Full mfd upgrade

deoncollins69

TDI
2011 jetta sedan 6spM
Im going to try and pull off the upgrade soon but need to pick some brains. I've found a 12 TDI Passat full mfd. it is from an automatic and my 11 Jetta is a 6spm. Not sure what issues might pop up or if a simple reprogram might cure it. I need the pin outs for both or access to a diagram for them. If this has been research let me know if not then here we go. I'll be the guinea pig if I can get some assistance from the minds that be. Issues? Canbus? Pin outs, to few to many? I can have the Passat cluster in hand this week.

Last edited:

deoncollins69

TDI
2011 jetta sedan 6spM
Passat tdi clutter pictures

Any one with Passat tdi cluster terminal pictures? If so please post them. Tried to get the cluster shipped today but alas some places actually close on holidays, unlike my company.

jkowalski

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Premium 6MT
^ The above link expresses doubts about GLI/Passat clusters, but says Polo cluster may work.

But, take a look at the UK and German Polo clusters: it doesn't have the nice display (I don't think so at least), and also lacks real fuel and coolant gauges.
Maybe the Passat/GLI will work with slight modification? (Pin-out, etc). The Polo cluster wouldn't be a step-up really.

http://www.volkswagen.de/de/models/..._medialist_0_mediaItems_medialist_mediaitem_2 (Germany)

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/#/new/polo-v/explore/gallery/multifunction-computer/ (UK)

kjake

Veteran Member
TDI
Gone!
^ The above link expresses doubts about GLI/Passat clusters, but says Polo cluster may work.

But, take a look at the UK and German Polo clusters: it doesn't have the nice display (I don't think so at least), and also lacks real fuel and coolant gauges.
Maybe the Passat/GLI will work with slight modification? (Pin-out, etc). The Polo cluster wouldn't be a step-up really.

http://www.volkswagen.de/de/models/..._medialist_0_mediaItems_medialist_mediaitem_2 (Germany)

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/#/new/polo-v/explore/gallery/multifunction-computer/ (UK)
Lots of info on MFD differences: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a5/multifunction-display-VW.htm

Basically, as I think others have found, upgrading the MFD or cluster will take a CECM upgrade and probably have to have a dealer do it to update the ODO reading.

deoncollins69

TDI
2011 jetta sedan 6spM
The cluster will be here Thursday as well as the leather wrapped steering wheel out of a premium Passat from the same place. I looked at cecm and I have 2plugs and both are black. Well see how it goes this weekend. I'll post some pics soon.

deoncollins69

TDI
2011 jetta sedan 6spM
you need to have the highline CECM. Get that from the passat too and you might be in the right direction!
Where is it on the Passat? Does the Passat have three plus or two? Plug and play or a programmable item? Looks like its vancom time for me! I'm assuming mine is a midline cecm. I'm also going to have a wiper stalk and leather wheel with left buttons up for grabs if anyone's interested. Later I'll put up my cluster.

Last edited:

mo_focus

Veteran Member
TDI
84 944
Where is it on the Passat? Does the Passat have three plus or two? Plug and play or a programmable item? Looks like its vancom time for me! I'm assuming mine is a midline cecm. I'm also going to have a wiper stalk and leather wheel with left buttons up for grabs if anyone's interested. Later I'll put up my cluster.
I'm guessing its on the same spot as the Jetta, the highline should have the 3 plugs.

deoncollins69

TDI
2011 jetta sedan 6spM
:) you guys are going To be so jealous

I received the cluster and the steering wheel last night. I'll have to order the ribbon for the right side buttons as they robbed the module out of the wheel and took the ribbon. I test fitted the cluster and I'll have to pull it down to the main board assembly and place it in the Jetta assembly. One last question before I take the last big step, is there any way to get the immobilizer code? I know it pops up on the RCD-510. I just need the code to input when it does pop up. I'm stoked to get this in. I've Got a line on a few more of these if this works.:D

deoncollins69

TDI
2011 jetta sedan 6spM
Any success?
Yes much succes. I have installed the cluster but still have to get it programmed. I am able to do everything till I try to start the car as it imobolized as soon as the keys try to communicate. I expected this. Shows the doors open, hood and many other features. I'm considering purchasing a Hex-USB+can so I can program the key fobs and set the rt up. I've got a picture of it installed. I'll catalog the process and post it up for a sticky. Looks like my tdi has a high line cecm. :D anyone in need of a high line cluster I've got 2!

Last edited:

deoncollins69

TDI
2011 jetta sedan 6spM
Any success?
Yes! The cluster displays everything it is supposed to up to the point you hit the key. I expected that as the imobolizer kicked in. It's time for a Hex-USB+can so I can set the mileage and the key fobs up. Looks like the tdi's have the highline cecm. I'll post the pictures and details as soon as I get my hands on the Ross-tech. I'm so looking forward to seeing this option work in a mkvi. I've got one left if anyone is interested.

mo_focus

Veteran Member
TDI
84 944
Yes much succes. I have installed the cluster but still have to get it programmed. I am able to do everything till I try to start the car as it imobolized as soon as the keys try to communicate. I expected this. Shows the doors open, hood and many other features. I'm considering purchasing a Hex-USB+can so I can program the key fobs and set the rt up. I've got a picture of it installed. I'll catalog the process and post it up for a sticky. Looks like my tdi has a high line cecm. :D anyone in need of a high line cluster I've got 2!
this is so weird! the high line CECM suppose to have 3 plugs, my 2011 Jetta TDI has only 2.

CDN TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Jetta 6MT, 1991 Turbo Diesel Jetta 5MT
this is so weird! the high line CECM suppose to have 3 plugs, my 2011 Jetta TDI has only 2.
The Low and High electrical systems are not the same as the High Line trim level and are not related. I know, it's very confusing and poor naming on Volkswagen's part.

The Low electrical system has two connectors on the BCM and the High electrical system has three connectors. All North American Jettas have the Low electrical system, but the GLI has the High electrical system.

The Low electrical system uses the BCM PQ25 and the High uses the BCM PQ35.

amd is the best

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Sedan DSG
Will the cluster from a 2010 Jetta TDI (MK6 Golf cluster) work in the MK6 Jetta? Wiring changes? Coding?

Pics!!!

Last edited:

mo_focus

Veteran Member
TDI
84 944
The Low and High electrical systems are not the same as the High Line trim level and are not related. I know, it's very confusing and poor naming on Volkswagen's part.

The Low electrical system has two connectors on the BCM and the High electrical system has three connectors. All North American Jettas have the Low electrical system, but the GLI has the High electrical system.

The Low electrical system uses the BCM PQ25 and the High uses the BCM PQ35.
Exactly! but the OP saying he has the highline CECM. When i looked at mine, it had the low line. (only 2 wires) OP has the TDI as well.

CDN TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Exactly! but the OP saying he has the highline CECM. When i looked at mine, it had the low line. (only 2 wires) OP has the TDI as well.
His profile says he's from Rantoul, Illinois, but people have been known to state fake info. If he has a NAR vehicle, then it has a low electrical system with BCM PQ25. If he's from outside of North America, then he could have a high electrical system with BCM PQ35, in which case the cluster swap will be successful.

We don't know the full extent to which his Full MFD is functioning or not functioning. It's possible that some functions work on it, but not all with the low electrical system. Until he gets the rest of the car in an operable state, no conclusions can be made about the cluster retrofit. We'll just have to wait and see what his outcome is.

amd is the best

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Sedan DSG
His profile says he's from Rantoul, Illinois, but people have been known to state fake info. If he has a NAR vehicle, then it has a low electrical system with BCM PQ25. If he's from outside of North America, then he could have a high electrical system with BCM PQ35, in which case the cluster swap will be successful.

We don't know the full extent to which his Full MFD is functioning or not functioning. It's possible that some functions work on it, but not all with the low electrical system. Until he gets the rest of the car in an operable state, no conclusions can be made about the cluster retrofit. We'll just have to wait and see what his outcome is.
Can you post the VW part numbers of each (PQ25 and PQ35) or explain where one can find those numbers?

Thanks!

CDN TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Can you post the VW part numbers of each (PQ25 and PQ35) or explain where one can find those numbers?

Thanks!
When you remove the BCM, the designation "BCM PQ25" is visible on the label. The part number for the Jetta is 5C0 937 086 C

deoncollins69

TDI
2011 jetta sedan 6spM

No fake info here! Trust me I'd rather be from some where else but to no avail I live here! As I stated stuff is working but I haven't had the cluster de-immobilized. My cecm Is bcm pq25 w/2plugs so I'd assume your correct it's a lowline the part number is 5c0937087c. I'm curious if I can just match the cluster as the miles are almost dead on. Any other thoughts? Is it possible to swap out the highline? Is the third plug just sensors that can be added or it an altogether differnt cecm? At least we are talking real data and not conjecture now.
Feed me info!

Btw the Passat steering wheel is totally different. The mounts for the buttons are set in different, the right side buttons ribbon cable runs to the drivers left hand buttons and tie in and then that ribbon ties back into the steering wheel module(which was not included with the wheel). If the module was included it could be possible to use but I'll never know. Anyone looking for a new Passat wheel?

Last edited:

CDN TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Is it possible to swap out the highline? Is the third plug just sensors that can be added or it an altogether differnt cecm?
The BCM for the Low electrical system and that of the High electrical system cannot be swapped. The pinouts are completely different and would require a complete rewiring of the entire vehicle. It is in fact completely different.

I'm surprised that your cluster even functions to the extent that it does. Does your cluster harness plug directly into the new cluster without any modification? If so, you may get lucky and it may just work when you get the car functioning.

CDN TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Btw the Passat steering wheel is totally different. The mounts for the buttons are set in different, the right side buttons ribbon cable runs to the drivers left hand buttons and tie in and then that ribbon ties back into the steering wheel module(which was not included with the wheel). If the module was included it could be possible to use but I'll never know. Anyone looking for a new Passat wheel?
The only Multifunction Steering Wheels that are compatible with the MK VI Jetta are those for GTI, GLI, Tiguan, and Scirroco.

deoncollins69

TDI
2011 jetta sedan 6spM
Well I took he car in today and asked about getting the key fob I purchase matched to the ca r as they promised when I bought it, replace a speaker that has already blown and while they were at it to program the cluster to the car. I explained that I had fmfd and that I would take the responsibility if it didn't work and pay them for the program. They pretty much refused. I again stated they had to run the immobilizer to match the key fobs anyways why not run it for the cluster and I would take all the risk. The reply was I'll ask the service manager but it's going to be no. Now what? If I could just get the immobilizer code my miles are good. If this were for my Denali clone I'd be done and bragging weeks ago. Some one here has to be smart enough and experienced enough to think this through. That isn't me but if a Vag-USB would be the start I'll buy one! Keeping my hopes up!