Black Diesel

arne487

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Golf TDI, '10 TDI Cup Jetta
Applying used motor oil as a fuel is generally a bad idea. I doubt that whatever "processing" he is doing will turn it into anything safe or legal to use.

SoKYTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL 4-door
I'd be awfully wary of this...

I checked out the guy's site (www.oiltofuel.com) and it sounds like a partial scam in that you have to buy the report in order to build your own processor. Probably someone has this information online somewhere as the process equipment should be similar across methods.

I would also wonder how this would affect the fuel system, particularly the injector pump and injectors, and I surely wouldn't run it in anything newer than a VE TDI. To quote from the site:
Black Diesel, like Biodiesel should be considered experimental fuel. If you choose to use the ideas offered here, you do so at your own risk. I cannot control the quality of your oil supply, the condition of your engine or the quality of your finished product and I will not be held responsible for damages of any kind. Consider this information for entertainment only.

I don't know if this applies to newer PD & up TDIs, but also:
Diesels with optical sensors can not use black diesel
If the fuel isn't clear enough to see through, I'd have to think that it isn't clear enough to do my fuel system any good.

But if anyone tries it & thinks it's okay based on observed UOA & engine wear measurements, I'd be willing to try it.

SoKYTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL 4-door
Applying used motor oil as a fuel is generally a bad idea. I doubt that whatever "processing" he is doing will turn it into anything safe or legal to use.
Not legal for anything but off-road use. No road taxes have been paid.

arne487

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Golf TDI, '10 TDI Cup Jetta
You can pretty easily pay taxes on homemade fuel. The biggest legal problem here is that you're burning a hazardous waste in your engine. Unless you're licensed to reclaim hazardous waste (and you actually take the hazard out of it), there's no way it's legal, even if you pay the taxes.

And beyond that, it's not a suitable fuel for a TDI.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Technically a "fuel additive" is anything "added" to fuel. So adding waste oil to regular D2 shouldn't require payment of taxes.

asolo

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
So you have this multi-thousand dollar vehicle upon which you depend every day....and you're going to put what into your tank? Oh, please.

Taxes aren't the first thing that come to mind.

WutGas?

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last Real Jetta Sedan
Technically a "fuel additive" is anything "added" to fuel. So adding waste oil to regular D2 shouldn't require payment of taxes.
Are you adding waste oil to the fuel, or creating fuel from the oil?

Genuinely asking as I can't get their web page to open.

Dankcorey22

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 ALH & 83 1.6 TD CY
I ran 15% used motor oil in my VE TDI and it killed my fuel temp sensor. But on the other hand I have an old 83 jetta IDI and it loves used motor oil 40-50% ! And has been for 15,000+ miles. Then I have a deuce and a half that runs 100% used motor oil. Have not been stopped once...

Casio Commando using tap talk

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Are you adding waste oil to the fuel, or creating fuel from the oil?

Genuinely asking as I can't get their web page to open.
Looks like he is advocating making fuel from the oil. He does put a disclaimer about road taxes at the bottom. Are you going to http://www.oiltofuel.com/ that is mentioned in the craigslist page?

naturist

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2005 Jeep Libby CRD, 2012 BMW X5 35d
Old technology diesels, say WWII vintage through the mid-80s could burn nearly anything: used motor oil, waste cooking grease, sawdust, old tires, all you had to do was grind 'em up fine enough to go through a window screen.

Try those things in modern diesels, particularly small diesels (like, gosh, your TDI!), and you are bound for disaster.