noisy lift pump... imminnent failure?

HPsenicka

Veteran Member
TDI
2 x 2004 Jetta Sport BEW (Malone Stage 1.5), 2014 GSW TDI - Wolfsburg Edition, 2015 Passat TDI -Sport Trim
noisy BEW lift pump... imminnent failure?

During the last 2 weeks or so, I have noticed that the in-tank fuel pump on my 2004 TDI Jetta (BEW/PD) seems louder than I have ever noticed before.

Under normal conditions, I would expect that I might hear the fuel pump "priming" for a few seconds when I turn on the ignition, but I wouldn't expect it to be obvious/loud.

My pump is now loud enough that I can hear it even when the engine is running at idle.

Am I correct to assume that the noise is an indicator of impending failure?

Should a new/good pump be noticably audible, or should it be almost silent... or at least quiet enough not to be heard over an idling engine?

Thanks

Last edited:

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I never hear mine, but then again my hearing is not the greatest. When my Golf was new I did hear a rather loud humming noise from the rear seat area on a very cold day. I had a gasser that did the same thing. I figured it was the fuel pump but did not bother to check it. Years later I did finally replace it, but it was not noisy. If yours is original I would change it.

HPsenicka

Veteran Member
TDI
2 x 2004 Jetta Sport BEW (Malone Stage 1.5), 2014 GSW TDI - Wolfsburg Edition, 2015 Passat TDI -Sport Trim
Unfortunately, I don't have a detailed vehicle history.

I have owned the car since the Spring of 2012... bought it with 195k kms, currently at 255k kms.

The fuel filter was replaced about a year ago, and I ran a can of Diesel Purge through the injector pump about a month ago.

I have added some PS additive to the fuel tank on occasion, but it generally just gets ordinary diesel fuel.

Loki

TDI
2005 NB TDI; 2006 Golf TDI
My 05 NB lift pump started getting loud at 44,000 miles. It made a screeching noise like I have heard when brushes are about to fail on other electric motors. It made that noise occasionally so I replaced the pump. I felt lucky that it gave me a warning, I was able to replace the pump before getting stranded. And you should not be able to hear it with the motor running.

When the lift pump on my wife's 06 golf failed at 57,000 miles it gave no warning, just stopped in the road. Fortunately she was only a half block from home and I was able to push the car home.

Last edited:

HPsenicka

Veteran Member
TDI
I did a bit more investigation a few days ago, and discovered that the fuel temp climbs rather quickly to approx 80C... much higher than normal, I imagine.

Filling the tank with diesel had no real effect on fuel temp, so I am concluding that the pump has already failed, and is circulating little or no fuel at this time.

Just for fun, I measured fuel temp on my wife's ALH Jetta, at highway speed it was holding fairly steady in the 50C range on a 1/4 tank. Filling the tank brought the fuel temp down into the 40C range, cruising between 50 and 60 mph.

I have ordered a replacement pump... should have it in a few days...

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
During the last 2 weeks or so, I have noticed that the in-tank fuel pump on my 2004 TDI Jetta (BEW/PD) seems louder than I have ever noticed before...
All I can say is that when my lift pump failed suddenly, killing the engine, two days earlier I noticed a slightly louder "normal" pump sound. I would install a replacement ASAP! Even if failure was not imminent, if this is the original pump, it WILL FAIL at some point.

Edit: I just read your second post. The lift pumps installed at the VW factory have a beige plastic top. If the pump was replaced, it will have a grey plastic cover (top) and have "VDO" on it. It may or may not have the VW logo and a VW part number on it. The VDO replacement lift pumps are sold aftermarket AND sold by the VW dealers (my above mentioned pump failure was at 46,000 miles and VW replaced the lift pump under warranty. Same grey-top VDO pump the vendors sell, but with the VW logo and part number on it). The Vendor sold VDO has the VW logo and part number ground off. Look at one and you will see the grinder marks.

The fuel temperatures between the ALH and BEW engines will be completely different on at operating temperature engines. The BEW's will be higher, due to the unit injectors and fuel rails in the cylinder head and the extremely high injection pressures. The BEW has a fuel cooler on the return line, approximately under where the front passenger's feet rest, under the car.

--Nate

Last edited:

Redneck Truck

Gone, but not forgotten
TDI
2008 Touareg V10, 2001 Audi TTQ Roadster TDI 6-speed, 2005 Jetta Wagon TDI 6-speed
Will a lift pump failure on a BEW kill the engine or just cause it to stall? Seems like carrying a spare lift pump in case of a failure would be prudent.

HPsenicka

Veteran Member
TDI
I have my replacement pump assembly.... now to burn off some fuel, and find an hour of free time to replace the pump.

Redneck Truck

Gone, but not forgotten
TDI
2008 Touareg V10, 2001 Audi TTQ Roadster TDI 6-speed, 2005 Jetta Wagon TDI 6-speed
Hopefully, the pump doesn't die on a full tank!

HPsenicka

Veteran Member
TDI
Hopefully, the pump doesn't die on a full tank!
Very true! I'm down to about half a tank already, so I should be in safe territory already.

I suspect my pump has already packed it in, but the car still runs. Once I get it opened up it will be interesting to confirm whether it is pumping any fuel at all at this stage.

Last edited:
Reactions: kmi

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Very true! I'm down to about half a tank already, so I should be in safe territory already.

I suspect my pump has already packed it in, but the car still runs. Once I get it opened up it will be interesting to confirm whether it is pumping any fuel at all at this stage.
Pull the feed line off the fuel filter and check. No need to do into the tank.