.:R32 to .:R-TDI Build Thread

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Your issues with McNally perfectly describe everyone I know who has had them, kind of like 034 Motorsports engine and dogbone mounts. Nice in theory...
Can someone fill me in? :confused: I'm looking at getting gauges for my Ranger build and these were the top runner because I could get two gauges into one spot. (PM works if you don't want to ruffle any feathers) TIA:)

danielhf

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore...
My McNally has been reliable for over a year now.

Have you considered putting your "CAI" next to the CAI?
I do want to do something like this, but that will have to wait until I can get some time in with someone who does TIG welding. The whole setup is pretty floppy with all of those silicone couplers, and gravity has been what has been holding this setup in place (you can visually see why).

danielhf

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore...
I think I am going to have to swap my Jetta over to AWD now. :(
That's a pretty big job. The ultimate would be a MKIV .:R wagon TDI. I'd have done it if I didn't trash my wagon. I still have the wagon R replica bumper from SRS-tec.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
That's a pretty big job. The ultimate would be a MKIV .:R wagon TDI. I'd have done it if I didn't trash my wagon. I still have the wagon R replica bumper from SRS-tec.
Yeah I know, but different. A semi local guy did it to a golf. Kinda attached to my jetta anyway. And its the last real thing I haven't done. We will see how the car handles being FWD for a while.

rspring

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta CR; 2011 BMW 335D
I have participated in rear pan swaps a couple of times, unfortunately those vehicles were all body on frame designs. Still, I don't think this is as terrible as it is made out, but you will have to tack in significant supports to ensure you don't allow any movement or sagging before you cut anything.

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
Yeah the guy I know with the golf did a lot of bracing. It may never happen but I have my eyes open for a tt drivetrain.

danielhf

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore...
Nash_TDI, I'd love to see a completed 4motion Jetta swap! That is something that I really didn't want to do, thus this thread came about.

World Impex was unwilling to ship me a 4motion wagon floor pan, it's actually not that expensive. The part numbers return nothing anymore on their website, but I was looking back at an email and they only wanted $325 for the part.

4motion variant rear floor pan: 1J9813114A $325 World Impex
4motion floor plate (over tank) 1J9813111G $325 World Impex
4motion left outer cross member 1J0802951A $50 World Impex
4motion right outer cross member 1J0802952A $50 World Impex
4motion tow eye 1J9803612B $41 World Impex
4motion diesel fuel tank 1J0201060BT $736 World Impex

These prices didn't seem that bad.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS

danielhf

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore...
A local guy built an r32, 4motion jetta wagon a few years ago:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzK1dLbgS-g

His "build thread" is worthless since all the pictures blew away. Finished pictures ended up in his for sale add: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...-r32-wagon&p=70351325&viewfull=1#post70351325
I actually saw this car right after he finished it at Dubs in the Valley. I was so jealous. He did such a good job on this car. He had to weld in a 9" section at the rear of the floor pan to compensate for the Jetta Wagon being longer. That would be one of the upsides to ordering the pan new. Also, not having to drill it out of the original car would save some time.

ddd8896

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon - 5 Speed, 2001 Jetta - 5 Speed, 1984 Jetta coupe TD - 5 Speed, 2011 Golf - DSG
Excellent thread. A lot of good info here, Ive been soaking it up for about an hour by now. Im looking to do a similar swap in the future. I have an 05 Golf TDI BEW 5 speed of coarse. I want to do a 4motion swap the other way around. Im assuming ill run into some similar issues. My parts list will probably look something like this:

-Euro 6 speed AWD trans, axles, mounts, etc
-R32/TTq Rear Haldex Assembly + driveshaft
-R32 floor pan
-R32 tank

The thing that scares me the most is wiring up the haldex unit. I havent found any good writeups regarding haldex management as this swap isnt a frequent one. I heard you can use stand alone haldex management but not sure.

4ringking

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
A few Audi's?
Awesome thread! I am in the the process of doing a 02 ALH O2J swap into a 04 1.8t tip vehicle, and you cover a lot of the issues I was wondering about!

cumminsfromthecold

Veteran Member
TDI
'84 Toyota 1Z 4WD x-cab, '13 Jetta Wagon
Re. R TDI AWD screamer

I was lucky enough to witness - and drive :eek: - this beast at the March 17th west coast GTG. I'm afraid it ruined me. Very nicely done, danielhf! The R TDI is what I've been waiting for VW to offer here, but like the Diesel Toyota truck.... I guess we gotta build it ourselves. :D

rspring

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta CR; 2011 BMW 335D
@ddd FOUCKHEST on here has done the swap you are proposing.

I don't know how to attach a link to his thread, but he first converted a FWD Golf to AWD, then did a smokin diesel swap. Do a search here and you will find the diesel swap part, he can probably tell you where the AWD swap thread is on vortex or somewhere.

danielhf

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore...
Small update. Car has been pretty flawless. Have over 10k miles on the swap with no major issues. I had a scare this week when I noticed that both low beam headlights were out, so I assumed there was an electrical problem post-swap that had developed. After replacing both bulbs, I was happy to discover both bulbs had just burnt out at the same time.

I got to meet a good group of the Northern CA locals recently at the NorCal GTG. An excellent and friendly group of people! xxxxxx and his son helped me fix a recent exhaust leak, which is much appreciated!

I will not be surprised to see cumminsfromthecold driving another AWD TDI in the near future. After driving my car, I think the "gears started turning" (pun intended) in his mind. He was able to build a Toyota 4x4 TDI, this should be a walk in the park for him.

Also, this should add at least 50 AWHP, right?

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
Glad to hear its running well Daniel! We managed to take our project to the strip and put down some times, 12.46 @ 117 with a half assed launch and a crappy 3rd gear shift. Take a look on our Youtube Channel!

Thanks again for your help when the 4 motion was going together!

danielhf

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore...
Glad to hear its running well Daniel! We managed to take our project to the strip and put down some times, 12.46 @ 117 with a half assed launch and a crappy 3rd gear shift. Take a look on our Youtube Channel!

Thanks again for your help when the 4 motion was going together!
Happy that I could be of some help! Amazing times and trap speeds! Compounds with 4motion seems like a very good idea. That car sounds to be insanely powerful. I'd imagine that you will break into the 11s with a better run. Is that thing still a stock motor just with nozzles, turbos, and tune?

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
Yeah it was a decent day out, I know we can get into the mid 11's with this without much fuss, the driver (ME!!) was the weak link in this instance! haha.

Still a totally stock long block, we lifted the head when testing out the compound setup and even after fitting upgraded studs 1 at a time the damage was already done. Had we caught it early i think we would have no problems!

danielhf

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore...
Wow. That's amazing. I'd imagine a performance cam and a ported head will do wonders for your car.

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Well, there is a mild cam in there already, ported head ready to go in once we get chance to pull the engine for a full balance and build!

ta79pr

Veteran Member
TDI
02 TTQ (BEW)
Is the wiring spreadsheet open source or is that being kept close to the vest. I picked up an 02 TT (225) with a blown engine and have a BEW with the harness ready to install (also got a 4motion DRV gearbox). The wiring appears tricky. and I would like to study that excel sheet I see in the pics.
Also, I appreciate your taking the time to post that issue with the fuel senders.

danielhf

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore...
Is the wiring spreadsheet open source or is that being kept close to the vest. I picked up an 02 TT (225) with a blown engine and have a BEW with the harness ready to install (also got a 4motion DRV gearbox). The wiring appears tricky. and I would like to study that excel sheet I see in the pics.
Also, I appreciate your taking the time to post that issue with the fuel senders.
My diagram is specific to a EDC15(P) style ECU (ALH and early Euro PD) so it will likely not be of much use to you. I also am not willing to distribute it at the moment for a couple of other reasons that I'd prefer not to get into for now. Sorry!

ta79pr

Veteran Member
TDI
02 TTQ (BEW)
Fuel pump (4motion)

I was making the mods to my fuel pump after reading your thread, particularly post #5. Your quote is "There is a tube that goes from this sending unit to the other side of the tank, where it connects to a teed off line from the fuel pump pickup."

I think you may have your driver side sending unit plumbed backwards. It is the fuel pump output (not the pickup) that goes from the passenger side fuel pump to driver side sender unit.

I am not sure if you are having any problems with your gauge/capacity.

Pasted below is from the alldata for a good explanation of the eductor:
Vehicle » Powertrain Management » Fuel Delivery and Air Induction » Fuel Pump » Description and Operation

Description and Operation

The fuel tank in All Wheel Drive (AWD) vehicles is divided into two chambers. The electric Fuel Pump (FP) unit (with fuel pump) -1- is in the right chamber. Pump -2- is designed to empty the left chamber -3-.

The Fuel Pump (FP) not only delivers fuel to the engine, it also operates the secondary fuel pump.

For this, it creates an operating stream that is pressed into the secondary fuel pump via a jet which causes acceleration This acceleration causes the fuel in the left chamber of the fuel tank to be drawn into the right chamber of the fuel tank.

In this way, the left chamber of the fuel tank is emptied first, so that there is always enough fuel in the right chamber for the Fuel Pump (FP).

Disturbances caused by a defective secondary fuel pump

If the secondary fuel pump -2- is not functioning, up to 15 liters of fuel -3- (up to about 1/4 of tank capacity) can remain in the left portion of the fuel tank that cannot be drawn out by the Fuel Pump (FP).

If the vehicle will not run due to lack of fuel although the tank is about 1/4 full, proceed as follows:
Check Fuel Pump (FP). Refer to "Fuel Pump, Electrical Testing (All Wheel Drive)", See: Testing and Inspection
If the Fuel Pump (FP) is OK, but no fuel is being pumped:
Add about 5 liters of fuel to the tank.
Start engine.
If the engine starts now:
Replace secondary fuel pump. Refer to "Secondary Fuel Pump, Removing and Installing (All wheel drive)", See: Service and Repair

Eletrik

TDI
2001 Jetta
Thanks for posting this swap - and for the details/challenges! Very helpful and a real timesaver for those with similar issues. I love your shop with all the VW projects in various stages - you are a true enthusiast... I was aiming to be the first to do it, but as it turns out my donor car for this project was way to nice to rip apart so I ended up fixing it instead.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...ta-TDI-build&p=83173821&posted=1#post83173821

Truth be said, my R is also way to nice and runs to well for me to take the leap just yet. It's really hard to tear apart a perfect running car - you know? Maybe when the engine finally dies or the car starts to show its age... Meanwhile it looks like I'll be contacting Ryan soon for the TDI manifold setup... Maybe in the future if my 3.2L ever blows (waaay in the future) I will re-consider, but for now I'll just settle with doing an ethanol conversion (I make my own from cellulose) and a turbo upgrade.

Congrats on having what arguably could be called the "Ultimate R" - the coolest and most economical performance car in the US IMHO. When I first made this statement in the R32 forum a year ago, the hating and trolling got so bad the thread had to be removed - twice. A lot of R purists and young "tuner boys" (gas-holes I like to call them) who have no appreciation for the superior efficiency and torque characteristics of the diesel engine hated my proposal. They said I was going to ruin a perfectly good car and that I was a **** loving, tree hugging, Prius driving hippie who lives in the slow lane. Nothing could be further from the truth (I hate ******, burn wood for heat, and drive an R32 in the passing lane).... You have proven the validity of my proposal - that one can have the best of both worlds. You have proven that it can be done and still keep the heart of the R true. I mean just look at your forced induction system - SWEET. Why VW wont export these to us here in the states is beyond me... BTW - you can process your own biodiesel from veggie oil and pour it directly into your tank for a petro-free ride with no mods, no heaters and no engine issues. Check it out:

http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_processor.html

You CAN be a fast badass and "hug trees" at the same time - no slow lane for us.....