Diesels in the USA: Time for a renaissance

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta (6MT) - 1000 Mile Club (retired)___ 2015 Jetta SEL (6MT)

texcross

TDI
Jetta
I want it! My hangups right now are affording a car like this and of course not wanting budge on anything until my current car bites the dust. I don't get out much working from home, but it irks me every time I fill up. I just think of the people driving to work daily and how much they must spend on fuel per month.

However we might start getting out more, wanting to get food from our local farmers market store and such weekly - and possibly other trips as well. The better the fuel efficiency - the more happy I will be. A car like that though seems so far out of reach.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Since diesel cars have never been much of a factor here, I have a hard time understanding why the author thinks the Audi offerings are a "renaissance". How can you revive something that has never lived? I would say that it is more of an age of enlightenment and welcome all the advertising and agressive stance that Audi is making. I do wish VW would follow suit with offering diesels across the complete line too.

Dooglas

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta
Since diesel cars have never been much of a factor here, I have a hard time understanding why the author thinks the Audi offerings are a "renaissance".
I'm with you. Audi is hardly going to sweep the US market with its diesel offerings. They are a niche brand and will always have a niche market. It is interesting to note their aggressive stance in introducing new models and advertising them. VW is the brand that could and should occupy a more mainline role among auto brands in the US. They have the engineering, they have the capacity, they have the resources, they can sell at an attractive price point, and they certainly could have the range of diesel models. Yet they seem to lack the will or interest to push very hard in the US. Bigger fish to fry?

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Ingredients for a diesel "renaissance" in the US: Bring smaller SUVs and pickup trucks that average around 35 MPG in combined driving with plenty of low end torque with prices in the less than $35K range.

surg7498

TDI
'03 Golf 5 Speed & '03 Jetta Wagon 5 Speed, 2015 Golf 6 Speed
Totally agree with tikal: bring some of the Skoda line to the US and then it'll finally change the market!

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
I'm with you. Audi is hardly going to sweep the US market with its diesel offerings. They are a niche brand and will always have a niche market. It is interesting to note their aggressive stance in introducing new models and advertising them. VW is the brand that could and should occupy a more mainline role among auto brands in the US. They have the engineering, they have the capacity, they have the resources, they can sell at an attractive price point, and they certainly could have the range of diesel models. Yet they seem to lack the will or interest to push very hard in the US. Bigger fish to fry?
In august sales numbers TDI were 24% of sales to date
The compact Jetta sedan’s August total included 3,825 diesels, accounting for 28.3 percent.
TDI models also outsold gasoline counterparts in a few cases. They made up 74 percent of Jetta Sportwagen sales for August, 53.1 percent of Golf sales, and 51.9 percent of Touareg sales.​

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1086833_volkswagen-august-sales-boosted-by-tdi-diesel-models

Last edited:

Dooglas

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta
In august sales numbers TDI were 24% of sales to date. The compact Jetta sedan’s August total included 3,825 diesels, accounting for 28.3 percent. TDI models also outsold gasoline counterparts in a few cases.
But more to the point (so far as VWs role in the US market), VW sales dropped 12% in September and remain just below 3% of US auto sales. Ford and Chrysler sales increased.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
But more to the point (so far as VWs role in the US market), VW sales dropped 12% in September and remain just below 3% of US auto sales. Ford and Chrysler sales increased.

I don't know why this happen. It could be that other had so many left overs, they had some great deals. See what happen over time.

poppadoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat & jetta wagons
I have been buying VW diesel cars since 1981 and then last month I bought 200 hundred shares of Ford stock .Tired of waiting for a new Passat Wagon tdi .

Dim Sum

TDI
2012 Golf 6MT Tech 4 Door, 2011 F-350
Simple. Ford and Chrysler are building cars people want instead of dictating to them what they should want.

People don't want a micro car or micro suv. As well, VW's perception of poor reliability is continually reinforced by survey after survey.

If VW wants to be more popular in America, they have to fix the reliability problem and drop the hipster crowd they tend to attract. Hyundai figured it out. VW needs to do the same and the best part is the road map is there as Hyundai has shown them what to do.

titleist1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE TDI
VW is behind in length of warranty coverage when compared to other car brands. Couple that with the reliability issues and you are going to have difficulty expanding your customer base.

TRoger

TDI
MKVI
I don't know why this happen. It could be that other had so many left overs, they had some great deals. See what happen over time.
When you are faced with paying close to 30 thousand for a small Golf (TDI, technology pack) where you can pay the same for a Fusion Hybrid... it gets though.

The only reason I do not set a foot on a Ford dealer is because I know I will see first hand the much better value for money that the Ford offers and I will end up leaving VW... probably forever.

Resale value used to be a great VW point (for Diesels) but honestly, its been very disappointing the last 3 years, at least for the Golf, not so much for the Passat which holds its value pretty nicely.

Add to this that in 30,000 miles my Golf has spent parked at the dealer once, an entire month for a transmission repair, and now for a broken seat latch...

Right now only the Passat TDI Premium seems a good value for money... the rest of the lineup compared to Ford are way way way behind.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
I agree. Take the current Golf/Jetta TDI. Way expensive in relation to the kind of real estate you are getting. The mileage is also mediocre relatively speaking to the roomier Passat which is also assembled in the USA.

Perception/reality of reliability is also a down side for VW. There is a little bit hope in the horizon if Mazda finally brings the diesel engine to the US next year.

When you are faced with paying close to 30 thousand for a small Golf (TDI, technology pack) where you can pay the same for a Fusion Hybrid... it gets though.

The only reason I do not set a foot on a Ford dealer is because I know I will see first hand the much better value for money that the Ford offers and I will end up leaving VW... probably forever.

Resale value used to be a great VW point (for Diesels) but honestly, its been very disappointing the last 3 years, at least for the Golf, not so much for the Passat which holds its value pretty nicely.

Add to this that in 30,000 miles my Golf has spent parked at the dealer once, an entire month for a transmission repair, and now for a broken seat latch...

Right now only the Passat TDI Premium seems a good value for money... the rest of the lineup compared to Ford are way way way behind.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
Ditto to what DnA Diesel said!!! Give me a Tiguan TDI with 6 speed manual!!! Would make a great efficient tow vehicle.
Too bad the cargo space is a very low 23.8 cubic feet! At least the Jetta Wagon has a decent 32.8 cubic feet of cargo space. Something like the VW Touran or the Mazda 5 cargo space is more like it in my view while still getting mid 30's MPG in their diesel versions (yes I am aware that we do not have these in the USA).

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
Dim Sum;4319960 If VW wants to be more popular in America said:
1. Don't blame the customer for everything that breaks.

Hell, I used, according to VW the right, oil, the approved additive and when my flipping balance shaft started making noise they said to pound sand. If it was not for the tdiclub I would have long ago tossed in the towel on my Passat. My car had 55k on it at the time and under 5 years well within the warranty parameters.

For the most part, Toyota, Lexus, and many others have figured this out. If VW wants its ambitious plans to become reality, they need to suck it up and warranty without question, people who did the right thing.

I will quit complaining if VW faces up to its less than stellar customer service and reliability.

Good dealers are few and far between. Even my dealer who I think overall will go to bat for you won't do it on things that truly seem obvious sometimes.

There, rant off. Thank you tdiclub! :D

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
Good calls Ironman11142 but not sure if these would sell like hotcakes in the US. You and I would buy them in a heartbeat but for the rest they are not SUVs.

Anything between the small Tiguan and the monster Toureg? Something in the size of Toyota RAV4 but with a diesel engine. Too much to ask?

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Based on the pictures in the above German ads for the Sharan and Touran, they would fit into the Crossover market here and compete against the Equinox, Santa Fe, Kia Sorento, Escape, etc. I would have looked at one of those but we bought a 2013 Santa Fe Sport instead since all that VW has is the Tiguan (pricey).

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Anything between the small Tiguan and the monster Toureg? Something in the size of Toyota RAV4 but with a diesel engine. Too much to ask?
I had to look up the numbers because I thought the Rav-4, CR-V and Tiggy were all about the same size. Tiggy is 5 inches shorter, has 15 cubic feet less cargo room, and 17 cubic feet less overall interior volume. It does have a higher towing capabilities, 2000# vs 1500#. I know we bought the 09 CR-V over the Tiggy becasue it felt bigger, had a nicer ride, didn't require premium, and my wife thought the Tiggy looked like a Golf. Of course now she has a Golf, so maybe going up to a Tiggy TDI wouldn't be as big of an issue now.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
Based on the pictures in the above German ads for the Sharan and Touran, they would fit into the Crossover market here and compete against the Equinox, Santa Fe, Kia Sorento, Escape, etc. I would have looked at one of those but we bought a 2013 Santa Fe Sport instead since all that VW has is the Tiguan (pricey).
I agree the Tiguan is pricey for its size and interior volume. Oh I forgot the Mazda CX-5 with around 34 cubic feet of cargo. They keep talking about a diesel version coming in 20xx :rolleyes:

The Hyundai Santa Fehas a tad larger cargo space (41 cubic feet) than my Passat Wagon (39 cu ft).

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
I'd take a new Passat Tdi wagon. No way will I go with a $50k Q7
Q7? the Q5 TDI starts at $46.5k, but a few options and you hit $50k in a flash. the Q7 TDI starts at $52.5k, but that is a lower option package (Premium, not the Premium Plus the Q5 starts with), so yoou're up to $59k for starters.

mikedotd

TDI
WTB
VW is behind in length of warranty coverage when compared to other car brands. Couple that with the reliability issues and you are going to have difficulty expanding your customer base.
Agreed. VW might be pushing the product and marketing to hit big global sales numbers, but the bean counters are still in control of the [limited] warranty.

bakdoor

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta, 2006 Jetta (gone), 1999 Jetta-blue (gone,) 1999 Jetta-green (gone)
So when are we going to see the Q3 TDI here? Or the A4 or A5 TDI? I'd love to step up to an Audi, but I don't like the A3, the A7 is stupid $, and the Q5 and Q7 are too big for my needs--I have a Cummins Ram for my heavy haul duties. What I need from Audi is a small car or crossover with the 2.0 TDI engine that gets great mileage. Yes, I want an Audi, but I'm not going to buy something that doesn't fit my needs. When are they going to wake up?