Jetta MK6 and the Torque App for Android via ELM327 OBDII Adapter

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
Jetta MK6 and the Torque App for Android via ELM327 OBDII Adapter

You may or may not have heard of this thing but I have now tried it out for myself and have to tell you it is more fun than a bucket of puppies for the $35 I spent. (not including phone of course)

You can get some more enlightenment about it in this thread from the OBDII/Scanner forum, but I thought it would be nice to have a thread for exploring this tool/toy as it relates specifically to the MK6 Jetta. This post is part experience review as well as discussion.

Allow me to start at the beginning:

There has been some praise and much complaint about the MFD and the information it provides. We all know the ECU is managing loads of data it withholds from us stat junkies, like engine coolant tempertature! Well this is a pretty nifty fix for the money!

Essentially what you buy is something called the ELM327 OBDII Adapter that plugs in under the driver side dash by the fuse panel. ELM327 is not a brand name and is made and sold by several sources. The word is the BAFX spec is the one to get because it is the one that is truly universal across all or at least most makes and models. I won't post a link, but I got mine on Amazon from the top seller with the best reviews, even though they were not the cheapest at $24.

Then you download the Torque Pro App for $5. Enable the bluetooth connection and the rest pretty much sorts itself out. (Depending on order or number of times you start the car or app, it may require closing and restarting the app.) I had to tweak the engine displacement for some reason as well as units of measurement suited to yankee tastes in the settings menu. It allows you to set tailored profiles for multiple cars, too.

The upshot of all this is you get loads of the car's sensor measurements presented on a super-customizeable virtual gauge cluster. I realize this isn't the most scientific of instruments but it's quite enlightening as to the unlying behaviors of the car. It may even be elementally useful for pending issue warnings.

Now the good stuff: Screenshots!

After several hours I'm more or less currently settled on this arrangement. It looks a bit cluttered but it works for me. This is just one of 9 screens you can customize with "gauges"

How do you like the MK6 Jetta theme? :D It's called "pure white"

A couple points first: I don't know yet how to get a screeen shot without the screenshot button in there....and this first one has the status bar in it....but as you can see here I have:

A RPM gauge ranged to 5000 with bar graph

A big fat turbo boost gauge in the middle, ranged to 25psi

4 temp gauges down the right side (in Farenheit); engine coolant, outside air, EGT1 (exhaust gas temp pre DPF I think) and Cat B1S1 (post DPF maybe?) Nice to monitor these as verification of regen cycles. I have both set right now to flash if they exceed 1000 degrees Farenheit. EGT1 rises and falls more rapidly, from 300s after a few minutes of idling at near-freezing temps to spikes of 1400 when pushing through a regen. CAT B1S1 is less dramatic, but can exceed 1000 degrees. With this I can readily practice ensuring temps are below the 400 degree mark before shutting down for complete cool-off.

A tiny speedometer (OBD, not GPS option), a tiny voltage readout, and a tiny MAF with bar graph capped at 1000 CFM (don't mind the acceleration box next to the speedo, it is experimental)

THEN two fuel gauges: the left is ranged 0.0-2.0 gallons per hour for fine sensitivity at light throttle, (having a mythical optimum of 1.0 GPH at the top middle of the gauge) and the right one is for full range (set to 15 anyway) but also not set to kick in until 1.0, so it seems to not kick in until the other one pegs. Just an idea of how rediculously tweakable this app is. I fit all this on one screen! One caveat, the "small" gauge seen here only shows tenths, but a medium one would show hundredths. I do have a complaint however: The gauge won't read between 0.26 GPH to 0.01 GPH. It's like the blank-out on the MFD when coasting down speed in gear. What's worse is that it stops registering also when coasting in neutral (6MT) above ~40mph- drop to 35 or lower and the 0.3 GPH comes back....

Coasting in neutral shot to demonstrate:

Now here is a series of cruise control shots. I think it's neat to see when the cars manages boost, AI and fuel to maintain speed.

Relatively level ground, about 52 mpg: Under 2GPH, no boost:

Now going uphill a bit, about 35 mpg, 50% more fuel to maintain speed, little bit of boost:

Now going downhill a bit, about 72 mpg, almost 1GPH and off the boost again:

Now coasting down the exit ramp in neutral, about 275mpg at 0.26GPH:

Of course it's also fun to punch it and watch the gauges spaz out:

This is just part of what this app "does" as some features are GPS or phone orientation based and not therefore wholly credible but still, what a toy! Check this bit out!

Probably a thing I shouldn't have. Don't make fun of my score either, I wasn't the one who decided the interstate needed a speed limit. :p

Last edited:

torrimac

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Sedan DSG
I had the dongle 2 years ago but could not get it to work all that well. Now that I see others have gotten things to work I will order another one. Ive already paid for the Torque pro app. I have an old Droid X that is sitting around that I just might be able to mount somewhere with something sticky yet removable like a command strip.

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
I think so, because a phone call came in and activated Bluetooth, Torque just runs in the background while you use the phone for other things.

JaredC01

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE - 6MT
I think so, because a phone call came in and activated Bluetooth, Torque just runs in the background while you use the phone for other things.
I think he more meant having multiple simultaneous bluetooth connections, one to connect to the OBDII port, and one for the stereo.

That would more depend on your phone than the app.

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
That's what I thought and think mine can handle both BT connections, maybe more? I've never streamed music via BT from my phone, just video, which would defeat the purpose....but the phone did talk to the car while Torque was running. I agree it may be subject to phone's capability.

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
So I've been going a little mental with the on-going quest to jam as much as one can a single screen. :rolleyes:

Where to begin? I downsized the boost gauge to make room....added a percentage meter of fuel remaining, it is supposed to be reading off the car's sensor, yet it is pretty inaccurate, as I suspect the "fuel used" below it. It must not account for return flow or something. Also added a digital fuel consumption to read and kept the silly two gauge system. The "mpg average" is hopeless, but I have the live mpg fairly on the mark with a -0.5% correction. (You can correct for wheel size too) Also added the pedal position graph. The three tiny mpg dial aren't really for reading, just an efficientcy visual. 1 is 0-40mpg, 2 is 40-60 and 3 is 60 to capped 255mpg.

As low as she goes. :)

Idle during regen:

YeeHaa!

As an experiment I tested the accuracy of the odometer function, and here is the result after 190.0 miles on the car:

Not too bad, one of the more accurate gauges!

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
ELM327 is not a brand name and is made and sold by several sources.
Actually it is a brand name. Its just that a whole bunch of companies are ripping them off by pirating their firmware. ELM is a company, and the ELM327 is a PIC microcontroller with their custom firmware for OBD communication. See http://elmelectronics.com/obdic.html .

mac5155

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta
This looks awesome! I think I'll try it out in the near future.

azthegame

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 4dr Golf TDI w/DSG
I use this exact combo everyday. Very good deal, better than buying a P3 gauge with less measurements for 10x the price.

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
More tweaking around, I can see now I can do 1 or 2 more things to clean up the look...

A is the current "hypermile" screen, I've used the green on/off lights here and there...boost, fuel flow and "mpg" (movement) - they light when value is above zero. A bit silly but a custom glancing visual touch.

You can layer the gauges, for overlapping purposes I guess, so the fuel flow light is behind the second ff gauge, and you can see number and dial still. It goes off anytime you coast in gear or at idle above ~40mph, so inaccurate in other words. The tiny mpg light is in front, since it is too small to read anyway, yet you can still make out the dial band as it goes up. You can modify the gauges names to blank if you want for a cleaner look. (But not the units id) I need to touch up a spot or two here.

B is a second, newer, similar, cleaner screen geared toward monitoring warm-up, which I set-up for another screenshot demonstration.

It says fuel remaining is 3.2%, which is wrong, more like 8%. To make it even this accurate, I lied to the app that the car's tank is 19 gallons. :rolleyes: This tank I'm trying 19.9 gallons. Then I'll turn on "enhanced MPG calculation" which warns it may slow readings down. We'll see if it's worth it.

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
CR engine warm-up pictorial

Here is a pictorial using the Torque App illustrating a warm-up cycle for a CR 2.0 motor. Subject vehicle is 2011 Jetta Sedan with 107,910 miles. Lower grille is 2/3 blocked with foam tubes. First shot starts about 20 seconds with engine on, the car has to be nudged forward to start the timer. Otherwise hopefully this shows all the relevent data to explain popular diesel warm-up procedure.

So yeah, about 15 minutes to fully warm up, even with driving most of the time. at near freezing anyway.

Here are some random stats at hour 1, 3 and 5:

I might do another at a much warmer ambient temp for comparison.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
That sure is a lot of gauges :)
Nothing against torque, but your pics kinda convince me that it's really more an app for the co-pilot - if you want to stay on the road.

pdt165

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta 6 speed (Bought Back)
Nothing against torque, but your pics kinda convince me that it's really more an app for the co-pilot - if you want to stay on the road.
If you have a good mount and limited displays on the screen it is no different than looking at your dash board. generally if im driving Ill have Temp, boost and maybe one more on the screen nice and big so I can see it from my windshield mount.

On another note, after the post of warm up time I did a similar test ( sorry, no screen shots) at about 70 Degrees air temp it took 8 minutes to hit 200 degrees.

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
With great power comes great responsibilty....;) Note all I had to do was push the screenshot button when the big second hand showed what time I wanted to capture. Plus, I've had to push buttons while driving for a living since 1997. :) (I was texting and driving before it was a thing, ironically I don't have to anymore since everyone else started doing it)

If you have a good mount and limited displays on the screen it is no different than looking at your dash board. generally if im driving Ill have Temp, boost and maybe one more on the screen nice and big so I can see it from my windshield mount.
Yep, s-phone mounted like a nav unit on the window.

Seems like a very busy screen, but it does show a lot of useful information!
Like an MFD, it just crunches numbers while I drive, and I can monitor them at stoplights. And make nifty demos with screenshots!

Last edited:

agxster

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 1.9 TDi DSG (Mk.V) 2008 - RIP
After reading this thread, I just ordered one of those Elm adapters, looking forward to trying this out with my Nexus 7.

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
With GPS enabled, you're also able to generate maps displaying your speed:
Cool, I haven't played around with that part much yet. Supposedly there is a plug-in where you can video record the data with video even I think. Didn't have time or patience to get it to work though....:(

Anybody play with the g-force meters yet? :D

I really do like this app myself and This is my daily gauge cluster after seeing yours.
Nice! I'm disappointed I cannot run seperate themes for seperate vehicle profiles...but here's a more sane gauge in the red/black theme I tried for another car.

These half gauges are kinda cool because they post highs and lows. But if you exit the app, even when you leave it running, these markers reset. :rolleyes: I generally find the causes for various gauge resets curious and inconsistent.

Another note about boost:

In the vehicle profile there is a setting for barometric pressure adjustment, and it says usually you enter in 14.5, 0 or -14.5. Default was zero and from what I read elsewhere about the boost operation, the guage was miscalibrated, it didn't register as soon as it should. It said that my car said -14.x, so changed it to -14.5 in the profile and it seems to behave much more like the gurus describe it does.

solid19snake

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI 6MT (sold)
Cool, I haven't played around with that part much yet. Supposedly there is a plug-in where you can video record the data with video even I think. Didn't have time or patience to get it to work though....:(
I posted that feature in hopes of you posting a map zig-zagging across town, haha!

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
I posted that feature in hopes of you posting a map zig-zagging across town, haha!

Here ya go! ;)

1: Start/End

2: North City :eek: Industrial Sector :cool:

3: Larry Flynt strip club in Washington Park IL :eek: (DO NOT LEAVE THE SAFETY OF THE PARKING LOT!!)

4: The Airport Run

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg

Left pic is a close up of Kirkwood. The left route was about 1 AM and the right-hand route is about 4 am.

5: Pick up 3 passengers at bar

6: Detour for train

7: Drop off one passenger and proceed to the second destination

8: Pick up nice family of 3 to airport. I was bang-on at 4 when scheduled but they were 20 mins late. I gave them ten, but had to charge for ten. (Custom is only 5 free minutes)

In right pic is close up of the lot at the strip club. Creepy accurate eh? You can see A: I pulled to door for 90 seconds for passengers to spot I was there, then B: backed into a space to wait (since they weren't right there and some lonely security dude would inevitibly roll by to rudely ask me to move anyway. :rolleyes: (Cos they "don't take kindly to cabs from Missouri 'round here" :rolleyes:)

SkeeterMark

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6M
lol. Dozen, I always wondered if you actually hauled people around or if your miles were just from driving all over for the photo scavenger hunt. ;)

On topic, this thing looks pretty cool, and looks like a good way to add nav and a "full" mfd for pretty cheap.

If only I wasn't still holding on to my $10 go-phone like it was the last thing on earth. I'm not sure I'm smart enough for a smart phone.

*Edit* : Can it be configured to look more like the MFD layout? Can you page through different screens (similar to MFD)? You know.....so it would almost be like we got the full mfd on these models.

Last edited:

pdt165

Veteran Member
TDI
LOL to you covering up the MAX SPEED Scale.

solid19snake

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI 6MT (sold)
Can it be configured to look more like the MFD layout? Can you page through different screens (similar to MFD)? You know.....so it would almost be like we got the full mfd on these models.
There are quite a few different options for the actual gauges (digital, dial, half-dial, bar, graph) and they come in many sizes (i believe luisj's blue guages and dozen's half-dials are of the "small" size, while dozen's air temp and others are "tiny"). There are also built-in widgets such as a compass, clock, pitch/roll meters, and others.
There are 7 screens worth of space to fill up and you can scroll them just like the android phone's main display.

pdt165

Veteran Member
TDI
There are quite a few different options for the actual gauges (digital, dial, half-dial, bar, graph) and they come in many sizes (i believe luisj's blue guages and dozen's half-dials are of the "small" size, while dozen's air temp and others are "tiny"). There are also built-in widgets such as a compass, clock, pitch/roll meters, and others.
There are 7 screens worth of space to fill up and you can scroll them just like the android phone's main display.
You can change the number of screens, think i saw the max is 15.