My Sweet Germexican Mistress

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
I'm really smitten with my VW TDI, despite the issues and the critics, it's my first one. I love the way it looks and life with it has been so far so good. I like taking photos of it and have taken many in general and for that driving game thread. So I thought others might enjoy a compiled galley of them. Hope ya like. :)

agxster

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 1.9 TDi DSG (Mk.V) 2008 - RIP
Looking good. Are you allowed to work without the white cab sign on the roof? If so might increase your mpg.

pleopard

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
What is going on in that second last photo? It looks as if the left rear wheel is off the ground hanging over a ledge?!

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and Wagon, GLS 5sp
Very good looking, BUUUUUUUUUT I would have gone with a red car and painted the opposite panels instead. Whatever has been painted are the parts most prone to rust and perforation, and I'm pretty sure the warranty on them is voided.

On the other hand, two coats of paint are much better protection against rust. :D

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Very good looking, BUUUUUUUUUT I would have gone with a red car and painted the opposite panels instead. Whatever has been painted are the parts most prone to rust and perforation, and I'm pretty sure the warranty on them is voided.

On the other hand, two coats of paint are much better protection against rust. :D
That car is brand new for 2011, how the heck do you know what parts (if any) are prone to rust? :confused:

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and Wagon, GLS 5sp
That car is brand new for 2011, how the heck do you know what parts (if any) are prone to rust? :confused:
I'm talking about the fenders and rocker panel. They're the closest to the ground and are more likely to get chipped and develop rust spots. Normally cars rust from the bottom up and not vis versa. But you're right, I can't tell where the model specific issues will arise, as the Mk6 is a new car.

solid19snake

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI 6MT (sold)
What is going on in that second last photo? It looks as if the left rear wheel is off the ground hanging over a ledge?!
I believe I saw this photo in one of his posts for "The Driving Game." I recall it saying something like "pic of your TDI on 3 wheels" or something like that.

ibexlatham

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta TDI 6spd - dead
I gotta ask... whats with the plunger stuck to the hood in the pic where you're blasting through the leaves? Seems like something interesting is going on there...

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
I like it! :D
Cool! Hope to see you in a couple-ish weeks!

Looking good. Are you allowed to work without the white cab sign on the roof? If so might increase your mpg.
Lol, no! Regulations ya see. I thought about how I might make/get a more aerodynamic one, but the car stands out in the fleet enough.

I believe I saw this photo in one of his posts for "The Driving Game." I recall it saying something like "pic of your TDI on 3 wheels" or something like that.
Yep! "simulated flex test" ;)

It's cheaper, quicker, easier, and cleaner to take a white car and paint bits red. Plus much of it is in replaceable area and plastic. Heck, you could straight swap a pre-painted fender (front wing) right on there. I may refresh the paint in 2017. The car is washed on average every 3 days or 600 miles, (more often than it is fueled) and much attention is payed in salt conditions and air temp. Also it's waxed an average of about every 75 days. It's usually so slick I can economize many washes with a simple $2 pay-n-spray, otherwise 98% are touchless autowash or by hand with a special wash mitt. Hoping one day to hit half a million rust-free miles. :rolleyes:

I gotta ask... whats with the plunger stuck to the hood in the pic where you're blasting through the leaves? Seems like something interesting is going on there...
That also comes from a challenge, and ever since then it is a running joke in the Picture Hunt Thread. :)

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
Some recent additions for your potential enjoyment! (Yes, most of them are "challenge" related :rolleyes:)

In East St. Louis, IL

Multi-cab order

?????

City Museum in St. Louis. There is a school bus hanging off the edge of the building!

Nationally-known soul food restaurant Sweetie Pies

Mayfair Hotel downtown St. Louis

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
Thanks guys! :)

Some spring detail II pics at about 119k mi. I bought her 2 two years ago yesterday!

And some other recent candy shots. ;)

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
119K and its an 11?? you will be the true test for the DSG and the car itself....keep us in the loop and how maintenance goes.....Hard miles being a taxi.....Curious why TDI over Prius for a cab? I hate those Prius cars but for tough duty they have proven themselves over and over.....Nicer to drive a Jetta obviously but was that the only reason?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It's a stick, and it looks/sounds/runs/drives pretty much like brand new still. Passed 120k a week or so back.

I've got a 2009 here now with 185k on the clock. :)

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Great pics but you should really go to the nicer neighborhoods in St Louis!

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Most of what I think of when someone mentions St Louis is National Lampoons Vacation where they got side tracked in East St Louis. I know it's not the same but still leaves an impression. The other thing is Anheiser-Busch, where they strain the beer through clydesdales! I grew up in Davenport, Iowa and wont drink the beer because I know what we put in the water!

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
Damn Dozen how many pic threads of your car do you have? lol
Just this one, really. :eek: It's just a highlight from pics compiled from amongst several thousand other posts in the other threads, placed neatly here in the forum's Jetta gallery.
The other thread is in the MK6 section, and favors the more "scientific exercise" angle. :) (I actually think I'm rather good at not starting very many threads.)

Great pics but you should really go to the nicer neighborhoods in St Louis!
Thanks, but the subject matter in the nicer neighborhoods isn't as interesting. :rolleyes:

Most of what I think of when someone mentions St Louis is National Lampoons Vacation where they got side tracked in East St Louis. I know it's not the same but still leaves an impression.
I always feel compelled to clarify this, even though it doesn't make us look any better. (Don't feel bad, even local fans of that film get this wrong :rolleyes:)
In NLV, they actually end up in the north side of the St Louis city proper, in Missouri. East St. Louis is actually in Illinois. North city is where 90% of our bad rap comes from. The whole "city" is only about 17% of "St. Louis" - there are many fine middle-class to afluent neighborhoods in St. Louis County. It's not as deadly as distorted FBI stats would have you believe. That is however, a funny and quotable scene. ;)

119K and its an 11?? you will be the true test for the DSG and the car itself....keep us in the loop and how maintenance goes.....Hard miles being a taxi.....Curious why TDI over Prius for a cab? I hate those Prius cars but for tough duty they have proven themselves over and over.....Nicer to drive a Jetta obviously but was that the only reason?
At the time it was the smallest car made into a cab in St. Louis. I even doubted they would allow it until I bugged them about it. Only rear shoulder room is a compromise over the big Vics and the FWD Impalas, read head and leg is the same. Who wants a Prius anyway? Didn't even consider it. The selling point was simply: German, diesel, stick-shift. THAT I had faith would hold up economically. SINCE I've put this on the fleet, there are now 10 Prii and even a Nissan Versa sedan, so the Jetta seems of decent size now compared to how small they go now. And yeah, this car is a job enhancer for sure, might as well enjoy that 1/3 of one's life!

The interior looks like it's holding up great! What do you clean the V-Tex with?

-J
Typically just a wrung-out hot water soaked terry cotton towel. Then occasionally treated with Meguiers Natural Shine. A super-plush microfiber towel (from Autozone) does wonders to maintain the appearence after that. Sucks up all the dust perfect without scratching.

If I take it a bit further, I'll put a little mild soap in the hot water, but then have to do a second fresh water rinse, dry, and immediate protectant.

It's a stick, and it looks/sounds/runs/drives pretty much like brand new still. Passed 120k a week or so back.
oilhammer attested! :D