VW To Debut New Clean Diesel Engine in 2014

MarcusW

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf BlueMotion
This sounds exciting - I wonder what the fuel economy figures will be.

VW To Debut New Clean Diesel Engine in 2014

Volkswagen announced it plans to introduce a new clean diesel engine starting next year.

The new engine, designed EA288, will make its debut in the 2015 Beetle, Golf, Jetta, and Passat in the second half of 2014. It will eventually replace all current VW and Audi 2.0-liter diesel engines.

The new 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine is turbocharged and uses Bosch common-rail technology as well as direct injection. ...

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
What happens when the DPF gets clogged?
I don't know, as I've never seen one on a Volkswagen diesel get that way. I'll be sure to let everyone know when it happens though. Right now, and I have been keeping track, the highest ash load of any CR that comes in here is around 175mL. I'm not sure at one time the regen will fail, and a DPF replacement will be necessary. But, as is usually the case, when the time comes it won't be that big of a deal. DPFs on TDIs are like batteries on hybrids. People love the sky is falling routine, but the real world plays out with much less drama. I'd no more worry about my $1300 DPF clogging on my CR than I would my $1300 injection pump failing on my VE.

kgall

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Audi A-3
What's going on here? Audi's website, in a press release dated Mar 26, says that the new A3 including the TDI will be out Q1 of 2014:
http://audiusanews.com/newsrelease....new-technologically-advanced-2015-audi&mid=16

But in the item posted today, the Diesel Driver says second Half of 2014, and only talks about VW models--no word on the Audi.

Are there engineering or marketing snags we haven't been told about?

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Actually, the DPF on the NMS Passat is cheaper than the cat on an ALH.

Not by much, and mainly because the ALH cat is obscenely priced, but... (both are right around $950)

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Almost certainly.

The alternative is to use extra fuel instead, and that's why Passats, despite being bigger, draggier cars, get better fuel economy than the smaller cars.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
AdBlue is bad, HURDURR. :rolleyes:

Come on, people... AdBlue (DEF) increases efficiency in a modern emissions compliant diesel engine, for a tiny fraction of a cent per mile (net gain: you win!). It is a good thing.

Danielg42

Veteran Member
TDI
B5 Passat BHW - 6 speed manual
They just need to make it easier to refill... no one likes DEF in their trunk xD

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Mind you, other manufacturers have figured this out, and it seems like the domestics like to put a second filler neck in the fuel door for this.

oilhammer

TDI
Yeah, people seem to beat up on SCR for some reason. I too think it is a good thing. At least, it allows compliance without as much of a hit in fuel consumption, and longer DPF life.

I do think VAG needs to do a better job of the fill spot, though. Someone dropped the ball on that.

oilhammer

TDI
I think that's because the Passat was switched to SCR late in its design cycle.
That's probably true, especially when you look at the way the components are arranged underneath.

Still, in this day and age of computers, with a company as GIANT as Volkswagen, you'd think it not take THAT much effort to change that. At the very least they could have made a spill tray in the trunk or something, I dunno...

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Mazda doesn't need it.
Mazda doesn't need it to pass emissions, but they would get better fuel economy if they had it (and they wouldn't have the oil dilution problems that people are reporting in Europe).

oilhammer

TDI
Mazda doesn't need it.
...and they don't yet have any diesel models in American showrooms, do they? The 6 diesel "is coming" we've heard for a couple years now. So, when they do get here, let's give them a couple years and see just how well and how long they do without SCR. Because I'm betting by the time they actually DO get one here, the stricter regulations will be in place and they'll require SCR or just drop the idea of selling one here altogether.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
What's going on here? Audi's website, in a press release dated Mar 26, says that the new A3 including the TDI will be out Q1 of 2014:
http://audiusanews.com/newsrelease....new-technologically-advanced-2015-audi&mid=16

But in the item posted today, the Diesel Driver says second Half of 2014, and only talks about VW models--no word on the Audi.

Are there engineering or marketing snags we haven't been told about?
It might be they way they are reporting the timeframe. The Audi website obviously says Q1 2014. Diesel driver says second half of 2014, but is that calendar year or model year. If it's model year, then the VW and Audi E288 egnies should show up at about the same time.

Chitown Drifter

TDI
MK7, soon I hope
Intercooler Design Change?

Any word yet whether the new engine will have the air-to-water intercooler associated with the hydrolock problem on the current Golf/Jetta TDI, or the air-to-water intercooler like the current Passat?

I'll be buying a new car within the next 24 months and the Mk7 TDI is at the top of my list, but the hydrolock issue really concerns me.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
A new air-to-water design (as opposed to the air-to-air used on the Golf/Jetta/Beetle/A3), integrated into the intake manifold (unlike the kludged in air-to-water setup on the Passat).

RNDDUDE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Any word yet whether the new engine will have the air-to-water intercooler associated with the hydrolock problem on the current Golf/Jetta TDI, or the air-to-water intercooler like the current Passat?

I'll be buying a new car within the next 24 months and the Mk7 TDI is at the top of my list, but the hydrolock issue really concerns me.

Details here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=345618

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I think that's because the Passat was switched to SCR late in its design cycle.
No, due to its weight, the Passat should have always been intended for SCR. I remember seeing some early design pictures that had the urea fill spout built into the fuel filler door. Someone must have decided that the consumer is too stupid and would either put urea in the diesel tube or the other way around.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
No, due to its weight, the Passat should have always been intended for SCR. I remember seeing some early design pictures that had the urea fill spout built into the fuel filler door. Someone must have decided that the consumer is too stupid and would either put urea in the diesel tube or the other way around.
I think you're right that having it in the fuel door would be too confusing for VW's target audience (the general public).