New Yellow labels for Passat TDIs?

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
Did you all get the mailing from VW to apply the placards of a yellow ring around the fuel cap that says "Diesel Only, No Gasoline"? As well as two stickers to apply to the door and bottom of filler nozzle area?

Does VW really need to tell people NOT to use GASOLINE in a DIESEL car? Wonder why they did not use the Green caps like in the past.

Knarrly Viking

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE 6MT, 2 of them!
Yep. Got it in the mail today. Funny thing is, it was addressed to my wife, even though the car is in both my and her name. Coincidence?

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
Yep, I got them too....maybe they figure a fair number of those HPFP failures could have been avoided with the new yellow stickers...lol

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Let's not turn this thread into a repeat of that thread. Pics of the install and reasonable discussion. No HPFP doom and gloom or comments on how VW handles failure repairs! :)

ColoradoDriver

Veteran Member
TDI
Previously: 2012 Candy White Passat TDI SEL. Sold back to VW. Now: Only gas vehicles, including 2017 Passat V6 SEL Premium
My only issue with the yellow collar around the fuel cap is that it makes it difficult to place the cap on the cap holder while fueling and still be able to insert the nozzle.

dcc

Veteran Member
Yep. Got it in the mail today. Funny thing is, it was addressed to my wife, even though the car is in both my and her name. Coincidence?
Thats because your wife actually owns alot of more of your stuff than you think...:D

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
You've got to be kidding me... They put it on the cap? I was sure the ring was meant to go over the filler neck (behind the cap), not on the cap. Please tell me I'm not wrong. This is beginning to feel every so slightly insulting.
Agreed - I thought it was supposed to go around the neck, not the cap.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
This one looks like it is around the neck and not on the cap:

TDI-BZ

TDI
2012 TDI Passat 6MT
I have seen (3) Passat on flatbeds because of Women on their cell phones while putting "gas" into their TDI's.

Gotta remember with the Passat, it is a HUGE crossover car for VW. We are selling more TDI Passats to 1st time VW buyers then anything else. People that have driven gas SUV's or Toyotas and Hindas are buying Passats now. They are on cruise control (literally) when the go to their gas station to get "gas".

a Soild part of my reatil delivery in going over deiesel fueling and emergency procedures of you contaminate your fuel system.

Niner

duplicate account, banned
Let them pay for the repairs out of pocket, maybe they'll shut up and drive,er refuel instead. We have a society that has learned no accountability for their actions, or in actions.
One "refuels", what that fuel is, is up to the driver to decide. Make a bad decision, pay for it. VW has had this problem since the common rail tdi jetta came out in 2009, it's taken them 4 years to address it? :eek:

TDI-BZ

TDI
2012 TDI Passat 6MT
Let them pay for the repairs out of pocket, maybe they'll shut up and drive,er refuel instead. We have a society that has learned no accountability for their actions, or in actions.
One "refuels", what that fuel is, is up to the driver to decide. Make a bad decision, pay for it. VW has had this problem since the common rail tdi jetta came out in 2009, it's taken them 4 years to address it? :eek:

While I don't disagree with you 100%, VW does. reaching the goal of 880,000 new units a year in the USA, means you have to appease a few chuckleheads. I am willing to bet that next year VW wont pay anymore.

Selling cars is much, much more than selling cars. Everyone knows invoice, thinks they know what their trade is worth, thinks they know what interest rate they deserve, etc....... I say almost daily that the amount of info availabe to most people actually makes it harder for them to buy car. I am waiting for the glorious day when them pull the invoices off of the internet. (it is coming:D)

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
All the people I seen driving on automatic every day, making unconscious stupid moves.....how is this not going to carry over to fueling? If VW provided a Deutsche gnome to ride in that fuel filler door and scream "Nein! Nein!" when someone brought the 87UL nozzle near, there would still be people whose heads would be on Planet Nine and just think "What the hell is that noise?" or "Why can't they hire employees at this station who speak English?" And they'd just fill 'er up with gasoline. And you know what? It'd be their fault. Because it's their responsibility. I like to say that kind of thing as much as I can, before we will be arrested and charged with spoiling the self-esteem of the terminally stupid.

Ace Deprave

Veteran Member
TDI
Former owner of a 2012 Passat SE TDI (traded for a 2015 Golf R)
You've got to be kidding me... They put it on the cap? I was sure the ring was meant to go over the filler neck (behind the cap), not on the cap. Please tell me I'm not wrong. This is beginning to feel every so slightly insulting.
Agreed - I thought it was supposed to go around the neck, not the cap.
I thought so too, until I read the instructions...horrible.

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
Got the stickers yesterday. My wife laughed. I told her I was going to file them with my paperwork and not put them on my car. There are already notifications about ULSD and diesel only on the cap.

I agree with BZ as the Passat is a big conquest vehicle and the TDi as well.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
Got the stickers yesterday. My wife laughed. I told her I was going to file them with my paperwork and not put them on my car. There are already notifications about ULSD and diesel only on the cap.

I agree with BZ as the Passat is a big conquest vehicle and the TDi as well.
It's not about you. It is for the idiot after you. Think of the car, not the person.

Why allow a great car to be destroyed because you chose not to do this?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.

I guess by putting it on the cap, that you will take notice of it better. It's something in your hand instead of in the background.

shelbydog25

TDI
2012 DSG Passat SE
the attached letter from VW that came with the instructions indicates its for those who may borrow the car or the gas station attendant. this may be the main reason as to unfamiliarity for those "temporary users" that a car would actually take diesel.

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
You might as well paint the entire car safety yellow and put a flashing neon sign on the top that says "I'm with Stupid" pointing at the right rear (right where you'd be standing to refuel...)

The stickers are one thing, but this is idiotic, sorry... :rolleyes:

Niner

duplicate account, banned
All the people I seen driving on automatic every day, making unconscious stupid moves.....how is this not going to carry over to fueling? If VW provided a Deutsche gnome to ride in that fuel filler door and scream "Nein! Nein!" when someone brought the 87UL nozzle near, there would still be people whose heads would be on Planet Nine and just think "What the hell is that noise?" or "Why can't they hire employees at this station who speak English?" And they'd just fill 'er up with gasoline. And you know what? It'd be their fault. Because it's their responsibility. I like to say that kind of thing as much as I can, before we will be arrested and charged with spoiling the self-esteem of the terminally stupid.
You are correct, I should change my name to Nein!r LOL... What part of "no" don't you understand? You can't fix stupid. That includes people that should be giving driving their 100% attention, not talking on a smart phone or texting messages. They should give flammable or hazardous materials while fueling the same amount of attention... 100%. Some of America needs to shut up, sometimes. Around here, I have seen more motorcyclists hit by soccer moms in big SUV's talking on the phone instead of driving. It's a sign of the times. Women can be such drama queens.

Years ago, as a young man, I saw guns with huge bright yellow tags hanging off of the trigger guards sitting new in the rack at stores. Does it help? You tell me. VW does it to protect themselves from lawsuits from stupid people. Darwin would be disappointed that stupid species are not removed through natural selection from the gene pool.

Last edited:

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
It's not about you. It is for the idiot after you. Think of the car, not the person.

Why allow a great car to be destroyed because you chose not to do this?
I said I filled my stickers with the paperwork that goes to the next owner. I go through all the paperwork I have when I sell the vehicle.

I agree the stickers are pointless. The letter is fine with specific misfuel issue not covered by warranty. However, anyone that will ignore the original labels will also ignore 3 more stickers.

CNNPress

TDI
12 Passat TDi
VW should make a digital label that comes with flashing LED warning sign saying DIESEL ONLY. I mean, DAS AUTO.

dachman1

TDI
2012 Passat SEL TDi
With the yellow ring going over the cap, will the cap still fit in the hole in the door hinge arm when fueling? From the pictures on the directions, it looks like it might be a tight fit.