someone with no parts and more limited experience working on them. I suspect someone in your area is in a similar situation to my own. If you can, or care to, hold out for a G or more. If you want to basically give it away, $500.00.

Last edited:

1chrisapple

Veteran Member
TDI
02 alh 5spd stock 231k
I suspect that if u people don't have cash in hand like was offered your opinion means jack.you know anyone can sit back and say id pay that to and shipping and blah blah well then offer it otherwise u r bluffing

R2point0

Veteran Member
TDI
I suspect that if u people don't have cash in hand like was offered your opinion means jack.you know anyone can sit back and say id pay that to and shipping and blah blah well then offer it otherwise u r bluffing
Please bear in mind that this is a feeler thread. I specifically asked people's opinions on the car's value. If you have an opinion on that I'd love to hear it, but I don't appreciate someone trying to discourage people from posting information that I asked for.

1chrisapple

Veteran Member
TDI
02 alh 5spd stock 231k
oh well my bad then I thought u were trying to sell the car I mean anyone can say yea ill give that much to and all that crap I mean I can say ill give u 10k but till u c it it doesn't mean crap or unless I express more intrest than just throwing it down in a post.but that's just me in reality I just paid 1k for a 02 jetta 5spd drove it 700 miles home no problems other than a leaking steering rack.to me your car would be worth 7-800 bc a engine will run another 1500-2k depending on mileage and how far one will be shipped to get it to u.but if someone was to have all the necessary parts ready to go and the car isn't a rust bucket on the bottom side then id say u could squeeze 1500 out of it but that's if the only thing it needs is the engine.that being said u r very welcome for the info and if u feel my post r unecissary then have them deleted

csb

Veteran Member
TDI
I, for one, would absolutely, positively, willingly pay the seller a grand (or a bit over) if I were local. "Bluffing" is when you say you would do something, or have something, but actually wouldn't or don't. I am not that guy...just as I am not a cheapskate.

Last edited:

csb

Veteran Member
TDI
OP...if I were you, I would follow 1chrisapple's lead/suggestion and have his less-than-helpful posts deleted. As for mine...might as well leave 'em up since I realize your car is worth more than $500 and am saying it loudly and proudly ;) . Good luck getting a reasonable price! If you wait, you will.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
Worth more, IMHO. I'm not in Maryland and I'd still pay that amount plus shipping of $800.00. Personally, I think you should hold out for a grand or higher. It looks like a pretty solid car and the front clip parts alone are worth $500.
If you can, or care to, hold out for a G or more. If you want to basically give it away, $500.00.
Wow, seriously!? This after you had a little hissy fit last week when I posted that someone priced their car wicked cheap! And here you are full on tampering with someone else's deal. Wow.

In case you forgot here is a snippet.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=403397

My point is that I think it's kinda' dumb to tell a seller (publicly) that their price is too cheap...unless, of course, you have no intention of buying it. In that case, it's just plain uncool.
Pot. Kettle. Black.

To be clear, I think that discussions of price are fair game on the forums. And I guess you think its okay except if its a car you're interested in, in which case everyone is supposed to be quiet. I think that's "just plain uncool" man. ;)

csb

Veteran Member
TDI
Wow, seriously!? This after you had a little hissy fit last week when I posted that someone priced their car wicked cheap! And here you are full on tampering with someone else's deal. Wow.
In case you forgot here is a snippet.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=403397
Pot. Kettle. Black.
To be clear, I think that discussions of price are fair game on the forums. And I guess you think its okay except if its a car you're interested in, in which case everyone is supposed to be quiet. I think that's "just plain uncool" man. ;)

Thanks for noticing!!! I'm glad someone finally did. Nearly every time I posted here, I hoped someone would connect the dots. Then you...wonderful little you...came along and, without knowing it, helped me to make my point more clear. Interested parties (and even some who aren't) often don't react well when others say PUBLICLY that a seller's price is too cheap or that offers are too low. I thought I would do it here, then defend it, and see how well it went over. Not well at all, as it turns out, so I thank you once again! You've made my...ummm...errr...5:00 to 5:30 CST ;) .

Pot. Kettle. Not so much.

Good luck to the seller...I hope he gets as much as possible for his car.

P.S. $500.00 isn't enough LOL.

Last edited:

csb

Veteran Member
TDI
I'd give you $1001.00 IF I were local. Alas, I am not :( .

N2L

TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
R2,

I was in about the same predicament car-wise about a month ago, and I figure you might be able to use some of the things I did to make my car easier to sell.

Find a shop that can do an inspection for potential buyers. Preferably 2 or 3 shops so you can also offer peace of mind in the evaluation. The guy who bought my car, for example, paid a tech to come out and check the car out. Give people an idea about what is good, and bad, about the car. It'll get you much more agreeable offers. Talk to some small shops who have a truck And trailer or a flatbed. I sold my car you. Guy in NJ. All the shipping companies bid him 500-800 to move the car. If Lunda. Guy with a van and trailer who did it for 300 bucks.

Detail the car. If someone is buying a car from pictures alone, they want to know what's what. Is it a stain? Or just dirt? Is that a scuff. Dent, scratch? Or just lighting?

In my case, an oil evaluation was also really helpful. I was able to prove there were no metal particulates in my oil which is a huge deal for a rebuild on my type of vehicle.

Mentally, part the car out. What is the dollar figure someone could get for the car in a worst-case scenario? And base your price upon that.

Lastly, do a video walk-through; suspension, engine, doors, switches, etc. show people what works, and what needs work. It will give everyone peace of mind, and broaden your market to further distances.

Last edited:

ShannonFLHI

Kingsland, Ga/ Jacksonville, FL/ Miramar,FL
TDI
02 Golf GLS TDI (new toy),02 Jetta Wagen 2.0Ltr,(divorce forced sale 03 Ford F250 4x4 6.0Ltr, 2000 BMW 740i, 85 Honda VF1000R mc, 03 Honda CBR600RR racebike)
R2, sorry about the misfortune. My wife is taking my 02 Golf TDI in the divorce settlement also. :mad:
IMHO get $1K or more or just part it out if you have time.
This would be a great summer weekend project for anyone.

R2point0

Veteran Member
TDI
R2,

I was in about the same predicament car-wise about a month ago, and I figure you might be able to use some of the things I did to make my car easier to sell.

Find a shop that can do an inspection for potential buyers. Preferably 2 or 3 shops so you can also offer peace of mind in the evaluation. The guy who bought my car, for example, paid a tech to come out and check the car out. Give people an idea about what is good, and bad, about the car. It'll get you much more agreeable offers. Talk to some small shops who have a truck And trailer or a flatbed. I sold my car you. Guy in NJ. All the shipping companies bid him 500-800 to move the car. If Lunda. Guy with a van and trailer who did it for 300 bucks.

Detail the car. If someone is buying a car from pictures alone, they want to know what's what. Is it a stain? Or just dirt? Is that a scuff. Dent, scratch? Or just lighting?

In my case, an oil evaluation was also really helpful. I was able to prove there were no metal particulates in my oil which is a huge deal for a rebuild on my type of vehicle.

Mentally, part the car out. What is the dollar figure someone could get for the car in a worst-case scenario? And base your price upon that.

Lastly, do a video walk-through; suspension, engine, doors, switches, etc. show people what works, and what needs work. It will give everyone peace of mind, and broaden your market to further distances.
Those are great suggestions, and if I was selling it as a driver I'd be following them more closely. But this one is a parts car/engine replacement candidate - an oil analysis isn't going to be much use with a seized engine. I thought about getting it on a lift to do some better diagnosis, but it is what it is - I don't want to represent the car as anything other than "engine broke, no workee."

R2point0

Veteran Member
TDI
Another update: STILL waiting for the title from the MVA. I've received a number of offers via site message and email, which I appreciate. In order to be fair to everyone I'm not going to shop anyone's offer; once I get the title in hand I'll ask everyone for their best and final offer and take whichever one works best. I won't take a lowball, but I'm also not going to play 2 offers against each other either.