My first scan... and ***?

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta (6MT) - 1000 Mile Club (retired)___ 2015 Jetta SEL (6MT)
Ok got my micro-CAN in today and decided to run my initial scan. Everything ran good, until I started looking through the results.

Address 19: CAN Gateway (J533) Labels: 6N0-909-901-6R.clb
Part No SW: 6N0 909 901 HW: 5C0 937 087 A
Component: GW-K-CAN TP20 H66 0256
Revision: B2066001
Coding: 102200
Shop #: WSC 00066 000 00000
VCID: F0C1B00F23F55D9851C
1 Fault Found:
00470 - Combination comfort Databus in Single Wire
012 - Electrical Fault in Circuit
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01101100
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 224
Reset counter: 214
Mileage: 22723 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2005.14.29
Time: 23:28:59

Now this has been in the system since about 14K, and has been back to the dealer for both the 20K and 30K service. Nothing said, nothing done, and it's a high priority fault.

Needless to say I'm still within my 36K warranty (luckily) so Monday that puppy is going to the dealer unless someone can tell me this isn't really an issue.

If it had happened once or twice I would be less concerned but this fault has come up 224 times. Clearly it's not a rare event and doesn't seem like it will just go away if I clear it. Which I'm not doing until the dealer looks at it.

So any thoughts? Possible causes? Concerns? Cautions?

PS - Looks like my micro-CAN may have already paid for itself if this keeps me from having a big repair bill because it wasn't done under warranty.

Last edited:

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
How do you explain this?

Date: 2005.14.29
Dates and/or times in the modules are often all over the place and is a known event.

From Ross-Tech VCDC manual:

"Keep in mind that many control modules are not aware of the actual date and time, so they may display bogus dates, just as they do with the factory scan tools. "

Last edited:

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
Apparently one of the two redundant data communication wires has a hard fault. The fault frequency is increasing with each trip of the car. Dealer has confirmed the fault exists whether it's warranty or through my insurance company (tree damage) is all that remains to be determined. Will drop it off on Tuesday and don't expect it back until at least Thursday.

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
Update: Dealership finally figured out the problem.

It's the RADIO....

Apparently the signal goes in....but nothing comes back out on that line.

They swapped it out with one from a car on the lot and *poof* problem went away.
So they are ordering a replacement. I will monitor it closely after they install it for the rest of my warranty. I can now say my micro-can has paid for itself 100% with this one issue. Techs actively working on the car for 4 days....replacement wire installed....new RNS-315 nav radio, 3-4 days of rental car (loaner). Total price if I were paying for it, north of $2,000.

Going to have a bit to say on the follow up review on how it was NOT found during the scan on the 20K and 30K services. I may even say something about the rather nasty initial attitude of the service rep who seemed to feel that scanning the car outside the dealership was offensive or at least that's what his tone of voice seemed to indicate. However, on the other hand, he's done right by me since so I may let that slide as a momentary lapse. The fact that the service didn't uncover it...is troubling to me.

PS thanks for the input Sebastian. Luckily the car is still in warranty (barely) and so was covered. If it had gotten out of warranty, then things could have gotten ugly.

Last edited:

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
...and here I thought the radio was running on CAN-Infotainment and NOT on CAN-Comfort... ;)

Would be nice to have seen the full scan by the way.
I can post it, but other than the initial information, there is nothing in the detailed info that adds anything since everything else passed with no faults.

I can post more I just didn't see the point.

If you still want it let me know.

Sebastian

Vendor
An Auto-Scan (even without any codes) tells us a lot about the car itself, besides the obvious year, make, model etc. it shows us which modules/options are installed and how control modules are coded as well as which firmware version they are running. Sure, it isn't necessary to have the information for each and every question you guys may have and yet it certainly helps us to clarify a lot. For example having that detail might allow to check if your RNS really is connected to CAN-Comfort or not. :)

BTW: I'll be out of office for a week, so in case you do post the scan don't get mad if I don't get back to you immediately. :)

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Error codes that don't throw a CEL seem to get ignored as the customer typically won't complain as they don't know anything. VCDS changes that scenario.

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
Yep, then this is all said and done, I'm planning to write a little letter to VW asking them why a priority 2 CAN fault would not throw a CEL. Seems to me anything where immediate attention is recommended should throw a CEL.

Without VCDS, I would have been up the proverbial creek, and the service rep has already told me that if it hadn't been fixed within the 36K it wouldn't have been covered under warranty. That's assuming he knows what he's talking about.

However, it seems like, at the least, it could have be been more of a fight than simply dropping it off and telling them 'fix it'.

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Probably the only things that throw a cel are mandated by the government. Everything else is just for their use and diagnostics..

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I think almost every car will have a DTC or 2 in memory. By design, the only things that will turn on the CEL are emission related.

Ya, so the tech was pissed because he had to fix something most folks would not even know about because no CEL was set. Really, how dare you even monitor the condition of your car? Are you one of those lunatics from the TDI Club or what?:D

Last edited:

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
LOL...Except that he was a service rep instead of a tech, and it was more like accusatory shock than being pissed, otherwise that pretty much captures it.

Of course, in all fairness once the techs did confirm the fault and it's severity he had done a 180 and I had no complaints. I think it was just the shock that a customer would scan their own nearly new car. To be honest, if it weren't to capture and save the initial coding settings, I probably would never have thought to do so. However, I learned a long time ago....backup, backup, backup before you start changing things.

Last edited:

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
I scanned a '12 Jetta that a co-worker had just bought "CPO", extra bucks for extra pre-sale attention. It was only at 19k miles, and still under the dealer warranty.

There were 14 codes on that car (none of a priority to cause a CEL), most were probably due to a battery swap or low voltage condition, and would probably clear and stay clear. But there were several that could cost money to fix, including some communication issues.

I printed out the auto-scan for her to take back to the salesman and dealer.

I also educated her on ensuring the dealer used the proper oil at her 20 and 30k oil changes.

I found two codes on my wife's 2010 on the lot before accepting delivery (back in Dec '09), and gave the salesman that printout. Neither code ever returned.

My wife's sister's 2013 Passat had no codes on it at all on the lot.

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
Several trips now, no error faults set. Replacing the radio did correct the issue.

It is now official, my micro-can has paid for itself.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
That's great. It really sucks that with all the technology involved, the only thing the manufacturer gives you to communicate with the car is a stupid light that only comes on when an emissions related DTC is set.:(

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
Particularly when you figure it would be oh so easy to include an alert and print out the information on the radio screen.