TDIFest 2014 -Looking for Expressions of Interest

Status
Not open for further replies.

jay_fyp

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6MT 2004 Jetta TDI (PD) 5mt R.I.P - 2013 Golf TDI 6mt - 2004 Golf TDI (PD) 5MT
New Jersey! Overwhelming amount of people here/TDI owners. Plenty to do. Jersey shore locations would be awesome (tons of them, including Atlantic City with plenty of side entertainment for nightime like gambling, comedy shows, etc. if that's your thing), also northwest NJ has plenty to offer as far as recreational outdoor activities in addition to the fest (search Delaware Watergap, camping, fishing, etc. and a beautiful area for TDI fans to get together). There is basically every atmosphere here whether city, Jersey shore, mountains, or whatever the case may be. Lots to offer. Just throwing it out there.

jay_fyp

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6MT 2004 Jetta TDI (PD) 5mt R.I.P - 2013 Golf TDI 6mt - 2004 Golf TDI (PD) 5MT
Cheapest diesel prices in the country too! For the most part.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Are you offering to be part of a New Jersey TDIFest committee?

This isn't a "where to hold next fest" poll. No one asked where you want someone else to create a fest for you.

It's a WHO is going to host the next fest how-to. Please, everyone, re-read the first post in which the initial steps to making a proposal are spelled out.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
New Jersey! Overwhelming amount of people here/TDI owners. Plenty to do. Jersey shore locations would be awesome (tons of them, including Atlantic City with plenty of side entertainment for nightime like gambling, comedy shows, etc. if that's your thing), also northwest NJ has plenty to offer as far as recreational outdoor activities in addition to the fest (search Delaware Watergap, camping, fishing, etc. and a beautiful area for TDI fans to get together). There is basically every atmosphere here whether city, Jersey shore, mountains, or whatever the case may be. Lots to offer. Just throwing it out there.
Cheapest diesel prices in the country too! For the most part.
I can just see 100+ TDI's descending on gas stations to fill up at the diesel pumps and the pump jockey's going crazy trying to stop self-service! :D

TDI_

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI_
I can just see 100+ TDI's descending on gas stations to fill up at the diesel pumps and the pump jockey's going crazy trying to stop self-service! :D
Hahahah that would be funny. The only thing would be finding a gas station with dieseel pumpS most of them have 1 and if lucky maybe 2. We can however go to a truck stop and take over! That would be fun.

TDI_

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI_
Even though I am from New Jersey and it would be nice to only drive a couple hundred miles for the Fest but, I think Denver, CO is a much better choice. Let's face it, we have diesel cars and our cars love the hills. Mt. Evans, the highest paved road in North America. I was in CO this year and drove through the Rocky Mountain National Park and it was beautiful. I am sure a lot us like to go the Fest for sightseeing and Mt. Evans provides us with plenty of that.
Some can camp if they would like to since there are many campgrounds available! Hell, we can do this... Click Me! ...High Altitude Auto Test Lab.
There are a ton of things to do once you are there, you can hike, bike, go fishing and much more.
I am sure some of you would love to see some of these while there lmao

But yeah, this place is definitely worth looking into for the fest. This is just my opinion and I know a lot of you guys have different opinions, so let us not be like vortex forums and hate :) what are your thoughts? Have a great day.
Helpful Links:
http://www.mountevans.com/index.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Evans
http://www.denver.org/what-to-do/colorado-day-trips/mount-evans
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CpsAX6EYvE
http://www.yelp.com/biz/mount-evans-scenic-byway-evergreen ... you do not see many five star places :)

bassman5066

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2 Door TDI (sold back for Dieselgate), 91 Golf 4 Door with 1Z swap
PA looks good this time of year. ;):rolleyes:

I enjoyed this years fest at a Sunday River Ski Resort, so maybe we could do it in the Poconos? Or even at Pocono raceway?

Sent from my Bosch Motronic ECM via VCDS Version 1.9LVE

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
After two years in the eastern half of the US it's probably time to have something closer to the west coast TDI members. Denver is a good compromise. And although TDIs like hills, their turbos don't always like altitude, especially when tuned. Last time the Fest was in high altitude there were a few blown turbos.

TDI_

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI_
After two years in the eastern half of the US it's probably time to have something closer to the west coast TDI members. Denver is a good compromise. And although TDIs like hills, their turbos don't always like altitude, especially when tuned. Last time the Fest was in high altitude there were a few blown turbos.
That probably would be the only drawback to this option :( How many of us are tuned, modified, big turboed anyways? O wait, that's about 90% of us :D

How about TN like someone suggested before, the VW plant would be nice.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I don't think it's a reason not to have it in Denver, just folks should be aware of the potential, especially if altitude adjustments are turned off in their tunes. I would love a Fest in Denver.

Jayg

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta 6MT-VW bought back as a lemon
I think Chattanooga near the plant would be really neat. Lookout mountain and the surrounding scenery would be fun. Also a great aquarium there.

Also, I'm already roadtripping to Pikes Peak , CO for the hillclimb in June. lol

TDI_

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI_
When and who will choose the next spot anyways? When do you all usually choose a place :)

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
When and who will choose the next spot anyways? When do you all usually choose a place :)
The choice is Fred's aka VW Derf (the site owner) based on the proposals submitted. If memory serves me correct the decision is usually late October to November.

MonsterTDI09

TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
That happens now at the last service station on the turnpike. Some time is so bad they back up on the turnpike.:D

MonsterTDI09

TDI
PA looks good this time of year. ;):rolleyes:

I enjoyed this years fest at a Sunday River Ski Resort, so maybe we could do it in the Poconos? Or even at Pocono raceway?

Sent from my Bosch Motronic ECM via VCDS Version 1.9LVE

It would have to be a very big turn out to rent out the raceway for one day. Then would it be worth it because you could only do single car runs. Then there is insurance for the event and so on. I would feel real bad if someone gets hurt or wrecks there car. On those points I don't think it would be a good idea. The only good part for me. I could stay at my house in the Poconos. And have a cook out and swimming in the lake in the back yard.

Last edited:

bassman5066

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2 Door TDI (sold back for Dieselgate), 91 Golf 4 Door with 1Z swap
Please feel free to start organizing a planning committee.

Have Fun!

Don
Yea, I heard this years fest almost didn't happen because some of the more veteran members want some newer guys to start taking the initiative. I'd be happy to help organize for next years fest if its in my neck of the woods, but either way, if I do make it to next year I will definitely be volunteering. 2013 was my first one and now that I know what it is it would be really cool to make the next one happen.

I would love to go to Colorado, that's just a hike for me. Next year is a will be another new year with more new vacation days, so maybe I can get there.

It would have to be a very big turn out to rent out the raceway for one day. Then would it be worth it because you could only do single car runs. Then there is insurance for the event and so on. I would feel real bad if someone gets hurt or wrecks there car. On those points I don't it a good idea. The only good part for me. I could stay at my house in the Poconos. And have a cook out and swimming in the lake in the back yard.
Not necessarily rent out the track. Just a parking lot, or maybe one of those garage bays they have for the owners to work on their cars. I'm sure they have conference rooms to do any indoor events as well.

I mean it would be cool to rent the track out, but I agree that would have to be a huge turnout to finance that part of the fest and I think that's beyond the scope of what we would wanna do with TDIFest. If we do want to get some track time, I think it should be on an individual basis as far as insurance and payment goes. Maybe we could organize it for a day when the track will be open and do a preregistration and just buy however much time we would need. Has TDIFest ever been held at a racetrack before?

What are we looking for in a venue? I mean as far as amenities and just general features of the location.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Thank you grove! We will just wait and see then :)

Let's go Denver!
It the 'wait and see' attitude that makes these NOT happen.
You want Denver (Reno, Poconos)? Hook up with others, take a look at how prior events have been planned and executed, decide if those are practical for the event YOU and your fellow organizers want to provide, and submit a proposal.
You don't have to be a resident of the region to be an organizer. It helps to have 'feet on the ground', but not every one of the group need to be there. The Montreal event was organized and operated from Providence R.I. with the assistance of members from Montreal.
The Portland event was initiated and organized from California with the able assistance of a contingent of Portland members.
Quit wishing and start doing!

TDI_

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI_
Lug_Nut, that is what I was talking about brother. I am no organizer nor a good planner. I just had an idea and wanted to throw it out there, maybe some folks were thinking about it and I thought I would back them up. I am not here to tell you or the owner that I want it happen! I hear your frustration and I completely understand where you come from since I know you have seen close calls with the Fest not happening. I am not here to hate.

I am with you and there definitely must be some people in the state who can help you make it happen. If by any chance you all decide to choose Jersey, I would be more than happy to volunteer.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
If you want it to happen in NJ, even if you don't consider yourself a good organizer, try recruiting people who do have experience with event planning, and are in your area, and help out where you can.

MonsterTDI09

TDI
New Jersey would be nice. I think next should mid west or central US or north of the border. We will see who sends in a proposal. For me I like to see different parts of the country.

TDI_

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI_
If you want it to happen in NJ, even if you don't consider yourself a good organizer, try recruiting people who do have experience with event planning, and are in your area, and help out where you can.
I do not think you got what I was trying to explain man. I did not say I want it in Jersey! I said if they choose this state then I would help. I honestly cannot think of a nice place to go here during the Fest time.

jay_fyp

Veteran Member
TDI
I am with you and there definitely must be some people in the state who can help you make it happen. If by any chance you all decide to choose Jersey, I would be more than happy to volunteer.
Same here, I'd volunteer. As far as organizing, I have no idea what goes into it or how much time is needed to dedicate to it, but I'm not against trying if a NJ TDIfest gains interest.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I love these threads......Every year, I want it here, I want it there and folks are not stepping up! just giving Lip service! Lip service does not Plan a TDI Fest!! ......and I have been to everyone except 2 and have been involved to minor extent in planning on a couple and for 3 of them I drove there in non-TDI vehicles!!.....and can tell you all straight that the last few have happened because a Core group of members stepped up and pulled it out......This can't continue to happen these folks are going to get burned out and eventually there will be no fests!
These 3-4 days are a Big part of my life!! and I would hate to see them go away...

Last edited:

MonsterDog

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
I love these threads......Every year, I like it here, I like it there and folks are not steeping up! just giving Lip service! Lip service does not Plan a TDI Fest!! ......and I have been to everyone except 2 and have been involved to minor extent in planning on a couple and for 3 of them I drove there in non-TDI vehicles!!.....and can tell you all straight that the last few have happened because a Core group of members stepped up and pulled it out......This can't continue to happen these folks are going to get burned out and eventually there will be no fests!
These 3-4 days are a Big part of my life!! and I would hate to see them go away...
Where is that darn 'LIKE' button.;)

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I'm happy to continue with the TDIFest efforts, as are a number of other people. However, we need to get systems and policies in place to make it less convoluted and stressful. We have made significant progress in growing the event over the past few years, and I'd love to see that continue... just need to get the proper things going on the administrative side of things so that locals aren't overwhelmed by the scope of the event.

So yeah - we're working on that. Hopefully we'll have some information together by the end of the month so that the core administrative group and work together the locals and get things a bit more streamlined. :)

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
After 14 Fests we have a pretty good idea of how to do it. VeedubTDI has been in the fore front. There is a steering committee (core administrative group) that helps from behind the scenes.

As always you NEED a TEAM. Its not easy but it can be done. There have been several Fests that 90% of the work has been done by only one. And as a note that is a thing of the past you need a team. It is a commitment a real commitment.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Is this ANY tune or mainly for the more aggressive ones? I'm considering a Malone Stage 1 with Dynamic EGR, but I don't want to blow the turbo if I ever drive through the mountains! :D

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
As long as the tune is set up to adjust for altitudes and you don't do anything too aggressive I would think you'd be fine. But I will tell you we ship a lot of BEW replacement turbos to Colorado. Stock or tuned, it doesn't seem to matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.