problems removing oil filter housing

bluesmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd 5 speed tip
so I purchased this tool from Kerma

http://www.kermatdi.com/servlet/the-7425/Specialty-Socket-for-Oil/Detail

the problem I am having is that the tool sits flush on the oil filter cap, leaving zero clearance for the 3/8 drive, if I attach the drive to the tool it slips on the oil filter cap making removal impossible

what I am doing wrong

here is a picture of the tool on the cap (note no clearance)

http://pics.tdiclub.com/showgallery.php?cat=5664

BTW Kerma customer service has been great (this thread is not a complaint but a cry for help , lol)

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
My oil cap wrench does the same thing. The oil filter socket can't sit flush on the cap, split it about 50/50 (halfway up the socket) and try it.

bluesmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd 5 speed tip
My oil cap wrench does the same thing. The oil filter socket can't sit flush on the cap, split it about 50/50 (halfway up the socket) and try it.

it worked!

i wrapped the filter cap with masking tape, took a twist and it became loose:)

thanks Bob!

and oil extractors are awesome, I was amazed at how much oil was left in the filter and oil cooler after the pan was drained, at least in my opinion the extractor took out far more oil than if i dropped the belly pan and took out the pan bolt

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
it worked!

i wrapped the filter cap with masking tape, took a twist and it became loose:)

thanks Bob!

and oil extractors are awesome, I was amazed at how much oil was left in the filter and oil cooler after the pan was drained, at least in my opinion the extractor took out far more oil than if i dropped the belly pan and took out the pan bolt
Glad it worked. I do wish the design was different so the wrench can fit flush and socket is fully inserted.

Regarding how much you get oil, our own Scurvy measured, you DO get more out topside (when also sucking the oil cooler) than just draining. You get the most draining and sucking out the oil cooler, of course.

playback

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I just had an issue with the oil filter cap. I ended up getting the plastic version of the filter wrench, and the cap was on so tight that wrench would just flex and skip onto the next set of flutes around the cap.

Ended up taking a pipe wrench to it to break it lose. :\