bassman5066

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2 Door TDI (sold back for Dieselgate), 91 Golf 4 Door with 1Z swap

bassman5066

Veteran Member
TDI
I emailed them for a price on the part. Ill post when I get a reply.
I googled the tool number and a snapon one came up on what looked like a vw dealer tool site. 58 bucks. Not too horrible and if you ever happen to get an Audi R8, you will need it for an oil change. :p

Unfortunately, I'm kind of broke right now so I'm gonna watch you guys experiment and try it myself when I can get the tool.

Sent from my Bosch Motronic ECM via VCDS Version 1.9LVE

Kevinski4

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
The quantity of fuel in the fuel rail is not the biggest problem. The fuel in the fuel rail is under considerable pressure (at least 10 BAR - about 150 psi) and maybe more. Opening the fuel rail (to relieve the pressure) must be done carefully to prevent damage and/or injury.

Have Fun!

Don
The volume is so small that that the pressure in the rail with the engine off isn't enough to hurt or damage anything. If you crack an injector line, you'll just get a small dribble of fuel. No spray, no pop, no nothing. I've done it more times than I can count.

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta CR140, 2010 Corvette Z06
Storx, have you heard anything from Mark?
I have not, not sure the reason as I try not to bug him to much, he has always taken personal interest in my build and the few times he didnt respond right away something was going on in his life prevrnting him to respond right away... im sure he will respond soon enough...

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
Just wanted to report some info as I have consumed 5 tanks of fuel with thr sensot unplugged... 4 of 5 I had an increase in mpg slightly... I beleive the 1 was due to all the logs I did consuming extra fuel. If I take the 1 tank out of the total. My averagr increase was 2.8mpg increase with it just unplugged...I am going to theory that this is because when the flappper is closed it sees slightly more boost pressure sooner during red light take off thus adding extra fuel...with it being unplugged the initial take off uses less fuel because of slight delay in boost onset...if you add all that up over a tank it makes sense... when I drove more on the highway the flapper being unplugged showed less gains vs the tanks where most of the tank was city driving....

mamock116

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI
Those are some impressive mpg #s for such a simple mod. I ordered that tool to remove the manifold and it should be in this Friday. Hopefully I can tackle this mod over the weekend.

robnitro

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI GLS silver
Increased boost but less flow will show less on MAF. In fact the pressure is higher because of the restriction.

With increased restriction, the fueling is more just because it takes more work to "pump air" as an engine is a glorified pump.

In a VE or PD try this: When revving at some rpm- 1500?, put full vacuum on the vnt, you see rpm drop. If you do it at idle, you won't get rpm drop, but fueling increase.
More restriction, whether in the intake or exhaust, makes the engine work harder.

I think these flaps are there to help cut down on NOx emissions by restricting fresh air?

Just wanted to report some info as I have consumed 5 tanks of fuel with thr sensot unplugged... 4 of 5 I had an increase in mpg slightly... I beleive the 1 was due to all the logs I did consuming extra fuel. If I take the 1 tank out of the total. My averagr increase was 2.8mpg increase with it just unplugged...I am going to theory that this is because when the flappper is closed it sees slightly more boost pressure sooner during red light take off thus adding extra fuel...with it being unplugged the initial take off uses less fuel because of slight delay in boost onset...if you add all that up over a tank it makes sense... when I drove more on the highway the flapper being unplugged showed less gains vs the tanks where most of the tank was city driving....

2STROKECORKY

Veteran Member
TDI
golf mk5 gt tdi 170
Increased boost but less flow will show less on MAF. In fact the pressure is higher because of the restriction.

With increased restriction, the fueling is more just because it takes more work to "pump air" as an engine is a glorified pump.

In a VE or PD try this: When revving at some rpm- 1500?, put full vacuum on the vnt, you see rpm drop. If you do it at idle, you won't get rpm drop, but fueling increase.
More restriction, whether in the intake or exhaust, makes the engine work harder.

I think these flaps are there to help cut down on NOx emissions by restricting fresh air?
You are correct with your theory.

Also removing them completely allong with the bar will reveal the extra mpg and torque.

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP

no, they are there to increase swirl, so decrease soot due to better mix of fuel and air.

to decrease NOx EGR is used.

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
Well with the flap motor unplugged and no change to tune i get much more soot on my back bumper vs when it was plugged in..

robnitro

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI GLS silver
Hmm, as they say it helps swirl which helps idle, low load.
Bumper soot accumulates more from low speed conditions, right?

I wonder if you can smell a difference in idle exhaust between flaps working and not.

mamock116

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI
I am unsure how your car has not thrown a CEL with the motor unplugged. I unplugged mine last week and I threw a CEL within 5 miles of driving. As far as having more soot, Ill take that as long as I get better mpg. Hopefully will do this mod this weekend. I have all my tools including that one I had to buy just to pull the manifold off.

Jet A

TDI
2009 Jetta
I am unsure how your car has not thrown a CEL with the motor unplugged. I unplugged mine last week and I threw a CEL within 5 miles of driving. As far as having more soot, Ill take that as long as I get better mpg. Hopefully will do this mod this weekend. I have all my tools including that one I had to buy just to pull the manifold off.
I unplugged mine to see if I would get a CEL. 2 days now of running around town and no CEL.

I would be cautious unplugging yours if you still have a DPF. More soot is NOT a good thing for a DPF. Perhaps the valves also reduce the soot load on the DPF? Just a thought.

mamock116

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI
I bet Malone disables the sensor or something. I have Revo and I got a CEL. Both you and Storx have Malone and yall dont get a CEL with it unplugged. I do mostly highway so soot build up is not really a concern for me. I rarely have the opportunity to interrupt a regen.

Cronus

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagon
I bet Malone disables the sensor or something. I have Revo and I got a CEL. Both you and Storx have Malone and yall dont get a CEL with it unplugged. I do mostly highway so soot build up is not really a concern for me. I rarely have the opportunity to interrupt a regen.
If Malone disables the sensor that means he disables the motor right? If that's the case the extra soot it produces when left open should be nothing the DPF can't handle.

I've had mine unplugged for 3 tanks now. On a stock tune and stock turbo I've noticed that I have a bit more torque between 2-3k rpm it's not much but it's definitely there. I've also noticed a 2-3 mpg increase. I'm actually amazed this worked at all let alone this well.

steve05ram360

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2D Golf
Extra soot is going to equal a shorter dpf life before it becomes plugged with ash... Didnt someone post a dyno earlier showing no improvement??

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
its there to reduce soot, and CO, maybe HC,

cars with SCR here in europe dont have it, why? they run maybe double engine out NOx, so much less EGR so much less engine out soot, therefore they can get away with it.

Jet A

TDI
2009 Jetta
If Malone disables the sensor that means he disables the motor right? If that's the case the extra soot it produces when left open should be nothing the DPF can't handle.

I've had mine unplugged for 3 tanks now. On a stock tune and stock turbo I've noticed that I have a bit more torque between 2-3k rpm it's not much but it's definitely there. I've also noticed a 2-3 mpg increase. I'm actually amazed this worked at all let alone this well.
I am fairly certain Storx confirmed Malone's tune does not disable or address the flapper.

My guess is the newly programmed ECU ignores the fault thrown when the flapper is unplugged. That would be the only explanation I could see.

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
I am fairly certain Storx confirmed Malone's tune does not disable or address the flapper.

My guess is the newly programmed ECU ignores the fault thrown when the flapper is unplugged. That would be the only explanation I could see.
idk and dont want to assume mark have to chime in on that answer, since i am in florida and the summer temps are rising.. i did notice the other day my EGT gauge was reading higher than normal when the temps were around 97 degrees out... with 100% humidly.... took a few logs and the temps were steady so out of intuition i plugged in the flapper motor and i noticed that my overall temps cruising was less by 80c with it plugged in

Jet A

TDI
2009 Jetta
idk and dont want to assume mark have to chime in on that answer, since i am in florida and the summer temps are rising.. i did notice the other day my EGT gauge was reading higher than normal when the temps were around 97 degrees out... with 100% humidly.... took a few logs and the temps were steady so out of intuition i plugged in the flapper motor and i noticed that my overall temps cruising was less by 80c with it plugged in
Thanks for the clarification.

Wow, 80c difference. Are you leaving your plugged in? Do you think the hotter EGT will cause excessive damage over the log term?

Thanks again!

bassman5066

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the clarification.

Wow, 80c difference. Are you leaving your plugged in? Do you think the hotter EGT will cause excessive damage over the log term?

Thanks again!
The rise in EGT is due to the higher soot load coming out of the turbo. It isn't bad for the engine or turbo itself, but I could see it cooking the DPF over time. Also, the increased soot output will cause higher soot load on the DPF, which creates higher back pressure, which will result in higher egts itself. On top of that, the higher soot load on the DPF will cause more frequent regens, which will expose the turbo and DPF to higher temps just from the regens.

Is it an issue? Not sure, but is it something to consider if you plan on keeping your DPF intact and functioning properly for the long haul.

Sent from my Bosch Motronic ECM via VCDS Version 1.9LVE