RNS510 Firmware & Maps Info Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
You can PM Lokiwolf and he'll send the firmware and VIM update and map links.

I am just going to use the firmware and VIM fixes and not the maps because I'm too damn stupid to figure out how to break up the 7 gigs of map info into two DVDs to transfer it to my unit.

Okay, my stupidity got me searching and I ended up on the Continental Site. http://www.rns510.de/technology.html
They are a little silly in their touting of the speed of their RNS 510 for VW, but I was struck that they say you can update data via the SD card.
So, I've got to ask: Can I transfer the new LokiWolf map data via SD card to the unit?

mattfrayage

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat NMS TDI SEL Premium
Okay, my stupidity got me searching and I ended up on the Continental Site. http://www.rns510.de/technology.html
They are a little silly in their touting of the speed of their RNS 510 for VW, but I was struck that they say you can update data via the SD card.
So, I've got to ask: Can I transfer the new LokiWolf map data via SD card to the unit?
MPEG2 support as well as .jpg images are supported on the euro spec 3T0 series 510 with SD but not American spec 3C0 510, i think we may see updates this way one day, it just might be awhile the way VWOA is handling it;)
on second thought, i am not so sure you should hold your breath on that, after all we have already had way too many people suffocate waiting for 4366! let alone an actual content support update:eek:

Last edited:

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
So far, Nope. I have tried to get the format correct, but so far have not been successful. It would be a matter of a simple copy for sure.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
You can PM Lokiwolf and he'll send the firmware and VIM update and map links.

I am just going to use the firmware and VIM fixes and not the maps because I'm too damn stupid to figure out how to break up the 7 gigs of map info into two DVDs to transfer it to my unit.
You can't split it between 2 regular DVD's, you have to use a Double Layer DVD or a DVDR-DL.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Sorry, just getting back to the computer after being out this weekend. Yes, as LokiWolf said, it was just the map update.
The system is still painfully slow. I think it updated a few of the recent road changes in our area and will have to check into it more tomorrow when i'm on the road. LokiWolf, you have been in the middle and getting all of the answers. You sir, are a great help!
Glad to help! Get the firmware update, and the speed will be improved.

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
You can't split it between 2 regular DVD's, you have to use a Double Layer DVD or a DVDR-DL.

Well there you go....I didn't know there was such a beast. I like it when I learn something new, and appreciate the schooling.

eshawger

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
That's interesting Continental is still touting a 30 GB HDD when the newest units have been upgraded to SSD for 2014.

tdrag97

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Prem
OMG Loki.. thank you so much for the FW. 4366 is a major improvement over my crapy old 3696... I dont care what other say.. this is better , so much better. any improvement over 3696 is major. now downloading the map, since he VW map they sent is not new

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
OMG Loki.. thank you so much for the FW. 4366 is a major improvement over my crapy old 3696... I dont care what other say.. this is better , so much better. any improvement over 3696 is major. now downloading the map, since he VW map they sent is not new
Glad to help!

shuytco

TDI
Passat SEL
Thanks Loki for the firmware and the other updates. I used Memorex cdr's for the firmware and the VIM which both worked without any problems. I used Memorex dvdr+ dl and imgburn for the maps. First two updates took less than 2 hrs. Last update took 8 hrs the first day and it kept restarting. I went and downloaded the maps again and burned it again based on recommendations from this forum. Just left the disc in my car and drove around for a the last few days. Eventually the update completed.

Thanks and a little something sent your way on paypal.

Deezil_n_Dachs

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Got the map update done tonight. Took something like 35 mins to burn the disc, then 70 mins for the install. Thanks again LokiWolf.

hudsonian

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Highline TDI
Has anyone in Canada received the map update disc from VW? I bought my car in June and have received nothing.

elsid

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
I was wondering how far behind I am? Here is what I am showing on my 2012 Passat TDI SEL:

HW -- H61
SW -- 3690
Map -- 7565

ChinaBob

TDI
2016 BMW 328d x-drive; 2015 Audi A3 TDi
I installed LokiWolf's firmware updates last week. Night-and-day improvement in touch sensitivity and response. It has transformed the navigation system into something so much more usable.

Had trouble installing the maps; I had burned the DVDR-DL using the built-in Windows 8 burner so as a final shot took LW's advice and used imgburn, like I should have done in the first place. The new maps are installing now.

Huge thanks to LokiWolf!!

fhpski

TDI
2013 Passat SEL
I had my 20,000 mile service on Monday. I told the service writer that my nav was slow to respond and ask to have it check. I watched the tech and he never hooked a computer up to my passat. When the passat was done the service writer explained that nothing was found wrong. He continued to explain that with the radio on, bluetooth phone connection, and the Nav running is what slowed down the system.
Liked I believed any of it. Oh well. It is what it is.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I had my 20,000 mile service on Monday. I told the service writer that my nav was slow to respond and ask to have it check. I watched the tech and he never hooked a computer up to my passat. When the passat was done the service writer explained that nothing was found wrong. He continued to explain that with the radio on, bluetooth phone connection, and the Nav running is what slowed down the system.
Liked I believed any of it. Oh well. It is what it is.
So now that you know the dealer can't do anything for you, what are you going to do next?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

fhpski

TDI
2013 Passat SEL
I have read through the postings and I understand you have a wealth of knowledge for the RNS 510. Like others have stated I personally appreciate you sharing what you have learned with this forum. Everyone owes you their graditude. I guess I should pm you! Thanks again!

Dagw00d

TDI
2013 Passat TDI Highline
Has anyone in Canada received the map update disc from VW? I bought my car in June and have received nothing.
Nothing from VW, Passat TDI Highline purchased around May/June also.

Did the V4366 and Map V6 update with LokiWolf as source and RNS 510 works fine.

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
So now that you know the dealer can't do anything for you, what are you going to do next?

Lokiwolf, I just want to lend my voice to the chorus praising your efforts and chime in to say thank you. I downloaded all three of your updated files.
As I mentioned previously, the map updated to my laptop, but I didn't have either software or double layer DVDs to burn a copy of the file, so that has slid into the "something to do later" category. I copied the VIM file and was unable to get past #8 in your instructions, as a result of an error msg and my screen asking for me to hit the <GUIDE>+<Day/Night>+ EJECT> buttons to proceed. I was/am ignorant as to how to enter this info as the Day/Night button is in settings and unavailable when the error screen appears. Anyway, that really isn't too important to me as the Firmware update went smoothly and was finished in approx. 20 minutes.
As I told a friend when I was telling him how happy I was with the results of the firmware update, "it's like going from a two barrel carburetor to a supercharger." What s a HUGE difference re before vs. after.
This firmware update absolutely resolved all my disappointment with the performance of the RNS 510 and in doing so, has increased my smiles per miles enjoyment of the car by a considerable amount.
Frankly, I'm astounded by VW's inability to grasp the level of customer satisfaction that would be gained with providing this update instead of just a map rehash. And, the increase in sales would be substantial as it would end a major complaint by owners and reviewers-- I guess parts of VW Corporate are pretty stupid.
Thanks again.
RC

fhpski

TDI
2013 Passat SEL
LokiWolf, Thanks again for your assistance on the firmware, vim, and other data. I sent you something in paypal to show my appreciation.

khogan16

TDI
2010 CC lux
Updated links

Loki could I get the updated links for the files.
Also i cant tell what version of the 510 that i have. I tried to hold the steup button for 30 seconds. I do get to the screen that should show the version but it doesn't show. If anyone can help on how to unhide that I would greatly appreciate that.

my vehilce is a 2010 vw CC lux, I dont have the star buttton on mine . mine shows the star and moon key. I would like to update to the latest FW and maps that I can. I have tried to load the maps three times. I burned three different DVD+R dl memorex dvds which all were brand new DVDs on my mac. I know im using the disk utility correctly. it starts like the directions say but then in the middle of installing the maps, it stops and says that there is a problem with the cd\dvd and pops it out now it keeps asking for a map cd.

What would be the newest version of the FW that i can upgrade to and could this be causing the problems with the map updates?
if anyone could help i would really appreciate it. Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Loki could I get the updated links for the files.
Also i cant tell what version of the 510 that i have. I tried to hold the steup button for 30 seconds. I do get to the screen that should show the version but it doesn't show. If anyone can help on how to unhide that I would greatly appreciate that.

my vehilce is a 2010 vw CC lux, I dont have the star buttton on mine . mine shows the star and moon key. I would like to update to the latest FW and maps that I can. I have tried to load the maps three times. I burned three different DVD+R dl memorex dvds which all were brand new DVDs on my mac. I know im using the disk utility correctly. it starts like the directions say but then in the middle of installing the maps, it stops and says that there is a problem with the cd\dvd and pops it out now it keeps asking for a map cd.

What would be the newest version of the FW that i can upgrade to and could this be causing the problems with the map updates?
if anyone could help i would really appreciate it. Thank you in advance.
Please check your PM on Vortex. Please do not try to hunt me down on various sites. I will reply. Sometimes it may take me a while. -Thanks.

khogan16

TDI
2010 CC lux
no hunting

Please check your PM on Vortex. Please do not try to hunt me down on various sites. I will reply. Sometimes it may take me a while. -Thanks.
Sorry loki, I was reading the various forums and had found that the forum i was on was locked. It had a link here so I thought that this was where i need to ask that. No hunting intended, thanks for the help!

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
So, I feel I need to repeat this. MAKE SURE YOU CAN RECEIVE PM's BEFORE YOU PM ME FOR LINKS!!!!

This is the 3rd person in 48 hours to send me a message I can't reply to. Kinda frustrating cause it doesn't tell you until after you have composed the message...

If you haven't gotten a reply from me about links, that is most likely why...

tc1uscg

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD TO VW

The LEAST he can do is tell other possible buyers not to waist their money? ;)

tc1uscg

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD TO VW
WHMJr and I have taken the conversation over to PM, he has apologized to me, and I to him for the direction the posts went. We are done discussing that. I read EVERY one of his posts more than once. I know exactly what he said and didn't say. We have moved on, how about you?

Take the energy ya'll are directing on this forum complaining and direct it at VW. WHMJr has done just that, hence why he and his dealer are discussing buyback. I AM TRYING TO HELP. Complaining about it on this forum in this thread, will do little to no good. On their FB page, calling the VW service line(Not Dealer), and sending e-mails to VW customer service would be a better utilization of your time if you actually wanted to do something about it.

The disc VW sent out is next to useless. It might make a SMALL improvement in the unit, but only during NAV functions, not general use of the radio. You have a 2013, so you had 3696 Firmware, and 7870 Maps. Now you still have 3696 Firmware, and 7994 Maps. You wasted 2 hours. You could have done the 4366 firmware update, and 7963 Map update in that same time, and actually fixed some of the issues, and had a year newer Map data.
I disagree. Bringing our complaints to this forum is what fixes stuff, at least at the user level. I search the Jeep forums before I run off to the dealer if I have an issue. It helps if one fells the service department is blowing smoke. And yes, I've moved on. 2 months after buying the passet realizing I just waisted almost 2k on a POS nav/radio system that I could have gotten for 1/4 the price at Micky Shorrs or CarTunes. Heck, Bestbuy has a better unit.. Don't cloud the issue. The radios that VW is putting in these cars are crap. Safety hazards IMO. Nothing wrong with the car. Just just the options that are more then 5 years behind the times and have issues. So, if I can stop 2 or 3 buys from buying these crappy radios, I will have done my job as a consumer. Just sayin.

Last edited:

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
FWIW, I just got back car from car shopping today. I have still not found a single touch-based system worth a damn. Compared to what I saw in a Ford and a Subaru today, the RNS is actually pretty damn good.

VW has CarNet, Hyundai has BlueLink, GM has CUE, Ford has Sync, etc. etc. What they all need to do is just use Android or iOS (*cough* like Tesla *cough*). It's just silly trying to reinvent the wheel and ending up with a product that rivals smartphones from 2006.

Status
Not open for further replies.