Skunkwerx Performance TDI Performance, Repair, Service and Malone Tuning

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
A huge THANK YOU! to Fred's TDI Club and its members for all the support these past few years in making Skunkwerx a success. Quitting my day job to work on TDIs full time last fall was one of scariest things I've done. I am so happy I did though.

In fact, business is so good that my little one-man, craftsman style repair shop has been receiving such a steady flow of calls, emails and text messages that I am having to reassess how I communicate. I answer each call/text/email personally and some days it is getting really hard to get the car repairs done.

To keep communication AND service quality high, I have set-up a dedicated Skunkwerx phone line. The number for this phone is unchanged - (502) 724-2605. I will be answering this phone 9AM to 5PM Monday through Friday. If you reach my voicemail during those hours I am either elbows-deep in a car repair operation that requires my undivided attention, or with another customer. Please leave a message, I will return your call ASAP during those hours. You are still welcome to call during off-hours and leave a voicemail, I will return your call during the next work day.

Though I will no longer be utilizing text messaging, please feel free to email me at dax@skunkwerx-performance.com. I try to answer all emails within a business day. Email is definitely preferred over club PM.

THANK YOU AGAIN!

Last edited:

A5INKY

TDI
Show your thanks to VW for their Dieselgate "Goodwill" gesture by using it to better effect!

Use your $500 VW "Goodwill" credit card to place a deposit on a DPF delete pipe install and tune package by December 31st and I will honor October's Dieselgate special allowing the work to be done at your convenience anytime up to the end of March 2016. To get the additional 5% cash discount simply pay the balance due when work is completed via cash. Use of the goodwill card for the deposit will not prevent the cash discount.

"Off-road racing" DPF/EGR delete exhaust and tune packages for 2009-2014 Golf, Jetta and Jetta Sportwagen TDIs are discounted 5% on parts, labor and tune. This means nearly a $100 savings on stage 2 cars with DSGs. What's more, I will discount another 5% if the job is paid in cash. Yep, you can save up to a couple hundred dollars.

Standard everyday pricing for 2.5" DPF/EGR delete exhaust connected to the OE cat-back for cars with manual trans and Malone stage 2 tune: $1441.95. October sales prices (cash): $1297.75

Same set-up but with DSG (requiring DSG tune) : $1940.95 (everyday pricing). October sales price (cash): $1746.95.

Call (502) 724-2605 or email dax@skunkwerx-performace.com to schedule your race conversion :D

Mention this special when you contact me and tell me where you saw it. Deposit must be received by December 31, 2015.

Last edited:

A5INKY

TDI
New Product: EGR Kit For 2005.5-2006 Jetta TDI with BRM Engine - $40 +shipping

Top quality kit allows off-road* users to delete their leaky, hissing, failure-prone EGR cooler entirely. Kit includes:

- Heavy duty plated steel blocking plates for EGR port on both exhaust and intake manifolds
- New OE gaskets for each port/plate
- New OE copper lock nuts for EGR/exhaust port (reuse OE bolts on intake port)
- Plastic barb elbow for connecting EGR cooler supply and return coolant hoses

Be aware, deleting the EGR cooler defeats the EGR system and will set a CEL. If not dealt with via an ECU software modification the ECU will "throttle" the ASV in a vain effort to increase EGR flow which will reduce power and fuel economy. This cannot be fixed via VCDS, an aftermarket tune is required. Skunkwerx can also provide the software modification via Malone Tuning for $99. Or, if you choose to purchase a Malone tune from Skunkwerx, the EGR software delete can be added to your new tune at no additional cost over the tune cost.

Please order via email. Payment accepted via PayPal or all major credit cards direct over the phone or email. Orders ship within one business day.

* For off-road use only
- These modifications may be a violation of federal emissions regulations, for off-road vehicles only.
- Neither TDIClub nor any person taking action or inaction on its behalf may be held accountable for these modifications.
- It is up to each individual vehicle owner or operator to take responsibility for his/her actions

Last edited:

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
Sweet. More options semi local! do you do clutches too?

A5INKY

TDI
Thanks for the welcoming post Growler.

Yep, clutches for sure. Been flying under the radar for about a year working on other folks TDIs. Between my own cars and what I have been doing for others, not much I haven't done. I sub out injector set-up, machining, alignment and tire/wheel work. Everything else mechanical is done in-house.

Once the weather turns a bit warmer in the spring I'm thinking of setting up a little GTG. Hope you'll think about making the trip down to the 'Ville for it.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Would love to be there. Looking forward to it. Ill be sure to send the guys your way since I am no longer doing clutches.

darkscout

Grammar Scout
TDI
2003 Golf
Oooo. What would a clutch job cost? LSD installs? 5th gear swaps?

Need to make my Mk4 stop slipping and might as well do the rest while I'm in there.

A5INKY

TDI
Making Progress

Got about 80% moved in to the new shop in the last couple days. Lights are in, compressor and heater are wired in to 220. Shelves next, then move the oil and parts. Then I'll be ready to start in with the mechanical work again.

On the calendar are a BRM turbo install, B5.5 tranny install, new "free-flowing" DP and ECU/DSG tune for an Audi A3, 2 or 3 CR tunes locally and possibly a MKIII clutch / MKIV LSD & 5th gear. Still have room for a couple more jobs in December. Always have time for more Malone tunes! :D

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Woot, another Mid-west / South guru/trusted mech to take my Hussy TDI to. [my TDI has been around]

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
[my TDI has been around]
You aren't kidding. That green thing has bared it all in many Guru Shops all over the eastern continental US...

you should just name the car Doorknob.. everyone gets a turn.:D

professorxjosh

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf TDI 5spd w/ 400k
Had Dax do a Stage 1 on my Golf a few weeks back. In and out in about an hour and best $$$ I've spent.
Had my check engine light come on today so I will be seeing you soon.

A5INKY

TDI
Woot, another Mid-west / South guru/trusted mech to take my Hussy TDI to. [my TDI has been around]
I'd be happy to work on your Hussy :)
You aren't kidding. That green thing has bared it all in many Guru Shops all over the eastern continental US...
you should just name the car Doorknob.. everyone gets a turn.:D
Aaron, thanks for the heads-up. It's OK, I'm no prude.

Bob, please don't be offended if I don a pair of gloves before opening the hood. Gloves make for a little loss in sensation, but they are worth it to protect myself and the other cars I work on. :D
Had Dax do a Stage 1 on my Golf a few weeks back. In and out in about an hour and best $$$ I've spent.
Had my check engine light come on today so I will be seeing you soon.
Glad your enjoying the tune! Hit me up and we'll figure out why she's throwing that CEL.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Actually Bobs car is very clean and well behaved, well it was for me, I know Bruce has a few choice words for an FSE (ask Bruce :) ) that bob had him put on, but I am just saying that everyone gets a turn to play with it. bob likes to spread the love :)

A5INKY

TDI
All moved in and ready for work ahead of schedule. Tuning tools came in on Friday too. By the weekend I will be ready to tune the CR cars and DSG too.

2009 to present TDI owners interested in greater performance/reliability/fuel economy please stay tuned. I am working out the details for an upgrade "package deal" for you. :D Will be announcing the details toward the end of the week.

In the mean time, I have a slot or two (depending on the scope of work) open this weekend. The Skunkwerx schedule is filling up fast as the holidays approach...

darkscout

Grammar Scout
TDI
2003 Golf
Do you have exterior parking spots? The first car I'd have you work on would be my 'backup' so I'd be in no rush to get it back and you could work on it and when ever it was done I could come pick it up.

A5INKY

TDI
Do you have exterior parking spots? The first car I'd have you work on would be my 'backup' so I'd be in no rush to get it back and you could work on it and when ever it was done I could come pick it up.
I sure do, a few spots. I keep my Eurovan parked out there but typically will park customer cars (when possible) inside when I am not at the shop. If you don't mind leaving it for a week or so I am ready for it anytime. The MKIII I assume?

A5INKY

TDI
2009 - Present Common Rail TDI "Stage 2" Power Up Special!

Moved to post #2.

Last edited:

A5INKY

TDI
For anyone wanting to take advantage of the "CR Stage 2 special" (see post #2) but too far away for the included labor portion of the deal. Skunkwerx will ship the DP kit and perform the Malone tune via shipped ECU for $1000 shipping included (except buyer responsible for shipping charges for ECU to me only). Add-ons still available at the additional costs listed.

Do the labor yourself and save.

Last edited:

A5INKY

TDI
How much extra for Econo tune with the "CR Stage 2 special"?
Malone Econo tune simply refers to the DPF delete feature, so it is included at no extra charge over the special price. :D

Granted, we are talking about off-road use. But, no reason not to enjoy the additional 4-6 MPG FE improvement the DPF delete and tune will provide anyway. ;)

A5INKY

TDI
New Product: EGR Kit For 2005.5-2006 Jetta TDI with BRM Engine - $40 +shipping

Please see post #3 of this thread.

Barnitz

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Just got back from the Skunkwerx garage. Well worth the 100 mile drive from Cincinnati.

BRM turbo upgrade to fix some turbo issues, and add a little fun. Dax is a great guy to work with, and everything went great.

Keep up the good work man!

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Thanks Dax for tightening my nuts today. The smell is gone. Boost response is much better, engine is quieter.

nkgagne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagen 6M, 2006 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
Awesome! My in-laws are in Kentuckiana and we usually visit at least annually. Which end of the 'ville are you in?

Wish you success in your new venture!

A5INKY

TDI
Just got back from the Skunkwerx garage. Well worth the 100 mile drive from Cincinnati.

BRM turbo upgrade to fix some turbo issues, and add a little fun. Dax is a great guy to work with, and everything went great.

Keep up the good work man!
Thanks for the positive review!

Thanks Dax for tightening my nuts today. The smell is gone. Boost response is much better, engine is quieter.
Ahem, you meant downpipe nuts :p. My pleasure Bob, was nice to meet you in person. Hopefully your "Hussy" keeps her pipe tight for a good long time!

Awesome! My in-laws are in Kentuckiana and we usually visit at least annually. Which end of the 'ville are you in?

Wish you success in your new venture!
Thanks! The Skunkwerx garage is centrally located just south of Churchill Downs off Southern Parkway. It is only 5 blocks from the 264 loop with easy on/off access. Just drop me a line or give a call if you come this way and I will send you directions.

RDC98tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta 6MT Prem / (RIP) '98 Jetta 5MT [280k+mi]
Just got back from Dax's garage last night after getting the 1.5 tune. The whole process was very smooth, and he was a fun guy to listen too. Didn't get frustrated with my constant questions haha. While waiting for Mark to email back the tune, we enjoyed a PBR and car talk. Car drives like it should, and Dax was a fun guy to get to know!

+1 for A5INKY
+1 for Malone Tuning!