SF Bay Area Help Needed

danielhf

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore...
I was wondering if anyone wanted to go for a ride and help take some VCDS logs with me.

I am new to the area and don't know where a good spot would be to do WOT runs in 3rd gear. A VCDS operator would also be very nice.

I live in Oakland, close to Lake Merritt.

WutGas?

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last Real Jetta Sedan
It is except for:

High taxes
High fuel prices
High electricity prices
High unemployment
CARB

But welcome to the CPR anyway from a Native Californian.
Yea...but you can go to the beach and ski all in the same day!

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Yea...but you can go to the beach and ski all in the same day!
After a 3 - 4 hour drive, maybe. Though I guess you could spend the morning at the beach, use the afternoon to drive up to the mountains, then ski at night. However, I'm not a snow person - had enough of it in Colorado and Germany.

WutGas?

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last Real Jetta Sedan
After a 3 - 4 hour drive, maybe. Though I guess you could spend the morning at the beach, use the afternoon to drive up to the mountains, then ski at night. However, I'm not a snow person - had enough of it in Colorado and Germany.
I was somewhat being sarcastic, Romad. Anytime the "greatness" of California is brought up by their proponents, it seems that the statement I made is always used.

I am indifferent either way really. Been to the Carlsbad/San Diego/La Jolla area numerous times and had a great time. Very beautiful out there. I have also had the pleasure (used very loosely) of working at Vandenberg AFB for a few weeks where I got to stay in Lompoc, CA. Talk about a night and day difference :)

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
I was somewhat being sarcastic, Romad. Anytime the "greatness" of California is brought up by their proponents, it seems that the statement I made is always used.

I am indifferent either way really. Been to the Carlsbad/San Diego/La Jolla area numerous times and had a great time. Very beautiful out there. I have also had the pleasure (used very loosely) of working at Vandenberg AFB for a few weeks where I got to stay in Lompoc, CA. Talk about a night and day difference :)
Ah, I thought you were referring to a TV ad I saw that shows how you could do that AND more if you bought the vehicle being advertised.

Of course the ad doesn't mention that the water is very cold at the time of year when the ski slopes are open! :D

Only driven through VAFB & Lompoc; never stationed there. Been to SD a couple of times, but only for a day or two.

Baumeister

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Beetle Convertible, '03 New Beetle TDI 5sp, '94 Audi Cabriolet(AFN swap in progress)
Just curious, danielhf, what's your registration/smog plan for your R-TDI?

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
In Southern Calif. you can do it in 2 hours.

Not born in California, just lived here since I was 4 years old.

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
I was wondering if anyone wanted to go for a ride and help take some VCDS logs with me.

I am new to the area and don't know where a good spot would be to do WOT runs in 3rd gear. A VCDS operator would also be very nice.

I live in Oakland, close to Lake Merritt.
I know a few roads in the area ...
Pm me when you are ready!

OnePutt

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf (Silver) | 2005 Jetta Wagon (Spice Red)
awesome...I am looking forward to seeing your car at one of the GTG's...

wanna do an AWD conversion on my car...sorry...haven't read through your thread...maybe you started with an R32...

Cool ride...

danielhf

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore...
I work in Fremont, let me know if you need some logging...
I was just in Fremont. I visited 034 Motorsports. That was amazing.

Will do! Thanks! I sorted the boost issue, but I would like to do some logging. I will get ahold of either of you depending on where I'm at. Thanks again!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danielhf

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore...
awesome...I am looking forward to seeing your car at one of the GTG's...

wanna do an AWD conversion on my car...sorry...haven't read through your thread...maybe you started with an R32...

Cool ride...
Thanks! Can't wait for a gtg. I was going to convert a wagon, but it's smarter and easier to start with an AWD car, so I converted an R32.

B100

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
Highway 4 between Pinhole and Martinez has some good stretches, you just have to time your run to synchronize with the LEO patrol schedule. I remember driving your Jetta that way on a fast run to get an engine-mounting bolt... :eek:

And Daniel, I am in south Berkeley, with VCDS and some tools, if you ever need a hand.

danielhf

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore...
Highway 4 between Pinhole and Martinez has some good stretches, you just have to time your run to synchronize with the LEO patrol schedule. I remember driving your Jetta that way on a fast run to get an engine-mounting bolt... :eek:

And Daniel, I am in south Berkeley, with VCDS and some tools, if you ever need a hand.
Awesome. Thanks! I moved into a place with no garage, so it's been a bit weird not having a place to work on the car. I've been doing everything outside, but I have no access to power. I'll definitely get ahold of you next time I need help.

Wish i was down there to go for a ride!
Since I'm on the West Coast now, maybe when I do a ported head and rods, the work could be done in Portland ;). I've never pulled a bottom end apart before.

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
How fast did you drive my car exactly?

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
Didn't they put the speed on the ticket you got in the mail? :D
I just got a ticket for an infraction in Italy, last March... :eek:
Well, I got plenty of tickets in the mail last year but that was for radar tickets in Italy and Switzerland! I am glad there is no such thing here yet ... ;)

Did the rental car company put the infraction charges on your credit card directly or did they pass on the driver's info? If the second is the case, just don't pay it and make sure not to rent from them again. What I usually do if I know that I did get caught by a radar, I will cancel my credit card as soon as the bill for the rental posts to the account ...

danielhf

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore...
I don't currently have any major issues with my car anymore, but I'm not really acquainted with any TDIers out here. It would be fun to meet up with all of you fine West Coast oil burners at some point. I have a very random work schedule, but I generally know it 2-3 weeks in advance.

Any takers?

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
Daniel, the next GTG is in march but if you want to do something before hand please let me us know and we can always go to the shooting range or go-karting.

danielhf

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore...
Daniel, the next GTG is in march but if you want to do something before hand please let me us know and we can always go to the shooting range or go-karting.
I'll definitely be at the next GTG, but I'm always game to meet new people and hang out. Both of those ideas sound fun! I'd be down for anything, even if its something as simple as grabbing some beers with some of you and getting familiar with "all y'all."

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
Anyone up for doing some 1am logging? How fast do you want to go Daniel?