• The TDIClub classifieds section is a heavily trafficked section of the forum that encompasses want-to-buy (WTB) and for-sale (FS) threads for the entire world. Due to the demanding nature and fast pace of this section, it is imperative that you know and understand the rules. It is also important to remember that this is the only parts classifieds section.

Cross-posting and posting classifieds in the regional sections (except the dedicated thread in Ontario) is not permitted.

Multiple items should be sold in one thread. Make sure to provide a description for all items in your post along with pictures and prices. If you start multiple threads with individual items, they will be locked or combined at the discretion of the moderators.

Here is a quick outline of the classifieds section rules. If you don't follow these rules, you subject yourself to thread deletion, thread combination, infractions, or posting privilege revocation.

Thread titles:
    • Put FS or WTB in your thread title. This will let other users know if you are selling or buying.
    • Briefly describe what you are selling. Thread titles have limited space. Be as descriptive, yet succinct, as possible.
    • Put your location in the title.
    • If space allows, put your price in the title

Title example (single item): "FS: 2004 Mk4/BEW cylinder head - Portland, OR - $500"
    Title example (multiple items): "FS: MK6 fog lights, front bumper, headlights, grill - Detroit, MI"
    Title example (car part-out): "FS: Mk3 Jetta parting out engine & interior - Dallas, TX"

Thread text descriptions and pictures:
    • All for-sale threads must include pictures of the items that you are selling. One picture is sufficient, but multiple pictures with different angles will help buyers. A picture is worth a thousand words. If you don't know how to post pictures on TDIClub, see this thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=286691
    • All for-sale threads must include a description. We don't charge per-word, so be as descriptive as possible. The more information you can provide, the easier it will be for buyers.
    • All for-sale threads must include a price. Auctions and bidding are not allowed. If you want to auction something off, use eBay.
    No picture, no price, NO SALE!

Thread maintenance/updates/bumps:
    • When you sell something, update your thread with "SOLD!" Moderators will close the thread and update the title.
    • If you have multiple items for sale, update your thread as each item has been sold. When everything has been sold, updated the thread with "ALL ITEMS SOLD!" Moderators will close the thread and update the title when all items have been sold.
    • If you bump your thread, please delete old bumps by clicking on EDIT and then deleting the old bump. This will reduce clutter in your thread and make it easier to read. It also makes you look less desperate.
    • If you drop your price, please update your first post in addition to posting the new price. If you would like the thread title changed, click on the report post icon and let a moderator know what you would like the title changed to.

Moderator intervention and infraction points:
    Moderators will be monitoring the classifieds section. If a moderator determines that you have not been following the rules listed above, corrections will be made and infraction points will be assessed to your account.

What is an infraction point? Simple - it's a system of keeping track of user behavior. A moderator can assign a point value based on the severity of the infraction, as well as an expiration date on the points assessed. If you accumulate a certain number of points, the system will auto-ban you for a predefined amount of time. The more points you accumulate, the longer your ban period will be.

One example of points is as follows: multiple threads will be combined into a single thread, with the number of infraction points assessed corresponding to the number of threads merged. If we merge four threads into one, then you will be assessed four points that expire in 30 days. When you reach five points, the system will auto-ban you for one day.*

*This is an example based on the current infraction system structure. We reserve the right to modify the infraction system at any time without notice or updates to this announcement.

Thank you for your cooperation, and good luck with your sales and searches! :)

-TDIClub Administration

PayPal Alternatives

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
Serve is a great service through American Express. I think they're going to start charging $1 a month for the accounts, but they have no fees.

loudspl

Veteran Member
TDI
02 ASV w/ 02J
Plenty of "borrowed" Paypal accounts out there.
If you truly want to avoid these kind of losses you have to be financially off the grid.
The truth is anything electronic/magnetic/etc. can be taken from you if someone wants it, whenever they feel like doing so.

A few examples... made possible with Bitcoin and laundry services ;)

Last edited:

WindsorFox

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta
I agree. PayPal screwed me real good. I will never use PayPal again. Ten years after the fact I still get registered letters from them and have to dig out my legal documents and fax to them from my lawyer to get them to go away.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk now Free
Willing to elaborate? I've never heard a pp horror story. How can they just keep someones money if you have proof in bank statements??

RNDDUDE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
I too, use Chase bill pay, and although initially I was VERY resistant to doing internet banking, I am now a believer. On thing to note though, I keep getting asked by every service provider I do business with (gas, water, power, insurance, everything else I pay monthly bills to) to allow THEM access to my bank account so they can "conviently" get paid every month....thanks but no thanks, but I DO pay THEM with auto pay from my account. What's the difference you ask? Auto pay let's ME control when and how much I send them, giving them access to pull money from my account from their side has the potential for big problems IMO.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I too, use Chase bill pay, and although initially I was VERY resistant to doing internet banking, I am now a believer. On thing to note though, I keep getting asked by every service provider I do business with (gas, water, power, insurance, everything else I pay monthly bills to) to allow THEM access to my bank account so they can "conviently" get paid every month....thanks but no thanks, but I DO pay THEM with auto pay from my account. What's the difference you ask? Auto pay let's ME control when and how much I send them, giving them access to pull money from my account from their side has the potential for big problems IMO.
Brings back memories of the old AOL days where once they had access to your bank funds, it was damn near impossible to cancel and get them to stop sucking money out of your account. I'm in the group that will never let a third party have access to my accounts.

X-Man

Vendor
TDI
Octavia mk2 BXE + hybrid @175bhp/400Nm
out of curiosity why can't you do just standard bank transfer? it's 21st century why would anyone still want to use cheques for God sake it's like using telegrams instead of emails... Regarding paypal, it's not perfect, it's pricey but works for me so far without any major issues

darkscout

Grammar Scout
TDI
2003 Golf
out of curiosity why can't you do just standard bank transfer? it's 21st century why would anyone still want to use cheques for God sake it's like using telegrams instead of emails... Regarding paypal, it's not perfect, it's pricey but works for me so far without any major issues
Because 'Murica.

If you're in Europe you already have a great alternative: bank transfer. We just don't do those here.

X-Man

Vendor
TDI
Because 'Murica.

If you're in Europe you already have a great alternative: bank transfer. We just don't do those here.
as stupid as it may sound, why???? I'm using online banking since I've opened my first bank account and I just can't imagine how can you live without it...

X-Man

Vendor
TDI
My bank charges $25 to do a transfer, and I know of others that charge to receive a transfer :eek:

-J
it doesn't make any sense to me, bank transfers are the cheapest most efficient and fastest payment method for both the bank and the customer. Cheques on the other hand requires handling, clearing etc. total waste of time...

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
Paypal screwed me on a claim. Won't use them anymore. In fact I've mostly given up on anything other than in person transactions.

X-Man

Vendor
TDI
Paypal screwed me on a claim. Won't use them anymore. In fact I've mostly given up on anything other than in person transactions.
there is always an option to appeal the decision but I don't know all the details so I can't really comment on it. Obviously it is your decision but there are things you can't do in person and even then you aren't always safe, for example you want to buy a turbo, you arrange meeting in person, you pay cash, after you fit it it fells apart as it was badly build etc... the person has vanished and his/her phone number is no longer available... same thing with paypal - in most cases you can send the turbo back for full refund (you may need to provide some written inspection report that it was badly built etc.) but still you have a good chance of getting your money back. Not saying paypal is perfect because it isn't but dealing with people in person if someone wants to screw you over he will. You can be paid by fake money or a cheque which won't clear etc... there is always some risk which you can't really avoid...

darkscout

Grammar Scout
TDI
2003 Golf
But if I am screwed over by a person I have small claims court. Paypal screwing over people is something that has happened to numerous people with little or no recourse.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

Cb33

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon 5M
I'll second the earlier posters who mentioned Dwolla and Google wallet as alternatives.

Part of the problem with PayPal is that they are so big and so well known that they are the easiest target for scammers. The other problem with PayPal is that they have crap crap crap service. They don't seem to want to help people who are obviously being screwed.

X-Man

Vendor
TDI
I'll second the earlier posters who mentioned Dwolla and Google wallet as alternatives.

Part of the problem with PayPal is that they are so big and so well known that they are the easiest target for scammers. The other problem with PayPal is that they have crap crap crap service. They don't seem to want to help people who are obviously being screwed.
well from personal experience as a seller and buyer I have successfully conducted several paypal claims I've lost one or two as far as I recall (some buyer from sri lanka paying from stolen paypal account or something) I was sold counterfeit software - I needed an expertise from a local computer shop backing my story up and asked to destroy the CD's and I was granted full refund. I've sold £400 worth iPhone which the buyer tried to repair on his own even it's being still under warranty... then he returned it to me wrecked and got refunded by paypal the second I've confirmed that it was received back, but I contacted them and was told to send it to their centre in the US and I was given the whole amount back... so as I said before it's not perfect but it works reasonably for me. Obviously it's hard for them to remotely decide who's right and be always 100% correct but if you are careful, you stick to the rules they usually stand by you not the person trying to screw you up. The key is, if there is something wrong, or you don't agree with the decision, email them, call them make your point and most likely you will get your justice.

darkscout

Grammar Scout
TDI
2003 Golf
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/201...ebay-buyer-violin-counterfeit-_n_1183687.html

We get it. You like PayPal. Keep using them. However I, and numerous other people, have listed why PayPal has screwed them and this thread is titled "PayPal Alternatives". Hence forth conversation will be towards Alternatives to PayPal: PayPal Alternatives.

I'm not interested in hearing how PayPal hasn't screwed someone yet.

Last edited:

Cb33

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon 5M
well from personal experience as a seller and buyer I have successfully conducted several paypal claims I've lost one or two as far as I recall (some buyer from sri lanka paying from stolen paypal account or something) I was sold counterfeit software - I needed an expertise from a local computer shop backing my story up and asked to destroy the CD's and I was granted full refund. I've sold £400 worth iPhone which the buyer tried to repair on his own even it's being still under warranty... then he returned it to me wrecked and got refunded by paypal the second I've confirmed that it was received back, but I contacted them and was told to send it to their centre in the US and I was given the whole amount back... so as I said before it's not perfect but it works reasonably for me. Obviously it's hard for them to remotely decide who's right and be always 100% correct but if you are careful, you stick to the rules they usually stand by you not the person trying to screw you up. The key is, if there is something wrong, or you don't agree with the decision, email them, call them make your point and most likely you will get your justice.
Fair enough. Perhaps my words were too strong. However, alternatives exist and I am glad that they do. I'm certain that none of the alternatives are fool-proof either and caution should be exercised with any type of financial transaction.

WindsorFox

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta
Fair enough. Perhaps my words were too strong. However, alternatives exist and I am glad that they do. I'm certain that none of the alternatives are fool-proof either and caution should be exercised with any type of financial transaction.

Yeah, imagine trying to get a customer service rep with Google. I can't wait to hear that story....

darkscout

Grammar Scout
TDI
2003 Golf
It's called your credit card. They bend over backwards to get you your money in a fraud case. Call them and issue a charge back.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I do not use credit cards but do have one in reserve for international travel. I do have a debit card with a Visa affiliation, however, that works like a credit card with regards to the protections.

For individual transactions, I prefer to use a Postal Money Order and have been glad I did on more than one occasion since any monkey business is greeted by the postal inspector and the thread of a felony.

bassman5066

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2 Door TDI (sold back for Dieselgate), 91 Golf 4 Door with 1Z swap
How about bitcoin? The federal election comisison just ruled its OK to use bitcoin for political transactions, so it is now a valid and accepted currency, why not I say?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

ehad6589

TDI
03 Golf TDI
Already mentioned once but I have had good luck with buyers paying with U.S. postal money orders. You can cash them at the post office and use part of the cash amount to mail the package all in one transaction. If the money order is a fake the post office will let you know before you mail anything. So you would only be out the drive to the post office if someone tries to scam you. Only real negative is waiting for the postal money order...

blutroop

TDI
AHU ALH IDI
I love paypal and have NEVER had any issues. I've sold and bought using it heck I even have the debt card. Probably bought and sold tens of thousands of dollars using PayPal. It seems 99% of the time someone has "problems" with PayPal there is usually another side to the story. Just my .02 if you don't use PayPal I won't buy from you.
Paypal has locked and blocked peoples accounts for doing transactions concerning legal purchases of firearms... Very anti American... and they try and force their views on us by blocking locking and stealing. And so many people wont do buisness with someone if they dont have paypal... Can you even have a ebay account now without paypal? I miss the days of being able to look someone in the eyes and shake hands... thats the only real way to do buisness...

keaton85

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf MK4
I do not use credit cards but do have one in reserve for international travel. I do have a debit card with a Visa affiliation, however, that works like a credit card with regards to the protections.

For individual transactions, I prefer to use a Postal Money Order and have been glad I did on more than one occasion since any monkey business is greeted by the postal inspector and the thread of a felony.
How do you buy anything online? also using your debit card for anything other then removing money from an ATM is a bad idea!

The debt card unlike a credit card is linked to your bank account. Once the money is gone, it's gone, unless the bank wants to help.

Also, what about paying bills? not all auto-pays let you use your bank account numbers.