The 1998 B5 Passat TDI (one of 2 stateside?)

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Just finished my custom intake and FMIC setup.
There is definitely different about it but I will have to drive it for a couple days and do some logs before I know exactly what it is.

Anyway, here are some pics, the intake started out as a BEW intake.

First one shows the intake clearing the V6 snorkel very closely but with plenty of space.

All the plumbing except for one 90 I forgot on the car

Plumbed and ready for airbox

More plumbing - I have to give this some attention later

Dark pic, but it shows the CCV and airbox setup.

All T-bolt clamps are accessible without removing the bumper cover - not sure I could do anything if anything blew anyway.

Still looks stock, except the lower valence doesn't quite fit

Lots of extra space now.

Compare to the pics above ^

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Thanks Nick,

It has about 1/2-3/4".

As you know, my visous fan blew up and I removed it - no fans run because it doesn't really get hot, however idling or even with the engine off(just turned off, still hot) it will heat the FMIC up. I had it off for a good 10 minutes or so, came back, plugged in VCDS and it was reading 50C. Drove for 5 minutes slowly and it dropped to 28C. 1st through 4th(4000rpm) at WOT brought the temps from 30C to 40C where previously it would have been around 50-60C

I'm going to install my viscous fan again to see if it makes any difference.

After I got home, I idled in my driveway for 3-4 minutes and the temps climbed from 30C to almost 40C.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I can't say I do, but in reality its probably about the same considering the size of the intercooler

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Finally got around to tuning this setup, didn't have time to fine-tune the new turbo but now tuned for the FMIC and turbo, its absolutely amazing. IAT stays below 40C on heavy WOT pulls through 2nd 3rd, and 4th(0 to mexico), cruising its about 8-10C above ambient.

I can't wait to get on the dyno!

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I've been spending some time tweaking the tune(tweaked way beyond most tunes), installed WARP 5(.250) nozzles and just installed a lift pump last night. I wish I had done the lift pump a LONG time ago! It pulls so much better at high rpm.

I am having slight positive timing deviation, lift pump didn't fix it, might reseal the IP.

If all goes as planned, I might be installing the ported head after Thanksgiving. I have Rosten rods and PD130 pistons ready to drop in if I see that they are needed along with upgraded hardware all around. I'll probably see that they are needed either way :D

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Make sure you've got some way to hold the case pressure relief valve together - if it comes apart, which based on the diagrams of how that system works, is more likely with a lift pump, the timing piston may be unable to maintain timing.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
keystone mod was done a long time ago, I might pull that and just weld the retaining ring in.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
That was one wild weekend!

Pulled the motor,
Installed Rosten rods, PD130 pistons, honed the bores(was perfect prior) rebuilt injection pump, all upgraded 12.9 hardware, had to hammer the pump slightly and it fired right up!
55 miles on it so far.

Need to confirm but it seems to spool 1-200rpm earlier!

Last edited:

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
500 miles on the rebuild when I get home, I'll do an oil change and figure out why my IP is leaking down after a full seal job.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Ordered some Viton pump head o-rings, I've checked both QA and top cover seals. I might do this tomorrow.

I pulled the valves from my old head to inspect and clean since its going on a different motor, I have 5 tweaked valves. Cylinder 3 valves were all good and exhaust valve in cylinder 4 was also good. I wish I knew what caused this so I know not to do that on my new head!

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Update from the rebuild - over 2000 miles on it so far, running great. zero oil consumption, +2mpg from this time the last two years, 42mpg the last two tanks. I have not been kind to it either.

Kriesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Nice, I have gotten as high as 48 and as low as 39.8(I usually don't admit I pulled a tank under 40).

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Wow, that is almost hard to believe! Must have been at least 50% city driving? I think the most city driving I ever do is 20%(of miles).

I do like how my MFA reads 99.9mpg with these massive nozzles :D

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
I've had a couple 33 mpg tanks, I think.

(My driving is a lot of very short trips, mixed in with occasional ~60-100 mi round trips.)

Kriesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I've had a couple 33 mpg tanks, I think.

(My driving is a lot of very short trips, mixed in with occasional ~60-100 mi round trips.)
Ditto, there are some tanks that the Jetta never leaves the city, or gets on a highway much less...

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
So I was talking to a guy I know who works at a dealer so he looked up my VIN in ELSAWEB, I found this amusing.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
wonder what tranny code is in it? might be something the swap guys could use since it is a B5 longitudinal engine. We have to order them from Europe anyhow.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
trans code is dhl. I might sell it if i upgrade to an 01e
fyi your dhl is 2.66 final drive 5th. Try to get a dqs-2.15 final drive in 6th if your insistent on a 6sp. Frans has them from time to time for arround $2500. I got a european tdi fhn 5 sp-2.36 from him. Sweet ride YA GOT THERE!