What a day...

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
You know the old adage, the body shop guy has the ugliest car, and the mechanic's car never runs right? Well, I try not to be that guy...but today was something else :rolleyes:

I had to drive to Chicago today for business, I will be here all week. I waffled on whether to drive my hot rod Jetta (daily driver), my hot rod Beetle, or my 1.8t Jetta. Yesterday, I go shopping for wife's Christmas present at the jewelry store and my hot rod Jetta sprung a pretty good sized heater core leak. Bummer. I was planning to take that one in to the body shop for a repaint this winter and its almost due for a timing belt, so no biggie. I'll drive something else on my road trip...

Couldn't bring myself to drive the gasser, 20 mpg less and its a tiptronic and I hate the feel of leather seats when they are cold...

So I hop in the lifted Beetle and start my 8 hour drive. Fill up on my way out of town, a while later I notice the fuel gauge is way lower than expected, and I also notice some "smoke" every once in a while behind me, then I notice a few cars using spray wipers as they approach to pass. Bummer, must be a pretty good fuel leak. Didn't smell anything...Pulled off in the next town, popped the hood to find the injector return hose to the IP cracked and too short to cut any off.

Here's a kicker, I parked in a Wal-Mart lot, guess what? They don't carry any tubing or vac hose at all :mad: Found a farm supply store open, bought some 1/8" tubing, and I'm on my way.

Next I notice the clutch slipping in 5th when I romp it :mad::mad: Must have gotten some of that diesel on the clutch during the fuel leak.

The stretch of I-55 from Springfield, IL to Chicago was like Kansas City rush hour the entire drive. I never did make it all the way up to the speed limit once I left I-72. I also had the unfortunate experience of seeing the very fresh aftermath of a brutal 2 vehicle crash just south of Joliet in the south bound lanes, I-55 south was completely shut down while they cleaned that up.

I finally get to Chicago, and I am hungry and tired, and 2 hours behind schedule. I drive thru a new Hardees, roll down the window, and as I am driving off it only rolls half way up and binds then returns down. Jacked with that for longer than I wanted to, the car is spending a week of overnights in a hotel parking lot so I am glad I finally got it rolled back up.

Looks like I have a heater core job, a timing belt job, a window regulator replacement, and a clutch job waiting on me when I get home :p

I just wanted to vent a bit, I hope everyone else had a good day today.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
On the other hand, in your case a good mechanic is as close as the bathroom mirror....:) He's a busy guy though.

Come back to us safe, the rest is just an annoyance.

Cheers and best wishes,

Bill

cvairwerks

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 NB 2004 Audi A8L gasser 1999 A4 Avant gasser
Got a window that does that trick every once in a while. A little hand assist and it goes up fine again for a few months. I suppose that one of these days I'll tear into that door and see what is going on with it.

Dorsal

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf gls F350 Crew 7.3l 2002 gls bone stock
Nothing worse than being on the road and something fails, been there. I'll take this opportunity to vent a bit. I would like to get my hands around the neck of the engineer who designed the head lamp assembly. It took me 2 hrs to change the high beam bulb drivers side. Remove battery and I still cannot get my hand inside the opening. finally got it done using my fingertips and much swearing.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
...I would like to get my hands around the neck of the engineer who designed the head lamp assembly. It took me 2 hrs to change the high beam bulb drivers side. Remove battery and I still cannot get my hand inside the opening. finally got it done using my fingertips and much swearing.
Much faster to just pop off the bumper cover and remove the headlight assembly. After 12 years worth of bulb changing, I have it down to a science. It takes me a little more than half an hour all in. I'll be doing it this week to replace the cloudy plastic lenses with shiny new glass lenses.

Minion

TDI
01 Golf 5-speed
i fixed a headlight bulb that was out (on the battery side) i finished the job and shut the hood and the other bulb goes out.... story of my life.

OP i drive downtown chicago for work every day. i hate myself every drive.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Nothing worse than being on the road and something fails, been there. I'll take this opportunity to vent a bit. I would like to get my hands around the neck of the engineer who designed the head lamp assembly. It took me 2 hrs to change the high beam bulb drivers side. Remove battery and I still cannot get my hand inside the opening. finally got it done using my fingertips and much swearing.

You need to get a Beetle - you'll think your Golf's headlights are a piece of cake to change after you try one of them....

Dorsal

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf gls F350 Crew 7.3l 2002 gls bone stock
Much faster to just pop off the bumper cover and remove the headlight assembly. After 12 years worth of bulb changing, I have it down to a science. It takes me a little more than half an hour all in. I'll be doing it this week to replace the cloudy plastic lenses with shiny new glass lenses.
That thought did cross my mind, next time for sure. I am ready to replace plastic for glass on #2. It WILL be getting fresh bulbs as well.