700 Mile club Who's in?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Congrats on the 700 milestone.

I went through all the stages of grief: Denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and finally...acceptance that an 800 mile tank may never happen with my DSG equipped JSW.
What about the people who claim they're getting 60 MPG with Malone Stage 2 and Rawtech? Your Fuelly says 39.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Relax. I just thought it was odd that Oilerlord is getting 30% lower MPG than people are able to achieve with what sounds like the same setup.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
Relax. I just thought it was odd that Oilerlord is getting 30% lower MPG than people are able to achieve with what sounds like the same setup.
hes driving a wagon, not only is it heavier its also less aerodynamic and its a dsg....he is likely above average in a dsg wagon category

Oilerlord

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDI w/DSG. 700 Mile Club. 2008 BMW X3 "Beatrice", 2004 BMW 330Xi, 2014 Mercedes B-Class Electric
What about the people who claim they're getting 60 MPG with Malone Stage 2 and Rawtech? Your Fuelly says 39.
I've never made that claim, or for that matter seen anyone else post 60 MPG with a MKV6 JSW - let alone a JSW with DSG.

I had a jump in FE after I did the Malone tune on July 7. Before the tune, my average was about 34 MPG. My Fuelly "running" (last 10 tank) average is 42.2 MPG.

In my experience, the Malone tune has bumped my FE by 10-15%. Results may vary depending on how much the driver enjoys using the available 295 ft-lbs of torque.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I know you didn't claim 60 MPG, but others have. I guess not with the DSG, however. And as you said, it's all about how you drive.

Oilerlord

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDI w/DSG. 700 Mile Club. 2008 BMW X3 "Beatrice", 2004 BMW 330Xi, 2014 Mercedes B-Class Electric
I know you didn't claim 60 MPG, but others have. I guess not with the DSG, however. And as you said, it's all about how you drive.
There's a handful CR 2.0 Golf and Jetta guys that have had the patience to do it. By contrast, there are a lot of guys with older TDI's that get 60 MPG all the time. The common thread usually entails long commutes where they can average around 50 MPH - which (as we all know) is in ALH, PD, and CR wheelhouses.

morpwr

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta DSG Highline Red w/tan
Finally Did It

I finally got 700 miles to a tank. Went on a trip from Ottawa,Ontario to Ogdensburg, NY along I90 to Erie, PA, down I79 to Pittsburgh, PA, back up to I80, over to Wilkes Barr PA. Filled up had 1110 km, 695 miles, when low fuel came on. Then took I81 up to I84 through Ny and Connecticut to Mass, east on I90 to Worchester Mass. Back along I90 to NY route 12 to Watertown, I81 back to Ottawa. Low fuel light came on at 1180km, 735 miles. Filled up at 1205km, 750 miles. Took 58 litres,approx 15 gallons US. That is at 120 KPH, 75MPH, on cruise all the way, 75% in the rain. The car has 440,000 km on it, all original. Has anyone cleaned the intake, serviced the turbo, or cleaned the intercooler, and seen a difference after? This is a great car.:)

Thenixon

TDI
2014 Passat SE TDi
707 miles on my first fuelup - hope to improve on it eventually. Really, with such a big tank in the Passat I feel like I'm cheating. I've read about the compression increasing as the engine breaks in, does this generally correspond with an noticeably increased FE?

alekov

TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI 5spd and 2013 VW Passat TDI SE DSG
Alright, I must be doing something wrong! I have a 2013 Passat TDI SE auto with about 6k miles, and 06 Jetta TDI 5spd with 220k miles and I'm averaging about 36mpg on both. Always carefully driving them, with 40psi tires, ac on (FL) but even on highway trips with no stops and constant 80mph I still only get about 40-42mpg tops. (mostly cruise control) What exactly am I doing wrong??? Do I need to add some mods to my cars? One is pretty new, one is pretty old, same result... Not that I'm complaining about the 36mpg, but still, how are people getting so much higher mpgs??

Last edited:

MikeMars

Veteran Member
TDI
Vento 1.9 TDi (retired), A4 1.9 TDi (rear end collision), VW Passat 1.9 TDi (retired), Audi A2 1.4 TDi
... and constant 80mph ... about 40-42mpg tops. ...
Sounds about right. For the speed you are going, that mpg is reasonable.

The people who are getting better MPG than you are going slower than you.

alekov

TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI 5spd and 2013 VW Passat TDI SE DSG
OK, I understand the 80mph but even when driving 70mph my computer only shows 40mpg, and I read numerous articles saying people get 51.7mpg while driving 70mph with the NMS 2013 Passat TDI?

Last edited:

MikeMars

Veteran Member
TDI
Vento 1.9 TDi (retired), A4 1.9 TDi (rear end collision), VW Passat 1.9 TDi (retired), Audi A2 1.4 TDi
Let me introduce you to the '120 rule'...

80+40=120
70+50=120

I personally wouldn't trust the display, only the tank-to-tank figure you get when calculating the MPG manually.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
Alright, I must be doing something wrong! I have a 2013 Passat TDI SE auto with about 6k miles, and 06 Jetta TDI 5spd with 220k miles and I'm averaging about 36mpg on both. Always carefully driving them, with 40psi tires, ac on (FL) but even on highway trips with no stops and constant 80mph I still only get about 40-42mpg tops. (mostly cruise control) What exactly am I doing wrong??? Do I need to add some mods to my cars? One is pretty new, one is pretty old, same result... Not that I'm complaining about the 36mpg, but still, how are people getting so much higher mpgs??
You answered your own question. Slow down if you want to increase your highway fuel economy.

At 72 MPH...I can easily get a 45 MPG tank (that's with a good bit of mixed driving thrown in). That's in a Jetta. You should be able to do better than that in a Passat (not sure how your auto vs. my manual would come into play there though).

OK, I understand the 80mph but even when driving 70mph my computer only shows 40mpg, and I read numerous articles saying people get 51.7mpg while driving 70mph with the NMS 2013 Passat TDI?
The display is not accurate. Use it as a ballpark reference only. I wouldn't trust it for calculation purposes.

I'm pretty sure that anyone getting 50+ MPG in a newer Jetta or Passat is doing that hyper-miling crap.

Last edited:

NickBeek

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI 2006 Dodge Ram
On a recent trip from SC to Daytona FL with the cruise set on 80 mph I got 42.3mpg (2013 NMS SE DSG). I usually pull better mileage around home where I average slower speeds (65 or so). I also see much much lower economy in city driving with the A/C on...

Your economy sounds about right to me. Try a highway trip with the a/c off and at speeds

Oilerlord

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm pretty sure that anyone getting 50+ MPG in a newer Jetta or Passat is doing that hyper-miling crap.
Or, their driving consists of mostly freeway commutes and they have the patience to keep their speed under 60 MPH.

Warthog

Veteran Member
TDI
see Bio
Up to 2000 in a Jetta or an old passat for that matter, 50+ is not out of the question with a stick. Put an automatic into the equation and "town" driving and you won't get that.
That said, we've been having fun trying to get mpg up on the 2005 Passat with stick that we now have. FUN is when we get the computer to read a never-before seen higher number. 46.3 is the record but it was only for about 3 minutes.
Once we spool-up to 70-75 on the I-road, 44.5 is about all I can manage.
Now, the 700-mile business is a trick. The new Passat reports a 16.5 gallon tank; my 96 had an 18+ gallon tank. A 700 mile tank was no big deal for it. I'd hate to suck garbage out of the bottom of the tank in the 2005 (new) one.
I DO wish it had the biger fuel tank, tho.
From reading other posts, I assume the newer Passats DO have bigger tanks again...comment on that, anyone?

NickBeek

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI 2006 Dodge Ram
Up to 2000 in a Jetta or an old passat for that matter, 50+ is not out of the question with a stick. Put an automatic into the equation and "town" driving and you won't get that.
That said, we've been having fun trying to get mpg up on the 2005 Passat with stick that we now have. FUN is when we get the computer to read a never-before seen higher number. 46.3 is the record but it was only for about 3 minutes.
Once we spool-up to 70-75 on the I-road, 44.5 is about all I can manage.
Now, the 700-mile business is a trick. The new Passat reports a 16.5 gallon tank; my 96 had an 18+ gallon tank. A 700 mile tank was no big deal for it. I'd hate to suck garbage out of the bottom of the tank in the 2005 (new) one.
I DO wish it had the biger fuel tank, tho.
From reading other posts, I assume the newer Passats DO have bigger tanks again...comment on that, anyone?
Yes the NMS do have bigger tanks, 18.5 gallons I believe. I have put 17 gallons in mine once....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boriquakid

TDI
I just got my 2000 jetta tdi running and I am averaging 407 miles out of a full tank
I have changed the diesel pump , fuel pump ,timing belt , air filter I know I am way below average

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Search for ventectomy here. You can remove the vent that prevents the expansion tank in the fuel tank from filling and get about 2 additional gallons in a MKIV tank. The gasoline car uses the same fuel tank and needs the expansion tank, but diesel doesn't expand so you can fill that tank, too.

If you fill carefully and make sure you see clear diesel (not foam) in the filler neck, you should be able to put approximately 15 gallons in the car when the low fuel light comes on. Tank will hold close to 17 gallons all together. On the tank below I added 16.3 gallons.

Last edited:

PressEnter[]

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta 6M
Even with the misfueling guard on my '13, I've put in as much as 14.69 gallons, and I was not that close to running out. It just takes time pumping slowly to brim it.

bigbrewbowski

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Finally!

Just joined the 700 club for the 1st time! :)

709 miles on 14.47 gallons 48.99 MPG.

The last 3 tanks I started venting to fill my tank as much as possible. I had 2 tanks of biodiesel B20 where I was at 44 mpg and less highway driving, max was 667 miles. Then I filled up with dino diesel, plus had about 350 extra highway miles this tank to put me over the 700 mark.

I don't know if I can get to 800. The best MPG I've had is 51.3, and I was keeping the rpm as low as possible (I now try and keep it above 2000 RPM) and highway speeds 60 or below.

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GLS, 2015 Golf TDI
Search for ventectomy here. You can remove the vent that prevents the expansion tank in the fuel tank from filling and get about 2 additional gallons in a MKIV tank. The gasoline car uses the same fuel tank and needs the expansion tank, but diesel doesn't expand so you can fill that tank, too.

If you fill carefully and make sure you see clear diesel (not foam) in the filler neck, you should be able to put approximately 15 gallons in the car when the low fuel light comes on. Tank will hold close to 17 gallons all together. On the tank below I added 16.3 gallons.
That 'mod,' if you will, works great. The problem comes when you're kneeling at a gas station peering into your fuel tank. You'll get stares :D

The other issue is being consistent. That is what gives you the MPG numbers. Not filling up exactly the same way will throw off your whole calculations. When I was in NJ and they filled up my tank for me I had recorded over 60 mpg. That is because they cut it off early and my previous tank held many more gallons of fuel.