GTG Chapin, SC January 25, 2014

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
I am new to the TDI scene and have some issues that need to be addressed but would rather do it under supervision. My MK3 has 191k miles and I'm pretty sure the intake has never been cleaned. It has extremely low power when the MAF is plugged in but runs fine (to me) when unplugged. The previous owner ran it like this for years. I suspect it to be the intake being gummed up. I have no clue what other issues might be there since my CEL never turns on. I also need to replace the Crank Case Vent Tube and need to verify timing. Is it possible to tackle all this at the GTG? I'll bring whatever parts/tools that might be needed and some cash. I'm in the Coast Guard and need to get this thing tip top mechanically since I'll be traveling from Mississippi to Charleston Sc numerous times next year. I expect to put 60k miles at least this upcoming year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Please start pre-treating the two EGR pipe to exhaust manifold nuts with a good penetrating agent. They like to strip due to corrosion, and access to one of them is limited.

augie dog

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat
Thanks for the offer! I would like to check out Dreher Island because my wife and I are big campers and always looking for that next great campground. This would be a new one for us. At this time I am planning on attending. I will be leaving January 23 and staying to the 26th. Weather and realibility of my Passat dictate wether I will be there or not. I will keep your place as second choice. How far from your location is Dreher Island? Thanks again!!

drewkeen

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Please start pre-treating the two EGR pipe to exhaust manifold nuts with a good penetrating agent. They like to strip due to corrosion, and access to one of them is limited.

Good call on that. I always replace these with new ones (around 75 cent/each at dealer here) and put a dab of high temp anti-sieze on them.

RichmondKYtdi

Would love to get my microswitch fixed, i'll bring the switch. Didnt want to attempt to A. Take apart the lock assembly (at least not without supervision) 2. I dont have a dremel tool.

So looking forward to my tune!

Also: Does anyone need any interior (tan leather) parts, I was going to swap my current gray interior with my old tan one from my wrecked car but changed direction. I have seats, handles, armrest (the latch is broke) etc... Free or donate whatever to TDIclub... just need to move them out of our warehouse. I'll try to get some pics on here later on if anyone is interested.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
I think my dremel is out of commision, but surely someone can bring one.

Check into the switch fix. Using a non-sealed switch is a VERY short term fix, and the labor involved will cause you to only do the fix once.

Is it a front or back door? The back door switch replacement is much worse than the front (you have to remove the small window and its guide) - the front is bad enough.

Most people that have done one of these fixes, go back with a new module the second time.

And you want to do the re-soldering while you are there as well. This is also a common cause of problems.

You can almost certainly get some piecemeal supervision, but it is unlikely you can get full time supervision.

I have a lock issue or two that I am just living with so far. I made this call after seeing what was involved in taking a wreck apart.

On the bright side - if you get practiced at it, you can probably hire out to do the replacements!

RichmondKYtdi

I believe front door, i basically live in my car for my job so when i unlock and get in to do something it re-locks. I usually forget by the time i am done and then i start the car with the alarm going off... looking like a thief, an idiot or both.

Turb0

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 GLS Wagon TDI
Yeah, I just went outside to lube them up as you said and the studs on the lower flange are pretty damn rusty and corroded. What is the part number for those so I can order a "just in case" set? The top flange bolts don't look nearly as bad.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Kroil, Liquid Wrench, PBBlaster, or some other penetrating oil would be better than most (all?) lubricating agents.
Please forgive me if you were just using a verbal shorthand.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Also: Does anyone need any interior (tan leather) parts, I was going to swap my current gray interior with my old tan one from my wrecked car but changed direction. I have seats, handles, armrest (the latch is broke) etc... Free or donate whatever to TDIclub... just need to move them out of our warehouse. I'll try to get some pics on here later on if anyone is interested.
Steven, please shout at Eric. i suspect he would be thrilled to have the tan interior. He always did covet it...... He could drive to the warehouse and swap it out on the spot.

As far as the nuts, I will have some, or you can get some from any of our vendors?. Probably best in case I40 ices over and I can't get there. You'll also need a paper EGR gasket.

N41EF

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf, 2009 ML 320, 2006 NB, 2001 NB
I have an almost new stock cat back for an A6 Golf. I assume it's the same for A6 JSW or Jettas. I removed it at 10k miles to install a SS aFe cat back that is a straight pipe. It would be good if someone wanted to take it to a muffler shop and have them cut the muffler out and install a short straight pipe and tips. I have it int he garage tacking up space, just need it gone, and hate to take it to the scrap metal dump.

terrydtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 MK4 TDI Jetta 5spd
Thanks for the offer! I would like to check out Dreher Island because my wife and I are big campers and always looking for that next great campground. This would be a new one for us. At this time I am planning on attending. I will be leaving January 23 and staying to the 26th. Weather and realibility of my Passat dictate wether I will be there or not. I will keep your place as second choice. How far from your location is Dreher Island? Thanks again!!
Dreher Island is about 20 minutes from Dan's. It's a very nice camp ground, my family and I have stayed there several times. You'll enjoy it.

DidJettarun

Veteran Member
TDI
A5 2005.5 Jetta A4 2003 Jetta
Campground is great...just remember to park your car outside gate before sunset as they lock gates from dusk to dawn

JRobson

TDI
2013 Jetta
I am going to try to put in some leave - see if the Navy will be gracious enough to let me go. Would be great to be around so many TDi folks, I have a lot to learn.

When I know, I'll post up - particularly interested in a tune.

-Justin

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
These are South East about 12 miles off of I-26

Residence Inn Irmo SC - 944 Lake Murray Blvd, Irmo, SC

residence.reservationcounter.com/
  • 1 (855) 499 0001
<LI style="CLEAR: none" class=mod>Hyatt Place Columbia/Harbison

<LI style="CLEAR: none" class=mod>
<LI class=mod>Address: 1130 Kinley Rd, Irmo, SC 29063
Phone:(803) 407-1560
Hotel class: 3 stars

Hilton Garden Inn Columbia - GardenInn.Hilton.com‎

gardeninn.hilton.com/Columbia
  • Address: 434 Columbiana Dr, Columbia, SC 29212
    Phone:(803) 407-6640
  • 1 (888) 370 0984

Fairfield Inn Columbia Northwest/Harbison: Earn Rewards points ...
Address: 320 Columbiana Dr, Columbia, SC 29212
Phone:(800) 228-2800

These are Northwest about 15 miles off of I-26

Holiday Inn Express - In Newberry - hiexpress.com‎

Address: 320 Columbiana Dr, Columbia, SC 29212
Phone:(800) 228-2800

Days Inn Newberry SC - I-26 & Hwy 34 Exit 74, Newberry
Address: 50 Thomas Griffin Rd, Newberry, SC 29108
Phone:(803) 276-2294

floyd r turbo

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Have never been to GTG but always wanted to go. Will try to get my son to go with me and sign up as soon as we can get our plan together and what we might want to do to either our sedan or wagon.

Warthog

Veteran Member
TDI
see Bio
Dan, I'm looking at coming to this but haven't decided which car to bring.
The "runawaydiesel" (2000 Jetta TDI) is running again and might provide some entertainment for the mob, but I'm not sure about a LONG trip with it, yet.
Smokes like fury when just started but after about 3 miles, it clears up.
Just don't know about the 2.5 hours on the I-road, tho.

PS. Would you rather someone say they are coming and NOT show, or have someone show without prior notification?

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
The number that say they are coming and don't show just about equal the ones that just show up, so the food has worked out ok on the earlier gtgs.

I would not lose any sleep over it either way. But I would rather have extra food than not enough.

At least bring the tale of the runaway.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
Dan, I'm looking at coming to this but haven't decided which car to bring.
The "runawaydiesel" (2000 Jetta TDI) is running again and might provide some entertainment for the mob, but I'm not sure about a LONG trip with it, yet.
Smokes like fury when just started but after about 3 miles, it clears up.
Just don't know about the 2.5 hours on the I-road, tho.

PS. Would you rather someone say they are coming and NOT show, or have someone show without prior notification?
i would probably leave that one at home as it most likely has bent rods and they could break on you during the drive ... have you done a compression test ?

Warthog

Veteran Member
TDI
see Bio
jimbote, I didn't do a compression test, rather measured the piston protrusion when the head was off. All pistons were the same and poked out of the block within the measurements listed in my manual for a "2-hole" gasket.
A "blow-by-blow" description of what happened and what got done are in another thread.
BTW, What product is the "Diesel Purge" so many are referring to in other posts? I use an additive religiously in all my cars from the git-go and wonder if it is just a large portion of some of the same or something different.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
LubroMoly Diesel Purge - used full strength in a closed loop run to clean injectors and pump.

I think you can still get it at NAPA, but often you have to work with the guy to find the product in his catalog. LM2005? LM2006? A search of this site will find the NAPA part number - many of the clerks cannot find it in the store. They can usually have it the next day.

Turb0

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 GLS Wagon TDI
Count me in. I'll be bringing my MK3 that needs the intake manifold cleaned badly! I bought new bolts, gasket, 2 egr plates with gaskets (to delete), and I've been treating the bolts to penetrating spray. What else should I bring for the cleaning?