Land Rover Discovery II TDI swap.

Red_Liner740

TDI
none
Hi guys, i'd like to formerly introduce myself. I've been lurking here for a few weeks acting as an information sponge just sucking everything up! LOL.

Some background.

I always wanted an SUV, something thats good on gas and reliable with real offroad capability. SUV, good on gas and off road capability spell one thing. Diesel.

Other than a Suburban not many diesel SUVs are rolling along North American shores as opposed to the rest of the world.

I got my idea from seeing TDI's being swapped into 4runners and Tacomas....

but thats too easy , i had to go and make it harder

Always wanted a Discovery or a Defender diesel, since the days of Camel Trophy. The problem is that diesel Defenders are an arm and a leg, and honestly for farm equipment comfort, $30K is WAY too much money, no matter how you try and justify it. Importing a Discovery 300tdi would be the easier solution but what scared me away was not being able to see what the body is like, buying a truck sight unseen from across the world is kind of daunting.

If someone would to search their local kijiji or craiglist they would come across a plethora of cheap Discoveries, and i mean CHEAP. For less than 2 grand you can get a good condition truck with a blown motor. Yup, they ALL have engine issues, whether the owner is being honest and telling you or the issues havent arose yet the engine is a ticking time bomb.

Its actually mind boggling how crappy the 4.0 and later 4.6 V8 engines are. Basically they are buick all aluminum 3.5L V8 engines from the mid 1960's that Buick abandoned in the 80's. Land Rover decided that they know better and continued to plod along with it.

This is how bad it is, Head gaskets are a regular maintenance interval of 80K miles! Every single block casting is defective and the blocks WILL crack between the cylinders. The coolant passages are not up to spec causing cyl 6 or 8 to overheat and crack. The steel sleeves that are installed for the cylinder walls are incorrectly installed causing them to not sit properly from factory, when the cyl cracks this causes the sleeves to be able to move with the piston causing massive coolant loss into the cylinder chamber. This is called the sleeve drop.

Overheating the block is what usually causes all these issues but an overheating problem is rare? Not on a Disco, due to the use of Dexcool, a known coolant that is much more corrosive, the entire engine is bound to leak. Valve covers, water pumps, timing covers, head gaskets, intake valley are all well known and documented to spring leaks. This coupled with the fact that the stock temp guage is an idiot light that only moves once the engine has already over heated is the perfect storm of disaster.

Should i continue?

Its a shame that such an iconic and great offroaded that offers great road comfort and legendary offroad capability was only offered in North America with that crap engine.

So to cut it short the plan is to mate the ALH with a Toyota 4runner transmission and slap that into the Disco.

Custom motor mounts, tranny mounts, exhaust, coolant lines, PS lines etc etc will have to be fabricated as well as custom drive shafts with Discovery flanges on the axles and toyota flanges on the tranny side. One other big hurdle involved will be the emergency brake system. Land Rover uses an idiotic system of a brake DRUM, yes a DRUM, like on the back of older cars that sits bolted to the back of the transfer case and the cable actuates the brake shoes inside. Since i cant keep that, nor do i want to, i need to figure out how to retain my e-brake. Two solutions that i can try. instead of drum use a disc brake and a e-brake capable caliper and mount that to the back of the transfer case or swap the stock rear calipers with similar calipers that have e-brake capability. Havent decided on it yet, will have to see.

I purchased a 2000 Discovery II with a blown engine for $800. Frame had a bit of surface rust, actually very little for a 13 year old car, nothing some elbow grease wont be able to fix. Body has very little rust and all in easily fixed places. Salvaging the transmission and engine netted me $120 in scrap metal, another 250 for the two catalytics so the actual truck has cost me less than $500.

ALH donor vehicle was a 2000 Jetta 5spd i parted out. After selling the wheel, transmission and bits and pieces the Jetta is paying me to take its engine. :D

If you'd like to see all the pictures of the progress check here.

http://s1022.photobucket.com/user/Red_Liner740/library/Discovery%20TDI%20swap

The pictures have descriptions

Last edited:

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI Automatic, MKIV rear axle bushing install tools
And don't forget this company has been sold several times over the last decade or two.

So their value isn't going up at all.

It'll be curious to see how well this goes down the road when you're done.

You've got some serious work ahead of you.

I expect a lot of folks will be watching.

Red_Liner740

TDI
none
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIQMrak1XpI&feature=youtu.be

short video of me playing with the shifter.

So lets talk about the negatives of the swap.

Obviously the stock ALH has zero chance of providing enough grunt to haul this pig around. Shooting for around 150 hp and 300 torque...This would surpass what the Discoveries come with from factory with the 300tdi motor. That engine puts out aprox 115hp and 190 ft/lbs. Driveability should actually improve with the VNT turbo proving quicker spool up and flatter power band.

I'm by no means expecting a neck snapping acceleration monster, so my bar is set pretty low.

Discos come with a huge amount of electronics. in fact Disco 2's dont have a central locking differential or any other sort of diff locker. It relies on computer modulating the brakes to slow down the spinning wheels and transfer the torque to the wheel with traction. Most discoveries are rolling around with "three amigos" where the ABS, Traction control and Hill descent lights are lit up due to wheel sensors failing or brake modulators failing.

With the swap, i will loose the stability control permanently and ABS, but the R150F transmission comes with a manual shifter for 4L, 4H and 2L and central differential lock so thats good.

Disco II comes with a system called ACE or Active Cornering Enhancement and consists of hydraulic actuators on the sway bars that push up or pull down on the sway bar depending on which way the truck is cornering. This allows much flatter cornerning at highway speeds. Its actually a nifty system and i'm kind of sad to see it go, but without an additional ACE pump it wont work, also i'm not even sure if the electrical portion will work due to the engine missing.

Disco II comes with an SLS system in the back which consists of air bag suspension and a self leveling system that raises or lowers the back end of the truck. I've already bypassed the computer and will be installing a manual system that will allow me to raise and lower the air bags from the cabin.

ALH electronics and truck electronics.

I plan on leaving the ECU and Transmission controller in place to talk to SLABS (ECU for interior) and wire in the ALH as an almost totally separate system. As far as the VW ECU is concerned, its sitting in a really heavy Jetta, lol. I will install the stock VW cluster in place of the Land Rover one. Only crossover will be the ECU power and grounds.

Yes, i have a long road ahead of me, but i've given myself tons of time. Basically, no ETA, but it would be nice if it was in a running condition before winter hits.

Last edited:

Red_Liner740

TDI
none
The Discovery 2 is the last of the "rugged" offroad Land Rovers.

LR3, which is what the next gen Discovery is called. They actually did research and found that North American market favors letter/number designations better than full names, so they renamed Discovery III to LR3, and Discovery IV to LR4 etc etc.

Who owns the company at the present time, or the type of posh, asphalt land yachts LR makes now is of no importance to me.

The Discovery is the evolution of the Defender, designed to be just as rugged but have more creature comforts. Its offroad capability is just as good as Defenders

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
The bodywork isn't so much of an issue over here anyway, it's the chassis, they tend to rot away. But the I'm not sure the landy tdi engine is as good as the vw anyway. They tend to pop head gaskets amongst other things.

I hope your air bags don't pop, they're dam loud when they do lol. Just a rather large bang and the ass is sitting on the deck.

Conversions have been pretty popular over here, there's companies that make kits for just about any engine, they supply a bell house and mounts etc and they tell you which clutch and flywheel to use. I almost did it with an older 110, picked up an old mountain rescue job with the 2.5 petrol lump. Had another chassis for it too that I was going to get galvanised and then fit a 2.8 td from the isuzu. In the end though I decided I'm more of a car man.

LRTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 16 GSW... Just the LR diesel now
The Land Rover owner in me wants to yell at you for the misinformation about the V8. Lets start with the simple fact that it has nothing to do with 1980s. It was a 1960 engine that GM wanted to get rid off but Land Rover got it before Mercury Marine could.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rover_V8_engine

As for diesel, The Series II Discovery, never came with a 200 or 300tdi engine. It only came with the TD5 engine.

You might be better off using the MB 5 Cylinder diesel as used in the Sprinter van. There are already adapters out there for this proven combination to the drivetrain.

Head over to http://www.defendersource.com/forum/index.php for more information. You might be laughed at for putting a weakling engine into a D2, as you say, but change the engine to a proven formula, first time, is definitely recommended.

Red_Liner740

TDI
none
Who said it was a 1980's engine? Read again. i clerly said it was a 1960's design that Buick ABANDONED in 1980's but LR continued to use it. Started off with a 3.5L and kept upping the displacement with changes here and there. The blocks has remained pretty much the same other than additional webbing being cast in the cylinder valley to help keep the engine together.

I'm not wrong about anything but really dont feel like writing an entire novel about the intricacies of that POS. Did i embellish and generalize a bit? sure. Is the Rover V8 an incredible POS? You bet.

On all the LR forums i am on, 80% of Discovery 2 posts deal with engine break downs...fact.

Heres a link to a great book

scroll down to page 27 and it will give you statistical number on cracked blocks...a few pages before that it will empirically tell you WHY they all crack when they went from 3.5L to 3.9L and up. It also talks about Wildcats solution to slipped liners which the rest of the rebuilders have adopted, Flanged liners. The engines were junk when they left Land Rover and they continued to build them KNOWING these issues. In fact the cracking problem has been known and LR adopted ultrasonic measuring of blocks and consequent grading of blocks to mitigate these issues....guess which engine got the ****tiest blocks? the 4.0.

http://books.google.ca/books?id=gmS...&pg=PP1#v=onepage&q=arp stud kit rover&f=true

Discovery 2 DID come with 300TDI motors, the 99 year was when both the TD5 and the Disco 2 were introduced, some of the very first Disco2 rolled off the assembly line with latest generation of 300TDI that had some of the electronics incorporated that later on showed up on TD5.

Sprinter engines are good and dandy...now, how many electronic wiring write ups are out there for that engine? ALH is a known platform that has been transplanted numerous times into 4runners, the transplant i am basing my work on. Lastly like i mentioned, even a lightly breathed on ALH will wipe the floor of the stock LR diesel.

Last edited:

disco biscuit

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
I would agree the TDI is on the line of what would power a disco in stock form...a slightly modified one would be @160hp and over 350lbs of torque just for estimating purposes. I think it would push well especially off road. I'm into it. Look around for a suitable diesel swap what 4bdt or 5cyl Mercedes or whatever then look back how many tdis are on the road now.

Like I said I'll be watching in on it. I gotta say my 04 has 160k on it and has made it this far. Don't get me wrong its time, but I gotta say I haven't been disappointed. No doubt the rover is one of if not the most capable stock 4x4s. One of my concerns would be keeping the Traction Control.

Red_Liner740

TDI
none
You want me to swap in a 3.0L inline 5 cyl from the 80's that makes 110hp and that is somehow easier or better than a TDI?

Did you see the amount of custom work needed? the amount of work the oil sump pump needs? The custom one off adapter for the tranny? I then have to find a manual Land Rover transmission which are rare as hens teeth in N/A.

Okay here's the thing....If i came here asking for opinions on which diesel engine to swap in suggestions would be welcome. The fact that i'm elbow deep in the project, the engine is actually sitting in the bay and you're pissing all over it suggesting older, less refined, more expensive to retrofit engines is kind of insulting actually.

If i had an option a TD5 would be in there, after that an Isuzu diesel, after that a Toyota hilux diesel, but seeing as how TDI's are the most plentiful engines and we ARE on a VW TDI forum i dont know how pulling random engine ideas out of our asses is helping this discussion.

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
(Formerly) '11 Jetta 6 speed, Alltrack 6MT
Opinions are like a$%^@les, everyone's got one and they all stink :)
Personally, I like to look at swaps to see how people overcome obstacles, not to go down the coulda shoulda woulda road! Keep up the good work.

disco biscuit

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
Yeah let's get past all that. I would love this conversion and it sux to get too involved in all that. I own a car right now with a freakin TDI installed, sitting in my driveway. I can walk out and look at it. Not to mention, I'm going through the after you buy it I see these things everywhere now. I have vcds, common parts...etc..That's why it peaked my interest before I saw this thread. Just so happens here it is. Mumble on...etc...

Man I was wondering if you looked for a kit to keep the zf auto tranny. I like the transfer case too. I guess what I'm asking... is the tranny swap gonna work out in your console? And the disco has both differentials on the passenger side I'm also very fond of. Are you gonna be able to keep the axles. The e-brake is on the drivetrain with no other option....? Its a trans brake drum on the transfercase. Part of what makes my disco so good is the balance and suspension geometry. Wondering what parts of it might be lost. Would you care to ramble on with me over some of these points.

Last edited:

Reddok

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Jetta TDI 01M, '02 Jeep Liberty Renegade ALH TDI swap
Good to see you got a thread going. Looking forward to watching it progress. You curb weight is only about one or two passengers more than my Liberty so that should give you an idea of how well it will move with the TDI motor. I'm betting it will be faster than stock and twice as fuel efficient.

Whitbread

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Several
You'll love it man! A pepped up tdi is a surprising monster. Do yourself a major favor and upgrade the turbo. nozzles, pump, and tune now. You can go broke trying to be cheap.

Get a MAF, EGR, and IMMO delete tune for standalone operation with a 4 bar map. Can eliminate all the factory chassis modules with no faults this way. TD Tuning is my recommendation.
11 mm pump (if you didn't use an engine out of an auto car, didn't notice if you ever said)
race 520 nozzles
arp head studs
4 bar map sensor
intercooler (which you should be doing no matter what turbo you run anyway)
1756vk turbo with passat manifold. Cheaper than a 17/22 and far better performance.

That little recipe will get you a smokeless 200-210whp/320-340wtq in a jetta with egt's never breaking 1350F. That would make the disco scoot for sure.

Red_Liner740

TDI
none
In regards to the ZF Auto tranny....no idea, i'm sure an adapter can be whipped up, thing is, i dont know how the tranny ecu will operate with no computer ECU. In the LR they communicate, and a lot!! possibly going to an older automatic with no ECU could work? It was not something i spent a lot of time thinking about as the manual was always 100% going to be in the picture.

Like i mentioned, ACE, Hill descent, traction control will be lost. Think of this swap as a Discovery I in Disco II body. I'd have preferred a Disco I but good bodied ones are harder to find and their engines grenade less.

SLS system will be converted to manual control, but i'd have done that anyways.

Axles, suspension etc will remain the same. Only difference is i will be installing a front axle 4 bolt input flange on the rear axle where the 3 bolt unit for the donut used to be. They are 100% interchangeable as the front and rear axles are the same.

The e-brake system is a head stumper for sure. I definitively cannot retain the stock drum brake system on the differential. Two ways i could do this...

one is to copy this https://www.allprooffroad.com/8489brakeupgrades/33

I'd buy that but unfortunately they dont offer R150F kits. An el cheapo kit consisting of a car rear caliper and hanger mounted on a custom made bracket off the back of the transfer case.

Other option is to swap Land Rover rear calipers with similar calipers off another truck that has ebrake system already on it. Run cables to the stock cable and presto....havent decided on this yet.

I'd like to thank Reddock on allowing me to drool over his Liberty TDI swap, riding in it with a mild tune made me realize that the little ALH has plenty of balls to move these behemoths around. His amazing MPG was also an encouragement.

BTW, this swap has been in the progress for about two months now between yanking the Rover heart, parting out the Jetta etc etc, i didnt want to post anything until i was sure that the ALH would fit in there...

regarding the upgrades, oh definitively, a turbo swap, injectors etc etc are in the works, but for now i just want to fire it up. Taking away as many variable during the wiring and first startup is my primary goal, i'd hate to sit there and think "hmm, is it the new injectors? etc etc"

Yeah let's get past all that. I would love this conversion and it sux to get too involved in all that. I own a car right now with a freakin TDI installed, sitting in my driveway. I can walk out and look at it. Not to mention, I'm going through the after you buy it I see these things everywhere now. I have vcds, common parts...etc..That's why it peaked my interest before I saw this thread. Just so happens here it is. Mumble on...etc...

Man I was wondering if you looked for a kit to keep the zf auto tranny. I like the transfer case too. I guess what I'm asking... is the tranny swap gonna work out in your console? And the disco has both differentials on the passenger side I'm also very fond of. Are you gonna be able to keep the axles. The e-brake is on the drivetrain with no other option....? Its a trans brake drum on the transfercase. Part of what makes my disco so good is the balance and suspension geometry. Wondering what parts of it might be lost. Would you care to ramble on with me over some of these points.

Reddok

Veteran Member
TDI
Like i mentioned, ACE, Hill descent, traction control will be lost.
Any chance of using an ECU from a MT Disco II and spoofing the sensor inputs to make it think there is a running Disco engine in there? It would be cool to keep the TC and hill descent.

Reddok

Veteran Member
TDI
Easy solution for an e-brake would be to use a line lock like the drag cars use. You can get a mechanical one instead of electric. But the best option would be to add a transfer case brake.

Whitbread

TDI
Several
Ok, I was all sold on the benefits of a 17/22. Why is the 1756 better? And why the passat manifold?
The GTB1756vk is a third gen vnt assembly so it spools extremely well for a turbo of it's size and has a much better compressor wheel than then 17/22, you can run up to 32-34 psi on it. A 1756vk won't surge at low rpm's like a 1722 will, will flow about 210 smokeless whp, and have lower egt's than a 1722 will. A 1722 at anything over 180hp is always smokey on top. I've yet to see a 1722 prove me otherwise.

The passat manifold and adapter plate make mounting the turbo stupid easy and cheap. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=3627402&postcount=24

See here for dyno curves on a stock internal alh. Peak tq at 2200rpm and 205hp at 4750rpm. Show me a 17/22 dyno that flat and wide that is surge and smoke free on the street. Lurch's car peaks at 1300F egt's. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=349101

Last edited:

Dsmart

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Wagon
Ordering a complete TD5 conversion for your Discovery 2 would be cheaper and take a lot less time than what you are currently undertaking. The results with the TD5 would be deadnuts reliable vs the mismatch of parts you are going to need to get the TDI truck running.

Im really not trying to hate on your conversion as im fellow diesel swapper myself...I love people pushing the boundaries and building the type of vehicle that we just aren't allowed to own on this continent. I may also be biased as I want someone to do a TD5 conversion!! Seriously though its a tall order to ask an ALH to haul around even an empty Discovery. You'd be better off jacking up a Jetta wagon.

Reddok

Veteran Member
TDI
Seriously though its a tall order to ask an ALH to haul around even an empty Discovery.
The ALH is more than capable. With injectors and a tune, it puts out more than enough power to move my 4200lb Jeep around. So much power that I have no problem climbing hills at 120kph in 6th gear while pulling a 3000lb trailer. And I still got 30mpg over my 650km trip. :D

Red_Liner740

TDI
none
Any chance of using an ECU from a MT Disco II and spoofing the sensor inputs to make it think there is a running Disco engine in there? It would be cool to keep the TC and hill descent.
Possibly. Find a manual discovery and we can discuss it further. Lol.

Red_Liner740

TDI
none
Maybe you know something I don't but a td5 swap including transmission is north of 5g's IF you can find one. Time wise def longer, but time I have. mismatch of parts. Again. This combination of parts have been put together dozens of times before with hundreds of miles with no issues. How reliable is the td5 going to be when I can't get any replacement parts for it locally?

I've ridden in a swapped liberty with a mildly tuned alh and it moved just fine. 200tdi, 300tdi and td5 all put out around 120hp. How is it that they can haul a disco around but an alh putting out 150whp can't?

Also please don't EVER compare a jacked jetta to a discovery in turns of off road capability. How can I take any of your comments seriously after such a suggestion!?

The pushback I'm seeing here is really making me take the topic down. It's like I offended someone cuz I dared put a small diesel into a truck.

Ordering a complete TD5 conversion for your Discovery 2 would be cheaper and take a lot less time than what you are currently undertaking. The results with the TD5 would be deadnuts reliable vs the mismatch of parts you are going to need to get the TDI truck running.

Im really not trying to hate on your conversion as im fellow diesel swapper myself...I love people pushing the boundaries and building the type of vehicle that we just aren't allowed to own on this continent. I may also be biased as I want someone to do a TD5 conversion!! Seriously though its a tall order to ask an ALH to haul around even an empty Discovery. You'd be better off jacking up a Jetta wagon.

Whitbread

TDI
Several
The pushback I'm seeing here is really making me take the topic down. It's like I offended someone cuz I dared put a small diesel into a truck.
Such an act would be a crime! I'm all for TDI swaps into larger vehicles. A good friend has a syncro doka with an ahu in it, can't wait to wake that thing up. It just has a tune now and is a pooooch. Talked him into a 200hp/350tq recipe.

I just happen to like power :D. 200hp and 340lf/ft are easily attainable with bolt ons, 250/400 is doable if you put rods in. The chassis doesn't care whether those numbers come from a v8 or a 4 cylinder.

My eventual project is a tdi tube buggy with an alh and yota drivetrain on 37's.

Don't hesitate to shout my way if you ever have any tdi questions.

Last edited:

disco biscuit

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
I think after reading the build on the liberty there. Obviously the yota tranny was a good pick. Kudos. I really would like to put my TC on maybe the yota tranny I guess...mine has the locker... but I'll quit derailing.

I don't believe all the engine choice bashing helps you now either as it is too late. Plus its a crap argument. The TDI may not beat the 4bdt in some regards but my stock CR TDI is 130hp and 225lb of tq. That by itself would do OK with a standard tranny. ...etc. The TD5 is like trying to put a chunk of gold in there. Shipped from overseas..then all the crap for it shipped from there to.

How many electric components have to be kept to control the windows and sunroofs are gonna be tough. Are you on any LR forums? PT Schram sounded like he did more different things with LR engines at least.

Last edited:

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
You'll love it man! A pepped up tdi is a surprising monster. Do yourself a major favor and upgrade the turbo. nozzles, pump, and tune now. You can go broke trying to be cheap.

Get a MAF, EGR, and IMMO delete tune for standalone operation with a 4 bar map. Can eliminate all the factory chassis modules with no faults this way. TD Tuning is my recommendation.
11 mm pump (if you didn't use an engine out of an auto car, didn't notice if you ever said)
race 520 nozzles
arp head studs
4 bar map sensor
intercooler (which you should be doing no matter what turbo you run anyway)
1756vk turbo with passat manifold. Cheaper than a 17/22 and far better performance.

That little recipe will get you a smokeless 200-210whp/320-340wtq in a jetta with egt's never breaking 1350F. That would make the disco scoot for sure.

Love it! Keep at him till he cracks! That would make a far more epic disco for sure! :D

Reddok

Veteran Member
TDI
Possibly. Find a manual discovery and we can discuss it further. Lol.
So do they not make one? Wikipedia says it was available. You only need the ecu. Shipping one from overseas wouldn't be bad. But maybe you just need to flash the ecu with a MT .bin file. Just throwing some ideas out there. :)

Don't let the haters get you down. Look at my thread. Lots of people didn't think it would work well. I got my swap done for $4000 and it does work well. And $800 of my swap was the expensive Liberty CRD rad and intercooler setup. So it can be done for a lot less than the "traditional" diesel swaps.