Easy fix for your older TDI, if down on power and MPG

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Does your TDI feel tired and sluggish? Is it hard to wake up in the morning? Does it smoke a bit on takeoff from stop lights? Is it burning more fuel than it used to.

My Golf TDI had all these symptoms, but they developed so slowly that I hardly noticed. Then, when I was having another problem fixed, my mechanic pointed out some fraying on the vacuum hose leading to the turbo. It turned out that he had time to replace all my vacuum hoses.

All I can say is, Wow! It was like upgrading to a bigger turbo or race nozzles. Instantly, way more power than before. Instantly, no hesitation at all on acceleration. No exhaust smoke. And fuel economy -- before, I was averaging 37-39 mpg in late August and early September. But the last three tanks have averaged 44 mpg, with no change at all in my driving mix or pattern.

So, if your TDI is more than five years old, and if it doesn't seem to have the pep that it used to have, it's possible that replacing the vacuum hoses connecting all the various sensors will make your TDI run like new.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Two items that can help you watch those things decline in performance are: 1. Boost gauge and 2. a Vacuum gauge for the vacuum system (not Intake).

I installed a Vac gauge in my Vanagon ALH, I was a little surprised at the reaction of the gauge with braking, WOT (vac to operate Actuator), etc., as well as the 24 inches of vac drawn by the vac pump. Oddly, once the engine is shut-down, the vacuum level drops to zero rather fast. I'm not sure if that is normal, if the one-way valve is faulty, or if there is a leak......:mad: ....... I suppose I need to do some tests to confirm the bled-down is or is not a leak! Anyway, engine seems to do quite well.:D

tico_tdi

TDI
golf gl 2003 silver (sold), 2013 Passat SE(buyback), 2015 Passat SE, Audi 2015 Q7 TDI (new addition) gray
vacuum hoses

What brand/type of hose do yo suggest as replacements? I'm noticing the same mileage reduction on my 03 golf.
thanks

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
What brand/type of hose do yo suggest as replacements? I'm noticing the same mileage reduction on my 03 golf.
thanks
It was whatever my mechanic had in stock. But I think there are threads here at TDI Club, and if not then Google will help you find a vendor.