What did you do to your car today?

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
doing my timing belt and holy crap the flywheel is way off...

injection pump and cam are locked... wondering if this could be caused by belt strech cam seal was leaking bad...

Sent From My Cellular Telephone... so excuse autocorrect.
I'm guessing belt stretch would be the main culprit here. It's not that far out - less than 3 crank degrees retarded. Without a dial indicator for TDC reference, I'd line the flywheel mark up with the bellhousing pointer and give the cam ~1 tooth advance (the other way) when you put it together so that in another 100k miles it'll be right on :)

1.9glstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat waggon BHW PD
I put a 6mm self tapping screw with an o ring on it into the low spot on my intercooler. Improvised intercooler drain.

Richard55

Vendor
TDI
2000 NB
I agree that is not far enough out to worry about. It is just a starting point to get the car running after a timing belt is installed. Yo then use the vag-com to set the final timing. Not to worry at the 2-3 degrees here.

doing my timing belt and holy crap the flywheel is way off...

injection pump and cam are locked... wondering if this could be caused by belt strech cam seal was leaking bad...

Sent From My Cellular Telephone... so excuse autocorrect.

wersuss

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9 TDI
I think it would probably be for better traction on the drive wheels and minimize mileage penalty on the rear. Also my guess is the rear end of the car would break out earlier in a turn than if you had equal tire traction (major simplifications here as traction on each tire can get a bit complex).
Yes, actually works fine, also on wet road... As long as you drive normally...

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Santa Maria isn't exactly "just up the road." If I'd gotten her a used TDI I would have certainly called on Matt. But he's not close enough to be a convenient resource in an emergency, unfortunately. I probably will suggest she use the free dealer service for the first 30K, although I don't think it's required. I get out there enough that I can check their work and correct things if needed.

silverbox

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta wagon 2003 silver
changed my oil today; Castrol Edge Turbo Diesel 5w40 VW part #G052167M2.
and a Hengst oil filter, did not change the DG/amsiol bypass. It's still flowing well after 3or 4years.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
changed my oil today; Castrol Edge Turbo Diesel 5w40 VW part #G052167M2.
and a Hengst oil filter, did not change the DG/amsiol bypass. It's still flowing well after 3or 4years.
Next time can you try Castrol Edge 0w40, see if you notice any difference?

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Santa Maria isn't exactly "just up the road." If I'd gotten her a used TDI I would have certainly called on Matt. But he's not close enough to be a convenient resource in an emergency, unfortunately. I probably will suggest she use the free dealer service for the first 30K, although I don't think it's required. I get out there enough that I can check their work and correct things if needed.
:D Out here, anything less than 200 miles is "just up (or down) the road".

1.9glstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
I do have to admit when I get time I roll down old 101 I believe from oceanside to san diego. Its got good views.

SCM.com

Veteran Member
TDI
Mr. Guetta - 2014 Jetta TDI Trimline +
3" or stay with 2.5"

Hi volks,

Been mulling over the idea of going to a 76mm (3") exhaust, and wanted some opinions about any changes in the car, or dronology. No muffler or scrubber, but I might get into a hi-flow scrubber.

Thanks in advance.

-M.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Hi volks,

Been mulling over the idea of going to a 76mm (3") exhaust, and wanted some opinions about any changes in the car, or dronology. No muffler or scrubber, but I might get into a hi-flow scrubber.

Thanks in advance.

-M.
I went from 2.5" to 3" about 3 years ago. Better turbo spool, seemed to pull harder, lower EGTs, more throaty sound. Resonator a must [very harsh w/o it]

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Pulled off the 6-speed transmission to figure out why my near-new (10K km all-highway) clutch was slipping.
Leaking $7 seal will do it. What a major PITA for such a rinky-dink part.

Also trying to figure out where my coolant keeps disappearing to. "The bottom of the oil pan" would be the answer; now to find out why. Thermostat flange thingy?

Last edited:

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
2004 Wagon love

Waggin today got:

-Bilateral new rear wheel bearings
-Bilateral new rear calipers
-All visible rear brake parts painted with black, ceramic brake paint
-Biannual brake bleed (brown, nasty, obvious water in fluid)
-Schaeffer S9000 oil change
-Charcoal cabin air filter

When the slide hammer gets here, new bilateral front wheel bearings going in.

Getting her ready for IMPEX and a summer of traveling to GTGs ;):D

Last edited:

xbiker423

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon GL
Washed the car, painted grill (and large lower grill) satin black, put on summer tires, noticed passenger outer CV joint is throwing grease (anyone have tips on rebuilding outer joints? They're for an 02m), mounted but did not wire Hella Micro DEs in lower grills, primed and painted my inner driver's fender (behind the liner), installed boost fitting in upper pipe. Driver's front tire is wearing excessively on the inside of the tread...

Got a sun burn.

PeeWee

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon, 97 Passat Sedan
Started the B4S after running the battery down leaving and interior light on :( The wagon is going for an exhaust to fit the project engine

1.9glstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Replaced 90 amp alternator with dead pulley with a 120 Amp cause rebuilder had it priced right 99 bucks woo with a new pulley. Runs silky smooth now.