2006 TDI intermittant Stalling

numbah37

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I did a search, but only found threads where people are reporting similar problems....no fixes.

My Jetta stalls intermittently when I am down shifting/coming to a stop. I can restart the car once I get stopped and you'd enver know it happened at all.....until the next time! Sometimes it'll happen more then once on the same day...other times it'll be days in between.

Has anyone else had simialr issues? Fixes for this?

Barnitz

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
5-speed or Manual?

If you just bought the car and didn't get any maintenance records it's probably a good idea to give it a once over and tune up.

Personally I would change the oil, change the fuel filter, check all other fluids, tire pressure, brakes, check cam for wear, check for oil in turbo piping, listen carefully for DMF noise, check spare tire, check for tool kit in trunk, check jack. Basically give everything a good look and make sure nothing seems out of place.

If it still has the stalling problem after the check-up perhaps it's time to locate your nearest Guru.

doug1976

TDI
2006 JETTA
Stalling on 2006 Jetta TDI

I'm having identical problem. Let me know if you find a solution and I'll do the same. Mine dies when coasting to a stop with clutch pushed in. Otherwise runs fine. I'll check with Vagcom this week and start changing parts until solved. I'm starting with the lift pump in the fuel tank and will work forward.

Symptoms finally got so bad that I had car towed to mechanic. He proceeded to change filter and pressure regulator. No improvement. Had wife drop off a spare OEM lift pump I was saving and the stalling went away. To give the mechanic some credit (Keaton at VW Autoworks - Friendswood, TX) - he discovered that everytime the car stalled, the fuel filter wasn't completely full. Glad that nonsense is history.

Last edited:

bmccrea

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Golf TDI Wolfsburg, '10 Touareg TDI
I'll throw in my 2 cents...

Mine was the same. Ended up being electrical. Got bad enough that the cluster would flash the glow plug light and oil pressure light, show 0 rpm, but the speedo worked. There were a couple broken wires in the wiring harness near the ecu.

These cars can be bad for wire chafing (rubbing) due to the wiring be run too tightly. I know a few that don't have any issues, however mine has been bad for this. Normal driving and engine vibration causes movement in the harness beneath the loom causing the wires to rub together. This wears the insulation off the wires and causes shorts.... which may be your stalling problem.

Ours would randomly shut down while driving, or even sitting at lights etc.

Initially the problem for ours was the engine speed sensor at the crank... the ecu wasn't seeing it so it would stall the engine out as the computer thought it was shut off... however if it kept running you'd eventually see a code stored and a check engine light on.

Anyway, its all worth a check. There is an open thread in the MK5 section now for it:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=138217&page=7&highlight=harness

Good luck!