Malone Econo tune CR cars

Jayg

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta 6MT-VW bought back as a lemon
Any first hand experience with the econo tune from Malone with these cars? It seems most people just get stage 1 -2 etc. While I'm not interested in any more power, I just want max mpg's, I'd like to see if there are some people out there with no mods except the econo tune and how it's working out for them.

Thanks!

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
There is a discussion about this exact same topic going on right now in the mkVI golf JSW area of the forum . Now stop wasting Internet and do a search next time !!!

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Any first hand experience with the econo tune from Malone with these cars? It seems most people just get stage 1 -2 etc. While I'm not interested in any more power, I just want max mpg's, I'd like to see if there are some people out there with no mods except the econo tune and how it's working out for them.

Thanks!
Expect to spend a lot of money to replace you entire exhaust system (this kind of kills the "economy" part). Also, removing Federally mandated emissions equipment is highly illegal and it will adversely effect how (and where) you can re-sell your car. You will not be able to sell the car to anyone who lives in a place with smog inspections of any kind. You might also keep in mind that just because you do not currently have smog inspections where you live, laws can (and do) change or you could move to another state where the rules are different.

Consider how many years you would have to drive the car with about 5 mpg improvement in mileage to pay off the cost of the exhaust system plus the tune. My guess would be the total cost would be well over $2,000 to do this "tune". How many miles would you have to drive to pay off this investment?

Have Fun!

Don

Jayg

Veteran Member
TDI
There is a discussion about this exact same topic going on right now in the mkVI golf JSW area of the forum . Now stop wasting Internet and do a search next time !!!

Alright, for some reason when I did search, that thread didn't come up. Maybe I was searching Jetta only. Thanks for your tact though.

Don,
I saw that you have to do a dpf delete and I just assumed you didn't need to replace the downpipe but the computer just electronically disable the dpf and the exhaust just "passed through" with no monitoring from the computer. I wouldn't want to do an eco tune and have to replace any of the exhaust components hardware.

Thanks

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I saw that you have to do a dpf delete and I just assumed you didn't need to replace the downpipe but the computer just electronically disable the dpf and the exhaust just "passed through" with no monitoring from the computer. I wouldn't want to do an eco tune and have to replace any of the exhaust components hardware.

Thanks
Your car has a DPF in place of a "downpipe". In other words a downpipe is what replaces the DPF. If you remove the DPF you should also remove the exhaust valve and 2 more catalysts. This means a whole new exhaust system. With no monitoring of the DPF by the computer, there would be no DPF regenerations. This means that the DPF would clog up with soot and totally block your exhaust relatively quickly. This would cause your engine to not run at all. A DPF delete is not something done only in software, it is a physical delete of a piece of hardware. The software changes are additional so that the DPF's sensors are ignored.

If you want your car to be anywhere legal, forget about the "econo tune".

Have Fun!

Don

Jayg

Veteran Member
TDI
Your car has a DPF in place of a "downpipe". In other words a downpipe is what replaces the DPF. If you remove the DPF you should also remove the exhaust valve and 2 more catalysts. This means a whole new exhaust system. With no monitoring of the DPF by the computer, there would be no DPF regenerations. This means that the DPF would clog up with soot and totally block your exhaust relatively quickly. This would cause your engine to not run at all. A DPF delete is not something done only in software, it is a physical delete of a piece of hardware. The software changes are additional so that the DPF's sensors are ignored.

If you want your car to be anywhere legal, forget about the "econo tune".

Have Fun!

Don
Perfect, that's what I was beginning to understand and that helps a lot.

jsf350

TDI
13 jetta tdi
stg 2 tune you need to remove dpf and put in a new down pipe...
600 for down pipe... 550 tune
i regularly get 50 mpg now..and i still drive the car pretty hard... no hyper miling bull ****

Brian's96TDIPASSAT

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI SEL 14 Passat SEL, bought back by VW 11 Golf TDI, bought back by VW 05 Passat TDI 96 Passat TDI, sold
I'm not sure how many miles folks are getting out of there DPF but I can do a DPF delete downpipe, no cat and a tune for under $1100. Cost of DPF?? What is the life expectancy of the DPF? I'm doing the stage 2 tune with buzzken DPF delete no cat option and keep the stock exhaust if and when I sell it.