splitting hairs- state your minor dislikes about the passat.

irishrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat 6M
Basically VW doesn't believe us stupid drivers can handle real numbers fluctuating, and just wants to make us feel good...

Fahrvergnügen

That's what VW wants us "stupid" drivers to say as we drive down the road with our temp gauge fixed straight up and down and our regen "fans" humming mightily along

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Basically VW doesn't believe us stupid drivers can handle real numbers fluctuating, and just wants to make us feel good...
VW and everyone else. I can't think of a single manufacturer that doesn't use buffered gauges these days.

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
Too easy!

It's all in the engineering and the bean counters. When there was no ECU and no software, then analog gauges were logical. GM actually started the domestic trend long about 1960 as they removed gauges and replaced them with idiot lights. This sort of got us inoculated into the no gauge mode.

Today we've moved to a computer far more powerful than was used to land the Lunar Rover. Sensors are everywhere and software determines just about everything from the moment your key fob comes within range of the car. Actually it's more correct to just say that the ECU runs the show 24/7.

So to gauges... Since the ECU runs the show and since placing those pesky analog units would be expensive, and since a majority of drivers haven't a clue as to the meaning of anything except maybe the fuel gauge, true analog gauges make absolutely no sense today.

So what to do? Gauges give a certain feel to the vehicle, don't they? So the manufacturer elects to keep a couple there pretty much for show. Truth be told we could dispense with every gauge in the car and replace them with a simple display. Maybe only a fuel warning at a quarter tank and odometer. Other than that the ECU would manage everything... Which it does anyway.

The solution? Simply place a nice gauge on the dash. Have the ECU control the gauge because it's easy and cheap... AND IT DOESN'T MATTER ANYWAY. Owner is happy because the gauge looks nice. Owner is mostly unaware that the gauge doesn't matter and is probably unaware of what it would indicate if it really meant anything. And our little ECU chugs happily along doing what it's programmed to do irrespective of anything else.

All is good!:D Quit your complaining!:rolleyes:

BPofMD

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE
Can you IMAGINE what would happened if VW (and all the other auto manufacturers) started installing REAL gauges in vehicles??? WOW! The dealers would be so busy explaining what the customers are complaining about those with REAL problems wouldn't have a chance!

Vehicle manufacturers were so good at making their customers "idiots" that REAL information would overwhelm most everyone!!!!

ben2mx

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE
Door thump noise

I've posted a thread about the dashboard and door issue but I will post it again. In answer to this thread, every time I go over a "manhole" going at least 50 mph the driver's door makes a noise as if a heavy item was loose inside the door.

Also, the transmission (DSG) when it is cold (not sure if it still happens when at working temperature) if you are at low speed barely taking off the driveway going forward but suddenly let go of the gas it makes a small transmission related noise. Makes me wonder if I need to let go of the gas not so abruptly when the car is cold, right before I am about to brake.

I have no problem dealing with these noises if I only knew the cause and that they were not causing any damage. In my mind I would discard them as part of the show, but if they are things that need to be addressed by me, or the dealer or the manufacturer then I (or we) must do something about it.

That is why I joined this forum, to be able to maintain my vehicle in excellent shape with the feedback of everyone. I promise to post the solution to this problems once I find out (with pics!).

Thank you guys.

PaulB

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE M6
There might well be something loose inside your door. I just dealt with a loose compass sensor inside my trunk lid.

The solution? Simply place a nice gauge on the dash. Have the ECU control the gauge because it's easy and cheap... AND IT DOESN'T MATTER ANYWAY.
Is this an example of Germans looking down their noses at stupid Americans, or is this crap going on in the B7's as well?

I don't like being treated like an idiot even if it makes sense to the VW bean-counters. Treat people like idiots enough, eventually they start acting like idiots.

Clearly the ECU knows what the real temp is, and the ECU controls the guage, so please, hackers, let's get a fix to tell the guage to stop lying. Can you figure out how to do it?

PaulB

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE M6
I imagine this conversation with a dealer:

Me: "What's this guage for?"

Dealer: "It tells you the temperature of your engine."

Me: "So... does it do that?"

Dealer: "Yes."

Me: "It always tells me exactly what the engine temp is?"

Dealer: "Well... sort of."

Me: "What is this 'sort of'? It either does, or it doesn't."

Dealer, looking evasive: "Well, it's just approximate."

Me: "So, how far can it be off, anyway? If I am relying on a guage I like to know how much slop is in it. I'm an engineer, just a thing for me."

Dealer: "Let me pass you on to a customer service rep."

Me: "Isn't that what you are? I'm just asking a simple question about a simple guage."

Dealer: "Er, can I interest you in a new model, while I get back to you on that question? I have to make a phone call."

Somehow I think it would be easier if the guage just reported the temperature. I don't think dealers actually got a lot of questions about it before there were ECUs. I think the manufacturers just outsmarted themselves.

Oh, and I don't like euphemism; I prefer plain talk. They are not "buffered guages". They are lying guages.

Last edited:

banshee365

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta
I imagine this conversation with a dealer:

Me: "What's this guage for?"

Dealer: "It tells you the temperature of your engine."

Me: "So... does it do that?"

Dealer: "Yes."

Me: "It always tells me exactly what the engine temp is?"

Dealer: "Well... sort of."

Me: "What is this 'sort of'? It either does, or it doesn't."

Dealer, looking evasive: "Well, it's just approximate."

Me: "So, how far can it be off, anyway? If I am relying on a guage I like to know how much slop is in it. I'm an engineer, just a thing for me."

Dealer: "Let me pass you on to a customer service rep."

Me: "Isn't that what you are? I'm just asking a simple question about a simple guage."

Dealer: "Er, can I interest you in a new model, while I get back to you on that question? I have to make a phone call."

Somehow I think it would be easier if the guage just reported the temperature. I don't think dealers actually got a lot of questions about it before there were ECUs. I think the manufacturers just outsmarted themselves.

Oh, and I don't like euphemism; I prefer plain talk. They are not "buffered guages". They are lying guages.
You're part of the 0.1% that wants true reading gauges. VW will not build a car around that. If you want gauges that read actual temps/pressures get a Scangauge II.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
You're part of the 0.1% that wants true reading gauges. VW will not build a car around that. If you want gauges that read actual temps/pressures get a Scangauge II.
This. I am also part of that 0.1% (or whatever it is) and I installed a ScanGauge.

In the older cars, you can hack the cluster to remove the buffer. You can probably do that on these cars, but we haven't made it that far yet.

My feeling on the matter is that you need a ScanGauge anyway to monitor EGTs, so worrying about the coolant gauge is a non-issue. The ScanGauge is truth and the truth shall set you free! ;)

PaulB

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE M6
You're part of the 0.1% that wants true reading gauges.
Ah, so 99.9% of the population has expressed a preference for lying guages. OK, I will shut up now. :)

My feeling on the matter is that you need a ScanGauge anyway to monitor EGTs, so worrying about the coolant gauge is a non-issue.
On second thought, I won't shut up. Running engine temps in your scan guage is like having two clocks in the car, one set a half-hour behind the more accurate one. Yeah, you can leave it like that, but somehow it makes me uneasy. Maybe in time I will come to accept it, like I accepted it when my rear window stopped working in my old B4.

I can understand and accept the notion of inaccuracy due to tolerances and cost savings, but I just can't get used to lying intentionally or living with that. But that's just a personal quirk I suppose.

Last edited:

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Ask yourself this, if you had a real gauge that was 100% accurate and read 190 degrees 90% of the time would you worry if it was cold out and said 170 or really hot out and read 210?

What would someone else think that knows nothing. Engineering for the lowest common denominator in customer knowledge, that's all it is, it isn't for cost savings or to lie to you.

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
Ah, so 99.9% of the population has expressed a preference for lying guages. OK, I will shut up now. :)

On second thought, I won't shut up. Running engine temps in your scan guage is like having two clocks in the car, one set a half-hour behind the more accurate one. Yeah, you can leave it like that, but somehow it makes me uneasy. Maybe in time I will come to accept it, like I accepted it when my rear window stopped working in my old B4.

I can understand and accept the notion of inaccuracy due to tolerances and cost savings, but I just can't get used to lying intentionally or living with that. But that's just a personal quirk I suppose.
The passat has 3 clocks :D

Last edited:

bor2run

TDI
2012 Passat SE TDI 6m
Passenger Seat

My wife hates the front passenger seat, she said it was very uncomfortable and would hate to take a long trip with this car. Does anybody have a solution?

Palouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE/sunroof, DSG
My wife hates the front passenger seat, she said it was very uncomfortable and would hate to take a long trip with this car. Does anybody have a solution?
Has she tried adjusting the seat every which way? My wife, about 5'5" likes sit lower to the floor and with he seat moved forward so her short legs have something to rest on. When she drives she likes the seat much higher and much closer to the front. Works like a charm, except for me when we have to trade seats--should have gotten memory seats :)

Palouse

Veteran Member
TDI
The passat has 3 clocks :D
Ah, but you can turn off the one in the radio and then you have 2! We have the one in front of the driver set to 24 hour, which I prefer, and the analog in the center, which my wife prefers--and we maintain marital bliss :D Thank you VW!

PaulB

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE M6
Engineering for the lowest common denominator in customer knowledge, that's all it is, it isn't for cost savings or to lie to you.
Ah, they are lying to me for my own good. That makes me feel much better.

Or they are lying to me for their own good. That also makes me feel better.

But the problem with lying is that eventually it comes back to you. Your reputation suffers.

In my eyes, VW's reputation has suffered. Maybe they don't care. Strange way to run a company.

Oh, "Everybody does it." That's another fine excuse for poor behavior.

I'd rather have an honest idiot light than a lying guage. I am tempted to install my scan guage, then put some black tape over the OEM guage and take a picture of that and send it to VW. Let 'em know what I think.

It bugs me that they do this, and it bugs me that people don't mind and make excuses for it. I guess dumbing down drivers is really the way of the world, though. Now I know why this car has a "hill-hold" when the E-brake is so easily to hand. :rolleyes:

There is this thing called a user manual. It's an amazing concept. You can do things in it, like tell people how temp guages work, and how to use an E-brake to get started on a hill. Inform them rather than compensate for their shortcomings. But then I guess putting stuff like that in it would get in the way of all the lawyer warnings.

You younger guys should try to imagine how the world was like before lawyers ran everything. People were assumed to be competent, and if they screwed up it was their lookout. Life was not like living in the kindergarten for adults we have today. Being treated like an adult, I tell you it is addictive. One grows to really like it.

Try taking a plush towel and folding it a couple of times and sitting on that. A cheap sheepskin. Seems to help for me...

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Yo...PaulB...put the soapbox in the closet and try some decaf. You're repeating yourself...redundantly...again...:p

Palouse

Veteran Member
TDI
Yo...PaulB...put the soapbox in the closet and try some decaf. You're repeating yourself...redundantly...again...:p
LOL! Yeah, dude, ease up, or you'll start sounding like a West Coast version of phlfly :D;):rolleyes:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Paul is right on the money with his observations... it's sad but true fact of the world we live in today. Not making excuses, just trying to come to peace with it.

Remove the warning stickers from everything and let Darwin have his way! :D

Palouse

Veteran Member
TDI
Paul is right on the money with his observations... it's sad but true fact of the world we live in today. Not making excuses, just trying to come to peace with it.

Remove the warning stickers from everything and let Darwin have his way! :D
Hmmm- start with those pesky tags on mattresses and pillows! Someday delivery rooms will start tattooing newborns with "Caution, living can be hazardous to life!"

We see this submission to the lowest common denominator in so much of modern life, for example, school standards, so we can raise graduation rates; or college entrance requirements. Our measures of success are set at 50.01%! :confused:

OK, back to my coffee!

garment69

TDI
2013 Passat SEL w/DSG
I would say this qualifies as nitpicking but the door open points are annoying. Meaning, when I open the door to get out, I have to consciously push with a specific amount of strength or the door will not stay open but swing back to close, catching my leg on the door sill. Make sense?

Other than that, love everything about the car.

Sigforty

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat w/DSG
I would say this qualifies as nitpicking but the door open points are annoying. Meaning, when I open the door to get out, I have to consciously push with a specific amount of strength or the door will not stay open but swing back to close, catching my leg on the door sill. Make sense?

Other than that, love everything about the car.
I have the same issue with the doors. The only two things I would add are the rear defrosters is very slow and it defrosts the sides before it gets to the middle of the back glass. Secondly, the wipers on their highest setting are slow compared to my Chevrolet's.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
So I've made an attempt to fix some of these things and found another couple. Still struggling to find any kind of feeling for this car :eek:

Oh, the list is long already. I really want to like the car, but some of these issues are really frustrating - mostly compared to my 03 MkIV Jetta GL

1) Lumbar in seat is too low - it should be in the small of your back, not below the belt line at my hips
2) Head rest too tall and does not adjust front/back like the MkIV ones do.
3) Steering Wheel is off center (knew about this one ahead of time)
4) 160 MPH speedometer is silly - 140 is silly, 120 is plenty and give more resolution on the display
5) Can't see the odometer when the cruise control is on
6) Steering wheel does not telescope out far enough - needs another 2+ inches length
7) Shifter too far away - have to reach for R, 1, 3, 6 gears and too sloppy - frequently going into wrong gears Looking at DieselGeek Short Shifter
8) Door armrest too far away, have to reach for steering wheel (would be solved by 6 above)
9) Steering wheel has spoke at 6:00 position - no place to rest hand comfortably on longer drives Is there a 4 spoke wheel available where the steering wheel buttons still work?
10) Not clear if a door is unlocked or not. No plunger that goes up/down, no rocker, no indicator - you just have to guess if it's unlocked or not. The VCDS modifications to get the doors to unlock when you pull the key out don't seem to work on SE models (at least at this point)
11) Center console too wide/tall - hurts my right shin after 10 minutes, can't find comfortable seating position 3/4" Thick Foam Adhesive strips have helped this quite a bit
12) Pedals are too close together and I keep clicking my heals every time I clutch
13) Clutch engagement too long - at least 2/3 of the pedal travel
14) 12v accessory outlets turn off when key is off
15) Radio too darn complicated to use Half gave up on this and listen to mp3's because I can't "seek" radio stations when traveling without pressing 4 buttons
16) ASR/EDL/Traction Control BS way too intrusive. Just give me ABS and leave the rest of it to me. Seems to be the Chinese B7 button - need to follow up on this
17) No tow hooks or recovery attachment locations
18) Rear seat fold down has to be accessed from the trunk - *** is up with this completely stupid idea?
19) Radio screen too bright at night
20) Very non linear power delivery. Engage the clutch and it pulls hard then just stops pulling all together, have to apply more throttle to maintain constant acceleration.
21) A USB port in the dash or console would be convenient
22) Bluetooth speaker phone sounds like crap - will keep using my blue parrot headset
23) Turning the temperature dial all the way cold automatically turns on the A/C with re-circulate
24) Rearview mirror does not automatically dim much at all - just turns the lights behind bright green instead of bright white. Rearview mirror does not dim at all now - will bring up with dealer at 30 day checkup
25) Exterior rearview mirror's need the curved outer portion for blind spot visibility like on the MkIV Euro Mirrors
26) Generally loose feeling compared to my Jetta (FSD's, RSB, Beef Springs)
27) Misfueling preventer - Another really bad idea. I've heard it's removable, but have not dug into it to figure out how yet
28) Bright lights are not much brighter than the dim ones
29) Stumble at 1000-1200 RPM when cold
30) Owners manual is difficult to read - it does not flow and has no continuity or general specifications (engine, fluid capacities, wheelbase, tire sizes, etc) in one place.
31) No actual "Tilt" steering wheel (my MkIV does not have this either). A steering wheel that goes up/down 2" is not a "Tilt" wheel.
32) Weird "Click" noise after every shift when re-engaging the clutch
33) Some new bumps/rattles after only 200 miles
34) Engine has been getting louder - more diesel knock - since new (only has 700 miles on it so far) This continues to get worse and worse - sometimes it sounds like my ALH!
35) Horn does not work unless you push on the sides of the steering wheel - I almost was in an accident because I couldn't honk the horn
36) Radio turns off as soon as key is turned off instead of staying on until key is removed from lock cylinder - VCDS solution to this does not work on SE models (yet)
37)
38)

I'm sure there's more (and I know I'm being critical), but am frustrated that I've come up with so many things in such a short time in a car that I really want to like.

Ultimately, I want my MkIV drivers station in my NMS sedan which would take care of many of the above issues.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
I know, but if I want to listen to the end of a song, news broadcast, etc, I have to leave the engine run. If I turn it off, it interrupts the radio, then I have to wait for it to turn back on again, etc. Not a huge deal, but an annoying nuisance.

BPofMD

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE
" #10. Not clear if a door is unlocked or not. No plunger that goes up/down, no rocker, no indicator - you just have to guess if it's unlocked or not." The VCDS modifications to get the doors to unlock when you pull the key out don't seem to work on SE models (at least at this point)"

My doors all unlock when I turn my ignition off.... I have a '12 SE.

Last edited:

garment69

TDI
2013 Passat SEL w/DSG
Not clear if a door is unlocked or not. No plunger that goes up/down, no rocker, no indicator - you just have to guess if it's unlocked or not. The VCDS modifications to get the doors to unlock when you pull the key out don't seem to work on SE models (at least at this point)

My doors all unlock when I turn my ignition off.... I have a '12 SE.

Dont you have the indicator on the driver side door, by the lever?

BPofMD

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE
I MIGHT have - a friend turned on (and off) some things not long after I bought the car. Can't remember about the door locks.