Real World MPG with DSG

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Not a ton, but some. Mine typically shows 1-2 MPG high over the course of a full tank, but can be more in smaller amounts.

Niner

duplicate account, banned
Mines been off 2 to 5 MPG, though I think the SOB dealership shorted me at least 2.25 to 2.5 full gallons on it's first fillup, as soon as it shut the handle, that was the end of their idea of a full tank. There's just no way I went 140 miles on my first fillup myself on 5.5 gallons. Probably burned just under 3 gallons on the drive home from the dealership.

I just used VCDS to adjust mine to 105% from 100% to see if theres now a closer match to pen and paper.

Niner

I promise ya, if one of these dies on any of ya out of warranty, Compu and VeeDub... it's gonna for sure be a $7000 dual sh*t gearbox. Just ask TheBigArniedog. :p

big_ole_truck

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 VW Passat TDI SEL
If the computer is off by 1 mpg on either side, that's good enough for me.

Has anyone achieved 50+ mpg with their DSG equipped Passat? I'm not including those people that hypermile or run only downhill with a strong tailwind on their backs.

Niner

If the computer is off by 1 mpg on either side, that's good enough for me.

Has anyone achieved 50+ mpg with their DSG equipped Passat? I'm not including those people that hypermile or run only downhill with a strong tailwind on their backs.
I'd say under spring conditions with no A/C running and at 65 mph, 45-46 MPG on a 6 DSG in the TDI SE version with 17" tires/rims would be doing nicely. The folks I see on Fuelly.com with DSG's which is most of them, are with fancy SEL's with 18's, which in the past, has put the hurt of 2 to 3 MPG on TDI's. YMMV, these are my observations on Fuelly.com, I have no idea how fast or where or how they drive their passats.

Summer time, A/C and going faster will all eat into your mpg's. I'd think folks in Rocky Mtn states with higher elevation and less drag, as well as good fuel from high aromatic crude oil could do better. I've seen it too many times, too consistently for it to be a fluke.

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
My MFI was showing 48mpg for the first 100 miles the day I bought my Passat and drove 300 miles home. Mostly 55-65mph. Then I properly broke it in.

I have seen as high as 47mpg on my mixed commmute on MFI Average 1, 10 miles of secondary roads with traffic lights and 13 miles of 60-80mph freeway.

Last edited:

Niner

My MFI was showing 48mpg for the first 100 miles the day I bought my Passat and drove 300 miles home. Mostly 55-65mph. Then I properly broke it in.

I have seen as high as 47mpg on my mixed commmute on MFI Average 1, 10 miles of secondary roads with traffic lights and 13 miles of 60-80mph freeway.
Was that Consumption 1, which is for the trip, or Consumption 2, which is what we are interested in, which is for the whole tank, or whole Route?

I've had Consumption 1 show over 60 MPG, but I've never even come close to that for a tank, or Consumption 2. My best tank has been 52.5 MPG over 400 miles.

A proper break in is by the manufacturers book or by the Owners Manual, not by internet hearsay. ;)

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
Was that Consumption 1, which is for the trip, or Consumption 2, which is what we are interested in, which is for the whole tank, or whole Route?
I've had Consumption 1 show over 60 MPG, but I've never even come close to that for a tank, or Consumption 2. My best tank has been 52.5 MPG over 400 miles.
A proper break in is by the manufacturers book or by the Owners Manual, not by internet hearsay. ;)
When my car had 100 miles on it, average consumption 1 and 2 were the same. My speed increased from about 60mph consistent to lots of 70-triple digit mph bursts, per the owners manual recommendations of varying speeds. :)

All my average tanks are documented at Fuelly. Never had a tank over 40mpg. Plenty of 25 mile Ave1 over 45mpg, though. My MFI seems to be reading about 2% higher than pen and paper, Fuelly. I never expect to drive 800 miles on a single tank in this vehicle. It's the city run-around vehicle. Not fun for 3/4/7 year olds sitting together.

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
I'd say under spring conditions with no A/C running and at 65 mph, 45-46 MPG on a 6 DSG in the TDI SE version with 17" tires/rims would be doing nicely. The folks I see on Fuelly.com with DSG's which is most of them, are with fancy SEL's with 18's, which in the past, has put the hurt of 2 to 3 MPG on TDI's. YMMV, these are my observations on Fuelly.com, I have no idea how fast or where or how they drive their passats.

Summer time, A/C and going faster will all eat into your mpg's. I'd think folks in Rocky Mtn states with higher elevation and less drag, as well as good fuel from high aromatic crude oil could do better. I've seen it too many times, too consistently for it to be a fluke.

You can get 45 at 70 with A/C in my experience in our SE w/DSG. I would say thought that it could depend how hard the A/C is working most the time though. For our car it coools quickly then doesn't have to run that hard to keep it at 71 deg.

I have no idea what it would be at 55 as I don't have a death wish. :cool:

Last I knew the lifetime over 6400 miles for the car was 40.1 mpg, with only one tank low enough to make my wife pissed that we got 38. She told me I drive HER car too fast. :p

Last edited:

eprater1

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI w/DSG(transmission failed w/800 miles on it) 2012 Passat SE w/Sunroof -65k traded in on 2013 Passat TDI SE w/Sunroof 2006 Ford F350 on 37's, few things deleted, little methanol injection, few things modded, few more filters added :)
just did a 712 mile trip on 13.84 gallons :) 51.44MPG. was about 85% hwy and 15% city/driving around plants. i did take it pretty easy on the intersates and kept it around 70-72 also fell in behind semis when possible. i have about 34k on the odometer, running the stock hankooks w/17" wheels, A/C was on 95% of the time, trip was from Spartanburg SC to Panama City FL back over towards Jacksonville then home. one thing that i know hurt me on the trip is weight. i have prob 40lbs of clothes, 40lbs of golf gear, 30lbs of work gear, 150 lbs of sound system and im no light weight @ 240lbs.

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
just did a 712 mile trip on 13.84 gallons :) 51.44MPG. was about 85% hwy and 15% city/driving around plants. i did take it pretty easy on the intersates and kept it around 70-72 also fell in behind semis when possible. i have about 34k on the odometer, running the stock hankooks w/17" wheels, A/C was on 95% of the time, trip was from Spartanburg SC to Panama City FL back over towards Jacksonville then home. one thing that i know hurt me on the trip is weight. i have prob 40lbs of clothes, 40lbs of golf gear, 30lbs of work gear, 150 lbs of sound system and im no light weight @ 240lbs.
Dang good mpg's, can't complain about that at all.

Ace Deprave

Veteran Member
TDI
Former owner of a 2012 Passat SE TDI (traded for a 2015 Golf R)
Just road tripped with my daughter and our luggage from Lake Charles, LA to Denver, CO and back with city and mountain driving while there, and A/C on all the time. MPGs for trip were 42.3, 41.8, 42.2, 44.2, and 43.4. See my fuelly sig for more details.

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Just completed a 1,000 mile ring around south Texas. 100 degrees plus and A/C on the whole time cruising at 75-80 with our worst mileage to date - 36 mpg. Still happy to be Sammy Hagar and get that mileage. :D

TDI_Ryan

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Just completed a 1,000 mile ring around south Texas. 100 degrees plus and A/C on the whole time cruising at 75-80 with our worst mileage to date - 36 mpg. Still happy to be Sammy Hagar and get that mileage. :D
Nice.

Papachristou

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Passat SE DSG
Took our first "little" trip across the city in the DSG this weekend. Car just has about 500 miles on it, i set the cruise at 70 the whole way and only got off it a few times for traffic. Odometer said 48.5mpg.

Ace Deprave

Veteran Member
TDI
Took our first "little" trip across the city in the DSG this weekend. Car just has about 500 miles on it, i set the cruise at 70 the whole way and only got off it a few times for traffic. Odometer said 48.5mpg.
Have you checked it by hand? My MFI is always optimistic, and it varies by how much. Here are MFI and actuals from my trip:

MFI - 46.1
Actual - 42.3

MFI - 42.9
Actual - 41.8

MFI - 47.7
Actual - 44.2

MFI - 45.5
Actual - 43.4

Last edited:

Papachristou

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Passat SE DSG
No, it is her car so i doubt she will be checking the MPG that close. i used to be a fuel calculating **** when i had my jetta. Probably be buying an a3 tdi or golf tdi for myself in the next year or two. The only issue is you cant get the a3 with a manual trans.....

Papachristou

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Passat SE DSG
^ touche! Coming from an a4 and s4 i fully appreciate quattro and its negligible impact on MPG. My a4 would get 30-34mpg if i drove her right.

ColoradoDriver

Veteran Member
TDI
Previously: 2012 Candy White Passat TDI SEL. Sold back to VW. Now: Only gas vehicles, including 2017 Passat V6 SEL Premium
Have you checked it by hand? My MFI is always optimistic, and it varies by how much. Here are MFI and actuals from my trip:
MFI - 46.1
Actual - 42.3
MFI - 42.9
Actual - 41.8
MFI - 47.7
Actual - 44.2
MFI - 45.5
Actual - 43.4
Why not buy a VCDS cable and adjust the MFI displayed MPGs? Once you get it set you will not have to bother to keep checking manually--which inserts lots of errors with just how full you fill the tank.

Ace Deprave

Veteran Member
TDI
Why not buy a VCDS cable and adjust the MFI displayed MPGs? Once you get it set you will not have to bother to keep checking manually--which inserts lots of errors with just how full you fill the tank.
I plan to, but right now, buying school supplies for my daughter takes priority.

I'm going to continue to check manually (via fuelly), though...as you can see by those numbers, the percentage that it is incorrect varies. That also gives me reporting capability, which the MFI does not.

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
The percentage should not vary and I think most of us have experienced that the MFI gives consistent results, albiet optimistic. Are you filling up at the same pump every time? Trying to determine if there is some sort of error being introduced by not being able to get the tank all the way full...

Ace Deprave

Veteran Member
TDI
The percentage should not vary and I think most of us have experienced that the MFI gives consistent results, albiet optimistic. Are you filling up at the same pump every time? Trying to determine if there is some sort of error being introduced by not being able to get the tank all the way full...
The variances were on a road trip from Louisiana to Colorado and back. I tried to make sure the car was level each time, pumped as slowly as possible, stopped at the first click/cutoff, and could see fuel in the filler neck each time.

Now that I'm back home, I'll continue to monitor to see how far off it is.