WOW... TSB Intercooler kit just in time for summer

NYC-TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI Free and Loving It
I have had problems with water ingestion several times over the past winters, including one case of locked-up solid hydrolocking last year. Unfortunately I cleared that myself because I really, really needed the car at the time and couldn't sacrifice the time needed at the dealership. So of course when I finally did get to the dealership the car was behaving normally and they "could not duplicate" the problem. Even though I showed up with a copy of the TSB in my hand I could not get them to order the intercooler kit.

There were other episodes of water ingestion after that but each time dealer "could not duplicate" and would not order the new intercooler. I was actually hoping for another full on hydrolocking so there would be no way dealer could deny it but that didn't happen.

Anyway, I have been disappointed with the car over a number of different issues, with this being a major one. I was coming up on my 30K service and was 2 months from running out of warranty. There was no way I was going to deal with this again on my dime when out of warranty so I decided that if I couldn't get this issue resolved at the 30K I would get rid of the car, take the loss and be done with it. Even started looking at Toyotas. (Yes I know, boring but reliable, but that's a big R after dealing with VW.) So imagine my surprise today at the dealership when I again mentioned problems with water ingestion over the past winter and the service writer comes back a few minutes later and says they're ordering the intercooler kit for my car. Gee that was easy, why wasn't it that easy the first 10 times?

So they ordered the kit, should be in next week. Now I only hope they don't screw up the install. My confidence was not boosted when I looked at my receipt and saw that they listed the wrong oil for the 30K oil change. Although I did talk to the mechanic and he swears he put the 507 spec oil in and it was only a clerical error on the paperwork.

So I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'll update after the kit is installed.

ValveCoverGasket

Veteran Member
TDI
colorado duramax, 1z vanagon, tdi touareg
So imagine my surprise today at the dealership when I again mentioned problems with water ingestion over the past winter and the service writer comes back a few minutes later and says they're ordering the intercooler kit for my car. Gee that was easy, why wasn't it that easy the first 10 times?
itd be interesting to know whay made them change their minds now, especially with it being spring time.
maybe the kits are easier to get a hold of in the "off" season...

NYC-TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI Free and Loving It
I dropped off the car today around 9:30 AM. Got a call a little before 4PM saying car is ready, come pick it up. This was after I had been told it would be a couple of days before car would be ready.

Does it seem reasonable that the intercooler installation could be done in that time frame? It seems like a fairly complex job, and I'm sure I wasn't the only car in for service today. I'm just terrified that they half-assed it.

Will pick up car tomorrow. I'll let you know.

mischievousMk6

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Kinda wish I never had the kit installed...I've still had rough starts here and there and now just more hoses running around my engine bay...

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Mine was installed in about 4 hours while I waited. granted they botched the HP AC line on the reassembly so I had to go back and leave it for a night. But it can be done pretty quick if the shop has done them before.

NYC-TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI Free and Loving It
Well I picked up the car today and yes they definitely half-assed it. Within half a block of driving away from the dealership it was apparent something was wrong. The front end was rattling so bad I thought the engine was going to fall out.

So...back to the dealership. They take the car back to garage area for over an hour. (Of course I am unable to see what they are doing.) Finally service tech comes out and says a bracket was "inverted"...What?...No further explanation was offered.

This tells me two things, one they never checked their work, and two they never test drove the car after they completed the work. If they had there would be no way they could not have heard whatever it was flopping around down there.

Car seemed alright on the trip home after that, but honestly I am disgusted with VW. I have had more problems with this car in the less than 3 years I have owned it than in my previous 2 cars combined over a 24 year period. This is my last VW for sure.

NYC-TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI Free and Loving It
Complaining about dealer service is all well and good but the fact remains that if VW had properly designed, tested and assembled these vehicles in the first place we wouldn't have to worry about dealers botching their attempts to right VW's original wrongs.