Revised B4 MFA conversion article

Bravo19r

Veteran Member
TDI
Y2K4 Jetta Variant TDI (RIP), 1996 B4V 1.9 TDI (Re-Homed), 2010 Jetta TDI Highline
It was a custom job done by Moman. With shipping and instalation, it was $200 Canadian. As soon as I get it into the car, I will post another pic.

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'97 B4 w/ 236K mi body, 46K mi soul
Ah ok. EL gauge faces, your custom graphics, UV fluorescent material (on the website), and swapping the LEDs on the LCD backlights.

I'm curious how room was made around the stepper motors for lighting the needles... If you care to do some disassembly and photo, it would be appreciated.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
I've wanted new oem gauges faces with out the unleaded fuel only smudge-out for a while. How do those look up close?

Last edited:

Bravo19r

Veteran Member
TDI
Y2K4 Jetta Variant TDI (RIP), 1996 B4V 1.9 TDI (Re-Homed), 2010 Jetta TDI Highline
The faces look OEM close up and you would not know that they are aftermarket. I will try to get a disassembly pic soon.

Please bear with me as I am not near a computer all that often. shot me a email and I will jump online with a response.

Bravo19r

Veteran Member
TDI

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
I've got a European 1.9 TDI. Anyone know how hard it is to add MFA to it?

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
I've got a European 1.9 TDI. Anyone know how hard it is to add MFA to it?

There was an option for a passat TDI MFA cluster, you might want keep an eye on eBay for it. Then it would be plug and play.

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
So I just replace the cluster and install the MFA/wiper switch? Do I need to add sensors or are they already installed on the Euro TDI? How about the KM number? Is the number of KM driven stored in the cluster or in the ECU? Mileage can't be changed or I fail MOT

Last edited:

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I don't think there is any difference between an EU cluster and the Canadian cluster I converted for my car. You will still need to procure an oil temp sensor, an MFA wiper stalk, and an outside temp sensor. In addition to wiring and connectors. Derek white was able to convert my MFA cluster and reprogram correct km InThe odometer.

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI, 2011 Touareg TDI
After 9 Years, finally, sorta

After 9 years I have mine in, and it is mostly like I want it. The whole reason it took me so long was getting around to programming the mileage. I put it off because I wasn't sure how to build the connector for the service port, but I tackled that about two weeks ago, making it out of wood and tacks. Using the encoding that Chubs Auto had posted, I tired getting the tachometer to work correctly with the 5.5k RPM face. Unfortunately I did not, but it does work right with the 7k RPM face.

I still have to install the outside air sensor, and buy/install an oil temp sensor. After that it should be good to go.

Thanks to Chris for the write up, ele28 for planting the idea that I could reprogram it myself, Derek for the encoding he posted, and the Internet tools that allowed me to translate Russian.

EDIT
Forgot to mention, I now have a functioning MIL. I wondered why it didn't always come on for a bulb test. The solder joint was broken.

Last edited:

TDIL3dad

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4, 96 B4V project
There was an option for a passat TDI MFA cluster, you might want keep an eye on eBay for it. Then it would be plug and play.
Was the optional MFA cluster available on US Passat TDIs or only EU?

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
What's the VW part number please?

What are the pros and cons of using this EU optional TDI MFA cluster?

TIA
Pros - plug & play, stock appearance (no "Unleaded Fuel Only" to hide)
Cons - Metric gauge graduations, Metric (or Imperial for UK) MFA display (although Derek could recode the Country Code for US market), different location/no MIL lamp depending on year (could be added).

If you're still interested in P/n: vagcat.com

TDIL3dad

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4, 96 B4V project
Pros - plug & play, stock appearance (no "Unleaded Fuel Only" to hide)
Cons - Metric gauge graduations, Metric (or Imperial for UK) MFA display (although Derek could recode the Country Code for US market), different location/no MIL lamp depending on year (could be added).

If you're still interested in P/n: vagcat.com

-- Plug and play installation with minimal surgery is big plus #1.
-- Stock appearance is big plus #2.
I can live with temperature reading in celsius but want fuel reading in US gallons.

Thinking aloud:
-- Has anyone tried using an Air Brush painting service to cover up "Unleaded Fuel Only" ? They can mix a batch of paint to perfectly match the dark gray / black surface, and air brushing can be done to blend in and fade into surrounding surface.

I already have on hand (pulled from donor car) a VR6 manual trans instrument cluster, and also the MFA stalks from a B4V. I still need to find the various sensor cables, and figure out how I want to deal with "unleaded Fuel Only".

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI, 2011 Touareg TDI
The MFA display is different for US vs metric. The odometer display is the same on both. This is my understanding, as when you do a LCD segment test you will not see any metric symbols (l/km, C, km, etc) on a US spec MFA.

For the "Unleaded Fuel Only" I simply covered it with a sticker that says Diesel Fuel Only. Seemed appropriate.

Last edited:

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I already have on hand (pulled from donor car) a VR6 manual trans instrument cluster, and also the MFA stalks from a B4V. I still need to find the various sensor cables, and figure out how I want to deal with "unleaded Fuel Only".
This is a no-brainer: send the cluster to Derek and you're done. He edits the controller chip, changes the odometer to your current value, eliminates the "Unleaded..." graphically and does it all for a very reasonable price.

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
Does Derek have an e-mail? I'm gonna bite the bullet and install MFA during the restoration. Would like him to convert my TDI cluster. I've sent him a PM but I see he doesn't visit very often here.

clyde

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta, 1959 DeSoto with leopard-skin seat covers
Not that I know of. But he's done two cluster conversions for me. I reach him at

217 824-3954, Chub’s Auto, Taylorville, Illinois 62568

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
I'm in Europe, so telephone is a bit difficult for me :/
*edit* found his gmail account in another thread

Last edited:

radekrp90

TDI
1.9 TDI 1Z @ 96 B4
I have small question.
It is possible to reprogram any 35i cluster (late 95 and above) with MFA to change "country code" and "engine type" without using Dakota unit like in first post?
Maybe I not catch everything in Chris Bell post - but it is possible in Euro cluster too ( VR6 to TDI mod)?

And one more thing - is there any chance to do some cross-flash between VR6 and TDI clusters (I mean if I buy VR6 cluster and put into it TDI eeprom dump it will be work as original TDI cluster)?

Last edited:

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes, editing EEPROM to change cylinder number will work, and you shouldn't need to change country code unless you're using a UK or North American cluster.

The TDI-into-VR6 dump should correct for the different tach sweep between 4-cyl. gas vs. 4-cyl. TDI clusters (which changing cylinder number alone won't correct). Everything else should work fine.

radekrp90

TDI
1.9 TDI 1Z @ 96 B4
I have Euro Cluster and i would like to stay with it ;)
So assuming:
- change of country code (miles > km, gal>liters and vice versa) is possible
- change of odometer - possible
- change of cyl. number - possible
a) if i change 6-cyl to 4-cyl do I need TDI or Petrol tach gauge- because I don't realy catch that?
b) Scale/ratio - It can be adjusted by changes in EEPROM?
- change of speedometer (TDI has 0-220 km/h VR6 0-260 - but with different pulse number) - can be that adjusted?

And last question - I'm from Europe and sending cluster from here to USA cost too much to make any diffrence betwen taking VR6 cluster to TDI as a TDI-MFA replacement (i can i think buy cheeper white-TDI-MFA cluster here). It is possible to send EEPROM dump to any one at the mail to flash it here? of course I can pay for editing it - by now I just looking for some info. Here everybody says it is impossible (change cyl-number and country codes).

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I have Euro Cluster and i would like to stay with it ;)
So assuming:
- change of country code (miles > km, gal>liters and vice versa) is possible
But you won't need to change it since you will be getting a Euro cluster and all Euro market clusters use the same country code. Only UK and North American clusters are different.
- change of odometer - possible
- change of cyl. number - possible
a) if i change 6-cyl to 4-cyl do I need TDI or Petrol tach gauge- because I don't realy catch that?
Yes, use your existing TDI tach face in the VR6 cluster. Pulse count must also be changed.
b) Scale/ratio - It can be adjusted by changes in EEPROM?
- change of speedometer (TDI has 0-220 km/h VR6 0-260 - but with different pulse number) - can be that adjusted?
If you want to change from VR6 speedo sweep to TDI sweep, pulse count would have to be changed and TDI speedo face would have to be swapped into VR6 cluster.
And last question - I'm from Europe and sending cluster from here to USA cost too much to make any diffrence betwen taking VR6 cluster to TDI as a TDI-MFA replacement (i can i think buy cheeper white-TDI-MFA cluster here). It is possible to send EEPROM dump to any one at the mail to flash it here? of course I can pay for editing it - by now I just looking for some info. Here everybody says it is impossible (change cyl-number and country codes).
It would be MUCH easier and cheaper to get a TDI MFA cluster and install aftermarket white gauge faces.

radekrp90

TDI
1.9 TDI 1Z @ 96 B4
Thanks a lot for answers ;)
Yes, You have write - it is easier and (maybe and should be) cheaper, but my "curiosity" must know some about this stuff. Till now I was thinking, change anything it those cluster is impossible (except odometer).