VW CrossBlue Diesel Hybrid concept introduced at NAIAS

spryde

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI GLS 5sp, 2006 Jetta Pkg 2 DSG Blue Graphite (order cancelled by dealer :( )
Autoblog.com

Where the heck did this thing come from?

-2.0 TDI
-Three rows
-89mpge
-35mpg combined
-39mpg hwy

Designed for the NA market. I fully expect it not to happen or cost $80,000.

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
I'll take a CrossBlue with just the TDI, no hybrid/electric part, SEL Premium under $40k? 37mpg highway EPA mean real world of 37-40mpg mixed. Bring it!

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Looks like it's about the size of the Toureg, so I would anticipate similar pricing. If it ever gets built!

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
CrossBlue Diesel Hybrid

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/01/14/volkswagen-crossblue-detroit-2013/

Man, I would order this today if they'll build it. 305hp, 516lbft torque. Even just running the diesel, 39MPG in a 3 row crossover SUV. If they build it in the US (and since this planned as a US/Canadian model only it should be) I would imagine that pricing could be kept near or just above the Tiguan.

No More Buffalo

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: 2015 Golf SEL 6m Sold: 2012 Golf 2dr DSG
Neat, they took a JSW and butched it up.

Wonder if we'd ever see that powertrain filter down?

Can you say GTDe?

300hp in an AWD(ish) 3200lb MQB Golf would be beyond epic.

Never happen, of course.

mpatel1080

TDI
JSW
That vehicle looks amazing...It would be the ideal family hauler for many with excellent fuel economy to boot. It appears that VW has done an incredible job packaging the hybrid components. Only problem is price...I don't know how they will keep this thing at or below the low 50's fully loaded. Once they get too far above that I think they have lost their target market as people shopping in that category become less sensitive to fuel economy. I hope they can pull it off, but I think there is going to be a standard model with the 3.6L V6 which will top out around $45k and the hybrid/diesel will have a 10k premium.

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
One article I read said it is capable of 33mpg city and 37mpg highway without the battery. Sounds good to me for $4500 savings.

Benjamin

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Tdi Jetta Mine, 2008 Jeep GC CRD, 2005 Passat TDi
By the time this comes to market and hopefully has a year or two to work out the bugs I will be in need of this. This is pretty much exactly what I was looking for in terms of drive train and size. I am worried about the price though like many have mentioned, and although the plugin looks great I would have a hard time paying $5k extra for such small range.

mpatel1080

TDI
JSW
I doubt they will sell the diesel alone it will not be powerful enough for a vehicle this size. This SUV will probably weigh the the same as the Touareg considering it is significantly bigger. Thy do not even offer the Touareg in Europe with a 4 cylinder diesel.

LRTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 16 GSW... Just the LR diesel now
As someone who cried in vain for the Passat to regain a wagon for my growing family, this will, if priced to compete properly in the market suit me just fine.

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
Where the heck did this thing come from?

-2.0 TDI
-Three rows
-89mpge
-35mpg combined
-39mpg hwy

Designed for the NA market. I fully expect it not to happen or cost $80,000.
They want to go against Explorer, Traverse etc. and build it in Chattanooga, so I'm sure it will be price competitive. TDI hybrid? Don't expect it to be there at launch....

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
The electric range is impressive.
The electric range is a function of the battery capacity, 9.8 kWh in this case and as such is a lot and therefore incredibly expensive. You will NOT see this capacity of battery making it to any production version being introduced in the foreseeable future. For comparison, a Nissan Leaf BEV has a 24 kWh battery and the bulk of the unsubsidized cost of the car is in the battery pack itself. Proportion 9.8 to 24 kWh and you can get an idea how much it would cost the OEM...

If there is ever a hybrid version of this car, it will have a system very similar to those employed in production in other models in the VAG group.

The transverse layout does not lend itself well to a 90° V6 TDI. It will be some variant of the 4-cylinder although I do wish for the return of a thoroughly modern R5 TDI.

Last edited:

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
they're saying mid 30's for starting price......
Just tell me when to show up at the dealer with my checkbook. Even just the pure TDI with no battery, I'll take it!

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
The transverse layout does not lend itself well to a 90° V6 TDI. It will be some variant of the 4-cylinder although I do wish for the return of a thoroughly modern R5 TDI.
The thing is, VAG has decided that a biturbo 4-cylinder is enough diesel for their large transverse vehicle customers (because you're not driving a Transporter very fast anyway), and if you want to go faster, you buy an Audi with a V6.

Annoyingly, looks like this thing has been styled such that slamming it to improve the aero (to make it more like a Passat Wagon, than a SUV) won't work well.

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB, 2003 NB, 2006 Touareg, 2015 Jetta, 2013 Beetle, 2013 Touareg
Yes you can get 6 in the seats, but then near zero luggage space, making the back row an either or choice, take kids, or luggage. I know that demographics show the average family with 0.9 kids now, and a sedan works great for them, but there are a lot of us over the average, but under needing a bus, sized families. I guess a Sprinter is an option, but the microbus concept seemed like it would work out as well. Haven't seen anything like it since.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Yes you can get 6 in the seats, but then near zero luggage space, making the back row an either or choice, take kids, or luggage. I know that demographics show the average family with 0.9 kids now, and a sedan works great for them, but there are a lot of us over the average, but under needing a bus, sized families. I guess a Sprinter is an option, but the microbus concept seemed like it would work out as well. Haven't seen anything like it since.
Most of the medium sized SUVs that have three rows of seating, don't have any luggage room. My brother-in-law had an expedition that with the back seat up, had about enough room for a few beach towels and a case of beer, in cans stood on end.

"Right type of vehicle built for the US market" He just doesn't say that the market will have moved on by the time this is actually commercialized.

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
They are talking on YouTube around 30,000 EURO's... But it will not be sold in Germany

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
I have 3 kids, currently ages 3/5/7. We've been through 3 minivans and now a Suburban all with quad buckets and 3rd row bench. Sometimes we take more people, grandma, kids friends, cousins, etc. I agree about the storage with all seats up. This needs a middle bench seat option for the flexability of 3 in middle and 1 or none in the back to utilize more cargo space. And include the velcro cargo blocks to secure stuff with half the 3rd row down.

Based on the NMS chassis, it should weigh about 500-700 pounds more than the Passat, so about 4000 pounds without the electric part. 295-ft-lb of torque should be plenty, as the competitors offer similar torque (but more HP) direct injection turbocharged gasoline engines.

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
The thing is, VAG has decided that a biturbo 4-cylinder is enough diesel for their large transverse vehicle customers (because you're not driving a Transporter very fast anyway)
It's also enough for the RWD, longitudinal engine Sprinter-sized Volkswagen Crafter and the Amarok pickup...

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No wonder VW won't bring us the Amarok. They think something like the crossblue hybrid is going to fulfill all of our needs, wants, and desires.

Sappington

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Chevy Volt now -- sold '03 Jetta Wagon :-(
Diesels get better MPG when they're warmed up, as opposed to cold, correct? Or is it not enough of a difference to matter?

What I'm thinking is while you're driving around on electric-only for the first 17 miles, is the engine running at all (and therefore warming up)? Or does it cold start when the electric runs out?

Or am I completely back-asswards on how these things work?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Diesels get better MPG when they're warmed up, as opposed to cold, correct? Or is it not enough of a difference to matter?
What I'm thinking is while you're driving around on electric-only for the first 17 miles, is the engine running at all (and therefore warming up)? Or does it cold start when the electric runs out?
Good question!

Dooglas

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta
You are certainly thinking about an important issue regarding any small diesel/electric hybrid. It is not just a matter of mileage, TDI diesels really want to operate at full engine temperature. Small diesels that run for extended periods at reduced engine temperature also build up carbon deposits and do not burn as clean. (that is why a VW TDI is not really a good choice if much of your use will be short trips of 3-5 miles in areas with lower temperatures in the fall through spring, i.e. trips to the grocery store and the like)