17k rear tires shot.

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
I'm a bit perplexed. The tires were rotated this summer. I put the mudgaurds on this summer and the tires were in great shape and while, yes, I suppose I should have looked earlier but it never crossed my mind that the tires would be bad.

I felt the rear getting squirrely this past snow and this is what I found.

Odd that these are the rear tires at that. The front are still fine.

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
Maybe but not even an alignment would do this IMO. It wore pretty evenly.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Maybe but not even an alignment would do this IMO. It wore pretty evenly.

In that picture, it looks like there is tread left in the middle and none on the outside.

When you measure the tread depth what is it (in each groove)?

What pressure have you been running?

Bill

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
I've had time to think about this. No way they wore out. Putting two and two together. Again, these are on the rear.

I'm going out tomorrow and look but I've heard something rattling in the back. I'm going to bet I find something in my spare tire area messed with. In WV we have yearly inspections. I just had mine inspected about 3 weeks ago. No way these would have passed.

I had to have forgot to lock my car and some cacksacking mutterfudder swapped out his worn out tires with mine.

Last edited:

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
I hope you keep us up dated I find it hard to believe someone would swap you tires but you never know, let us know the outcome thanks

UOTE=pknopp;4091072]I've had time to think about this. No way they wore out. Putting two and two together. Again, these are on the rear.

I'm going out tomorrow and look but I've heard something rattling in the back. I'm going to bet I find something in my spare tire area messed with. In WV we have yearly inspections. I just had mine expected about 3 weeks ago. No way these would have passed.

I had to have forgot to lock my car and some cacksacking mutterfudder swapped out his worn out tires with mine.[/QUOTE]

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
I know this is far fetched but...............when I installed my mud gaurds the one wheel fell over and put a chip in the plastic coat. There are no chips now. Good news I got a rim with no chips. Bad news is I have to get tires.

harrumphicus

TDI
2013 SportWagen
I know this is far fetched but...............when I installed my mud gaurds the one wheel fell over and put a chip in the plastic coat. There are no chips now. Good news I got a rim with no chips. Bad news is I have to get tires.
Is this real life? Does stuff like this actually happen?

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
I'm sure it has more than once. If anyone can come up with a better answer, I'll listen. The car passed state inspection 3 weeks ago. These tires would never have passed. My chipped rim is no longer there. They don't fix themselves.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I'm sure it has more than once. If anyone can come up with a better answer, I'll listen. The car passed state inspection 3 weeks ago. These tires would never have passed. My chipped rim is no longer there. They don't fix themselves.
tire serial numbers...I mention this again.

schultp

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen, 6sp manual
Interesting, I never knew that tires have a unique serial number! Is this on the sidewall and I just haven't paid attention to it?

FloridaJohn

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf DSG - sold to VW
Maybe it was done during the inspection? :confused:

Sbeghan

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon 5spd 390k mi
Then the serials should be close. The fronts will. Be close, the backs will be close, but the fronts and backs will be way off.

Vidgamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI (turned in)
Oooh, if the dealer can look up the serial numbers on the tires and if they're not yours, turn the name over to the police. Wow, I bet they didn't see that coming!

Then again, you got a non-scuffed rim out of the deal.

You sure that it didn't just get rotated from the front and your scuffed rim is now on the front? :)

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
I will check the serial numbers first chance I get (work from 6:30 to 6:30 m-th).

They weren't rotated in the last couple weeks. :D

TDI_Timmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW, DSG, Pano
Just curious, do you have the "anti-theft" lugs on your car? However, someone could have the kit the dealers use.

This is definitely an interesting thread.

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
Yes I do and the only thing I can think of is I do on occasion forget to lock the car at home. (it sits outside)

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
LOL. W.T.F? Do such things happen at all? Wouldn't it be easier just to steal your original rims and tyres rather than replace them with identical rims plus worn tyres? Does the tyre manufacturer (Dunlop, Michelin, Continental, whatever) and tyre model matches across all the four tyres? What about date code stamped on the sidewall?

Just to confirm: you haven't been using drugs or abusing alcohol, right?