My 91 GTI 8 valve to B4 1Z TDI swap

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
thanks, I was wondering about the vibration with these. I think I'll be doing these some day soon.
I will report back once I do some more driving

So far the car seems to be great with these bushings, no added vibration but a lot less movement...

The only vibration I sense now is when cold at idle, and it seems to be from my exhaust, which is rather rigidly mounted at the rear of the car...I may even include a second flex section when a make a new exhaust system.

To clarify what I was saying when I said I reinforced my front engine mount, I filled the voids with a hot glue gun, which eliminates a lot of the sag and overall sloppiness of the stock rubber mount.

Last edited:

Jake_S

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDI/DSG; 05 Jetta Wagon auto (retired)
I just read the whole thread. Great work and definitely an inspiration for performing a similar swap.

Jake

GTiTDi

TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
awesome build. just read 17 pages, eyes burn.
That's a lot to read in one sitting! :eek: If you make it to one of the gtg's you might even get to go for a ride!
Wow great swap, excellent workmanship and way to stick with it.
Thanks!
I just read the whole thread. Great work and definitely an inspiration for performing a similar swap.
Jake
Thanks Jake. Making this build thread was meant to assist as well as inspire others to do this swap!

GTiTDi

TDI
Dream come true...will be working at Smyth Performance very soon!
January of this year I drew this up on MS paint because I thought nothing could be better than a Jetta TDI turned into a truck....

Now nearly a year later I will be not only building a Jetta TDI truck, but getting paid to do so!
I will be doing swap work and selling turbo adapter plates too...chk out my FB page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Schnell-Snail-TDI-performance/188243454529795

Last edited:

jstn

Veteran Member
TDI
gone to the dark side :)
congrats broski! :) ive heard smyth is kind of into this tdi thing... :D

justin

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Jetta wagon made into a truck would be excellent, but the B pillar is too far forward for anyone but a pretty short person (me, perhaps) to drive comfortably. A 2-door Golf would be better, but that would make for a really short truck bed.

GTiTDi

TDI
Jetta wagon made into a truck would be excellent, but the B pillar is too far forward for anyone but a pretty short person (me, perhaps) to drive comfortably. A 2-door Golf would be better, but that would make for a really short truck bed.
Don't worry about that, we are keeping the taller people in mind! There will be a quarter window.....;)

GTiTDi

TDI
145hp/257ft/lbs and no heavy smoke output**....egts barely exceed 1300*....130 mph...superb mileage! No MAF or N75 to worry about failing....100% Win :D

**tested using B100 from Loud Fuel, Falmouth, MA

Last edited:

GTiTDi

TDI
Next step with the GTI TDI is an 11mm fuel pump from an ALH....this has been on the back burner now that I have been moving into my own shop for performing more swaps, diagnostic services, as well as timing belts and clutch jobs. As well as this operation I will be working at Smyth Performance along with Mike aka ManualTranny! Looking forward to some good times!

baja_brewer

Veteran Member
TDI
1980 Rabbit Pickup (1.6 IDI), 1990 Corrado TDI, 2010 Audi A5
Wow, not sure how I missed all the good news posted on the last page. Congrats!

I have all the parts needed for my 11mm pump swap, but I don't have the ability to do the minor machining I've read is required - think I could send this your way when the time comes? Maybe bring the parts when I come up to buy that adapter plate?!

I'm trying to get everything together so I can get this done by spring.

GTiTDi

TDI
Wow, not sure how I missed all the good news posted on the last page. Congrats!

I have all the parts needed for my 11mm pump swap, but I don't have the ability to do the minor machining I've read is required - think I could send this your way when the time comes? Maybe bring the parts when I come up to buy that adapter plate?!

I'm trying to get everything together so I can get this done by spring.
I have just the machinist to bring your bracket to. He has already done a couple and will be doing mine as well. Come visit before the GTDI gets stowed away for the winter!! ;)

mike000

TDI
1Z TDI swapped '90 Jetta
The 1Z is a tight fit at least on the belt side
Sorry to go so far back, but I used an ABA PS pulley on the crank, along with the stock TDI serp pulley, as I had some clearance issues with the stock PS pulley. I don't recall if you kept your power steering or not, but it made things super easy for me! The ABA pulley is smaller, because it has a higher RPM range (at least my theory), so to keep the pump spinning at the same speed as an equivalent gasoline motor would, the TDI needed the bigger pulley for the gear ratio, but in all reality, it doesn't make a damn difference lol, mine drives just fine with the different pulley combination!

Last edited:

GTiTDi

TDI
Curious about your 2000 Saab 9-5 intercooler. Is it holding up to your boost pressure? Which model/engine (8th VIN digit) did it have?
As far as the "8th VIN digit" I have no idea, but FWIW Burpod had no issue finding one for cheap off ebay...IIRC it was a 2.0 turbo.
It seems to be holding up fine considering I am running 28 psi of boost through it.
The real question is would it even fit a B4.....I will let you know once I commence swapping my mk3 tdi drivetrain into my B4V GLX....

Edit: the Saab intercooler has failed. I noticed smoke output and a slight air hiss under boost, investigated for leaks and found the intercooler is leaking. The lowest tube and one of the upper ones have expanded, kind of like they were inflated like a balloon.
[/url] image by dr.vdub, on Flickr[/IMG]
[/url] Intercooler upgrade by dr.vdub, on Flickr[/IMG]
I have been fitting a more robust spearco intercooler that I got from my buddy yeah dude 38

Last edited:

Urbandiesel

TDI
None, shopping for one
Gti tdi

I was reading thread here and was wondering how much will it run me to have someone from this forum build me a mk2 tdi providing I supply the car or rolling shell I'm not good with tools what so ever Thanks

GTiTDi

TDI
I was reading thread here and was wondering how much will it run me to have someone from this forum build me a mk2 tdi providing I supply the car or rolling shell I'm not good with tools what so ever Thanks
Sending you a PM

GTiTDi

TDI
Last edited:

GTiTDi

TDI
What size intercooler piping ya going with there?

Wicked build thread btw :cool:
Thanks! It has been a good time.

IIRC, the majority of the plumbing is 2" which steps up to 2.5" at the intercooler and then back down to 2"

MR-FIZZLE-89

TDI
1997 GOLF 3 TDI AHU
Ive been watching this thread for a while as im collecting parts for a similar build myself all be it with a slightly different variation of the GT2052 which comes from a Landrover TD5 engine. You did reply to one of my posts asking if it would be a suitable turbo.

I asked about the I/C tubing as I have some 2.25" tubing doing nothing and was going to use it for my I/C plumbing...

Do you think this diamter all the way through would be ok?