Anyone install new exhaust on your TDI

VWJayhawk

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Indigo,

I think I see the confusion, the 170hp peak APR has is at a different RPM than the stock HP peak. This is why the peak numbers (hp or tq as you said) doesn't really matter, but (as you said again) the change/under the curve. If you look at the change graph, you will see at 4300 rpm (near stock peak) there is about a 13 hp gain, or very much in line with what you estimated. Earlier on in the power band is where the tuned hp peaks.

I see what you are saying with the peak tq being at a higher rpm, but it does match stock tq at the same rpm; it just peaks higher because it produces more tq. So I believe it may feel more responsive (as opposed to less) since the tq comes on at the same/slightly earlier and then peaks higher/further down the curve.

I appreciate the insight and help, and quite frankly I think all of our problems would be solved if VW would just give us the darn 170hp TDI motors here! Haha

Thanks for sharing your dyno too!

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Last edited:

VWJayhawk

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
1.) That tune is NOT for the CKRA (Passat) engine.
2.) That graph shows poor boost control (or something else). Look at the up/down fluctuations in the torque.
1) That is why my quote says "your car"
2) I would guess the small fluctuations likely have to do with the scale of the graph (where most dyno charts go above 300) and that they average several runs.

Wasn't trying to start anything here, was just posting to show that 30 hp gains at some point through the rpm range may be achievable with a tune/exhaust

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
And that chart doesn't show a 30 HP gain, no matter how generous you are with interpreting the numbers.

But I've said enough here. People will believe what they want.

phlfly

Banned
TDI
Passat SEL
What numbers do you think they're using for gains over stock? Seems to me it's the tuned numbers on the first tab, and they're comparing them to 140 stock HP, where they show a stock car on the same dyno made 153, not 140. So it's no more accurate than the chart on the first tab.

And most tuners will tell you it's the space under the curve that matters. The tuned HP curve pretty much reflects the stock curve, but at a higher number. But the torque curve peaks at significantly higher RPM (2700 versus 2400 approx), which will make the car feel less responsive, not more.

I guess it doesn't look that much different, although the torque peak seems lower. Some of it is just how the scale on the chart is set. Note the max HP, which the dyno operators thought was pretty impressive for a car rated at 140 HP at the crank. These are uncorrected #s except for atmosphere.
And that chart doesn't show a 30 HP gain, no matter how generous you are with interpreting the numbers.

But I've said enough here. People will believe what they want.

Yes I agree it's more like 20 hp but it's still impressive, if count a bunch stuff mounted on exhaust, filter, couple converter, urea spray and diesel as poor producer energy, without upgrading turbo ( as we know its already small on Passat ) and don't upgrading fuel injectors. My ale on this I will be better on safe side and don't overload the turbo than burn turbo.

After driving this car for 8000 miles I found I missed rather upper side HP, it's like this after 3500 rpm the car don't go anymore so it's very difficult todo fast passing and changing lines at 50 + mph. It's enough response now, sometime it's too much all low rmp. On US hwy I would rather have a little more power on higher rmps.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I see a lot of turbo upgrades in this forum's future. :D

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Here, Let's use Malone's numbers since they appear to be more realistic...

http://malonetuning.com/?page_id=564

CR140 Stage 1 +20 WHP +62 WTQ

CR140 Stage 1.5 +25 WHP +65 WTQ

The base was 133 WHP 225 WTQ

Those numbers are more realistic, hence why I am going with Malone, plus they have been in the TDI tuning business for much longer.

Also, who cares if the torque peaks later than stock as long as where the stock tune peaked you are making more torque and hp? Duh!

Also, the statement was made by somebody that diesel has less energy. You are wrong Diesel has more BTU's per gallon than Gasoline, G -116090 btu/gal D - 128,450 btu/gal. Diesel has the highest energy content per gallon of any common fuel out there. Fun Fact, E85 has 84750, 75% of a gallon of gas. Just using our standard E10 that is found in most pumps, contains 4% less energy. All of that is the reason that diesels are inherently more efficient.

There are dyno charts posted on THIS forum that show that even the CAI, that ya'll said will have no gain, does have a gain.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=323946

While 4 WHP, that is 4 I didn't have before...I'll take it.

All of this while still leaving all of the emissions equipment in place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I see a lot of turbo upgrades in this forum's future. :D
True, one thing I have learned about modding diesels, is one upgrade always helps me find the next part to upgrade. Oh well, that why I love the challenge!

detroitmike

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat DSG
Loki, isnt it like 100 degrees in VA? When are you gonna put that exhaust on? Looking forward to before and after video.:D

VeeDubTDI

TDI
It was only 94 today! :mad:

Low humidity though, so it was tolerable. :cool:

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Loki, isnt it like 100 degrees in VA? When are you gonna put that exhaust on? Looking forward to before and after video.:D
I know, I know! Every time I think I am going to have time, something comes up.

My tune install is setup for Next Thursday though! Can't wait!

phlfly

Banned
TDI
Passat SEL
Exhaust sound

Have anyone listened Passat 2.0 TDi exhaust sound outside the car, while car driven by somebody else then you?
I was experienced past weekend, my spouse took for the ride, so I was outside with kids, she got off and I heard like more whistle sound coming out from exhaust tip. This sound is more remind me semi-truck sound but 10x times dB less.
So unusaul to me, since I got used to gas engines.

JdC Machine

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SEL
Loki, do you have the exhaust on yet? I'm looking at buying the kit for mine. The cheapest I've found it so far is $341 on AutoAnything. I just checked it on AutoAnything and came to find they're offering a special, right-now price of just $272 with free shipping! Even overnight shipping is only $18! I'm pulling the trigger.

Last edited:

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Loki, do you have the exhaust on yet? I'm looking at buying the kit for mine. The cheapest I've found it so far is $341 on AutoAnything. I just checked it on AutoAnything and came to find they're offering a special, right-now price of just $272 with free shipping! Even overnight shipping is only $18! I'm pulling the trigger.
Great price! Do it!

Tried to put it on Saturday, but looks like I need to cut the factory to get it out. On my ramps I couldn't get the clearance to cut where I wanted. Working on getting some time on a friends lift to do it the easy way...

JdC Machine

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SEL
Great price! Do it!

Tried to put it on Saturday, but looks like I need to cut the factory to get it out. On my ramps I couldn't get the clearance to cut where I wanted. Working on getting some time on a friends lift to do it the easy way...

Yep. I borrowed a lift at my friend's muffler shop a couple of hours ago and took a peek under this thing. Looks like cutting it above the rear-end or just behind the muffler would be ideal for removal. I may see if I can borrow his lift to install it when it gets here. Funny, that the tubing looks to be about 2.5" (like the AFE kit) up until the muffler section slips on and it necks down to 2". Why not continue with the 2.5"?! :confused::confused:

BTW, lifts are so nice! I wish I had room for one. It would be a great investment!

Last edited:

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Yep. I borrowed a lift at my friend's muffler shop a couple of hours ago and took a peek under this thing. Looks like cutting it above the rear-end or just behind the muffler would be ideal for removal. I may see if I can borrow his lift to install it when it gets here. Lifts are so nice! I wish I had room for one. It would be a great investment!
Exactly where I was thinking of cutting...I would love to be able to have a lift also.

JdC Machine

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SEL
It's gonna drop-ship from AFE. I should have it by early next week and installed around the middle of the week. AFE is out in Corona, which isn't very far from me.

BlownBusa

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE+ DSG
Ok... I got it! 2013 is cheaper! WTH? Is it the same as the 2012? I'd think so but, who knows? Someone let me know. Lol ;)

JdC Machine

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SEL
Ok... I got it! 2013 is cheaper! WTH? Is it the same as the 2012? I'd think so but, who knows? Someone let me know. Lol ;)
Is it really?? That's strange. I have a '13 so, naturally, that's what I entered. I saw their "regular price" above the sale price which said $341 though.

JdC Machine

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SEL
Believe it or not, I actually did enter my car as a 2012. IIRC, upon entering 2013, their site said the exhaust wouldn't fit. :eek: By default, mine became a 2012 as well.

Talk about fast shipping! I got notification Friday afternoon that it had shipped. Fedex pulled up about 3pm today! :D BTW, I was expecting to find the AFE logo in advertised pictures to be present on the tip... I discovered otherwise. Probably won't see it anyhow but, WTH, AFE??

JdC Machine

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SEL
Hopefully I can get this installed this week when I'm off work. I think I'll just put the rear of the car up on jackstands in my driveway. One cut with a sawzall and a few hangers? That's nothing!

Can anybody offer some advice on a safe location for jackstands? Other than the jacking points on each side of the car. Maybe under the rear control arms somewhere?

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Installed...

Old Junk: My car is a 2013 built 1 year ago, and I live in VA. See all the tarnish...

New:

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
And....?

Looks nice OBTW.
Not any louder than stock inside. Sounds a little throatier outside. Tried to get a good sound file, but no luck. Need to adjust a little, it is catching when entering my steep drive way...