Found the Speed Limiter

Autobahnner

TDI
'12 Golf TDI w/ Tech Pkg
My US-spec Golf finally has 7500 miles on it so I decided it's broken in enough to push it to the speed limiter: 122mph/196kph. That's on flat and downhill slopes. You can actually feel the ECU take the throttle control away from you so it's not drag-induced.

Anyways, I'm happy to report the car handles pretty darn well between 100-115mph, where I held it for almost an hour yesterday. (I passed a newer Porsche 911, which felt really odd...) Fuel economy wasn't too bad, with the dash showing between 21-29 at warp speed.

specsalot

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none
Nice - Lots of Porsche owners never unfurl the sails of their garage queens. I'm sure the drivers slouched down in their seat after you blew by.

I was driving home from Daytona running up I-95 going speed limit. Some JO in a Ferrari blew past and pulled in right in front of me slowing down. My 220 HP 2.5L I4 is no match for that Italian. But I dropped 2 gears, and went PTTM (petal to the metal). He stayed right on my bumper until I was north of $130. The 951 is good for an honest $150. He faded away in the rear view. I felt bad for the guy - getting his bluff called. No doubt his passenger was throwing a fit... Or he way staining his jocky shorts.

One thing about German Iron - It will run all day at triple digits just loving it.

Last edited:

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
I frequently do the florida i95 run. Every now and then there is a pack, or single exotic doing some serious mph. Crazy state. Following one pack, I found out the top end on the Jetta (about 115,stock). They still were way faster... And that was the middle of the night.

specsalot

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none
I remember rolling into Miami one night (close to midnight) on my R1. Just keeping up with traffic. Looked down at the speedo - Everyone was rolling 100 - FL can be crazy. I've also seen mass ticketing.

fastalan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
Is it possible that the top speed on the US spec TDIs are tuned down a bit since VW had to keep in mind the fuel quality in NA just aren't as good as those available in Germany and western Europe. At 120mph, the rpm is high for this diesel engine, European fuel (GTL blend) with its higher cetane can maintain a more stable and higher quality combustion environment for the engine at high speed.

Last edited:

canux

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDI
Is it possible that the top speed on the US spec TDIs are tuned down a bit since VW had to keep in mind the fuel quality in NA just aren't as good as those available in Germany and western Europe. At 120mph, the rpm is high for this diesel engine, European fuel (GTL blend) with its higher cetane can maintain a more stable and higher quality combustion environment for the engine at high speed.
I'm afraid that it is probably not as scientific as that. What speed rating were the stock tires on your TDI? It used to be that the tire rating was what determined your speed limiter. I wouldn't be surprised if that was still the case.

specsalot

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none
I would bet more on tires being the predominant factor. According to the VW SSP, the engine controller looks at cylinder pressures and has the ability to tune to compensate for engine wear. If it can do this, it probably also responds to variations in fuel ignition quality. Even though these are separate issues (engine wear and fuel ignition delay), the both impact firing pressure and exhaust temperature. The engine controller looks at these parameters all the time.

Last edited:

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
TDIs have gotten H-rated (130 MPH) tires for many many years. That's why most (all?) US models are limited to 130 MPH.

Dariof

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI
Nice - Lots of Porsche owners never unfurl the sails of their garage queens. I'm sure the drivers slouched down in their seat after you blew by.

One thing about German Iron - It will run all day at triple digits just loving it.

I had mine up to just over 160 the other day. :eek: Man does the road (this road was empty...no cars or side streets at all) go by quickly at that speed. Top speed is supposedly 188 on the Carrera S. I believe it.

sledstorm1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Tdi 4dr 6mt
I know I have seen 125 on the speedo two or three times. This might only be 122 by gps. What gear were you in? I know I have tried it in both 5 and 6. I have a manuel.

ToeBall

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Wagon TDI
Early JSW's were limited at 133, more rescently, VW started limiting their cars to 122 mph, and that includes the Golf R. My JSW has the limiter bumped to 155 mph and the R has the limiter completely removed.

cd_booth

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
sledstrom1 said:
I know I have seen 125 on the speedo two or three times. This might only be 122 by gps. What gear were you in? I know I have tried it in both 5 and 6. I have a manuel.
I have a DSG and was in 6th gear. It showed 115 mph on the speedometer and 115 mph on the MFI (digital speedometer). I wasn't tracking it with my GPS at the time but I have on other occasions and my speedometer is accurate (at least at legal speeds).

VeeDubTDI said:
Yes it does. :)
Thanks. :cool: See you at the GTG this weekend.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Indeed! I can't wait. Get on the Rocketchip list nice and early. :)

ctnatureboy

Veteran Member
TDI
mk7 Golf R 6MT
I noticed that my steelies are dirty because I saw a clean whiteness mark just outside where the valve stem is. Apparently on one of my gumball runs the other day the long rubber stems were flexing and laying down against the rim under the centrifugal force from the higher speed. Lucky they are brand new. Old dry ones would have probably just broken off... Time for some REAL rims (and valve stems)

Last edited:

No More Buffalo

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: 2015 Golf SEL 6m Sold: 2012 Golf 2dr DSG
Y'all are braver than I am. Fastest I've had mine is a GPS measured 97, on back roads near work. Seemed reasonably happy at that speed, although I didn't maintain it. (Was about a one mile stretch of road with trees down boths sides and curves at both ends - NC state troopers aren't known for their sense of humor, so no interstate blasts for me.

QuitersLOSE14

TDI
2010 MK6 Golf TDI

I was driving home from Daytona running up I-95 going speed limit. Some JO in a Ferrari blew past and pulled in right in front of me slowing down. My 220 HP 2.5L I4 is no match for that Italian. But I dropped 2 gears, and went PTTM (petal to the metal). He stayed right on my bumper until I was north of $130. The 951 is good for an honest $150. He faded away in the rear view. I felt bad for the guy - getting his bluff called. No doubt his passenger was throwing a fit... Or he way staining his jocky shorts.

Its not a big deal, but you meant 2.5L I5 right, unless you have some special car ay?

BoilerBrad

TDI
2013 Touareg Sport
Got mine up to 128 on the FL turnpike a little over a year ago, but it took a long time to get there and really didn't want to go any faster in 5th or 6th gear.

CBRacerX

TDI
JSW 2010

Spend many an hour with the limiter in effect on the autobahn. And autostrada ;)

As a p-car owner, I must take issue with your comment though - the sails are unfurled VERY often when the garage queen is released. And in Deutchland, I also hit the limiter on rented p-cars (155 mph).

specsalot

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none
Its not a big deal, but you meant 2.5L I5 right, unless you have some special car ay?
I was referring to my 944 Turbo (951). It's got a 2.5 liter inline 4 cylinder. Mine is stock and the non-S version. Still a decent ride for what was a GT style car back in 1988. Intercooled turbo motor. Engine up front transaxle in back connected by a high speed drive shaft. Always liked the lines of the car. Drive train is reliable if you can avoid the classic issues. Not as refined as the 97 Boxsters I had. But a classic in its own right.

The silky torque of my Golf gets the most grins these days. Stealthy and snappy.
Would it give my 944 a run for the money? In the twisters I have no doubt it would. Pushed really hard I think (stock) the Porsche would have an edge.

I have to say that my Golf ride (quality and handling), was the biggest surprise. It's what sold the car. The TDI motor is a developed taste. All bottom end. I'll bet the tuned ones are smoking. I'm sure the Golf would love triple digit cruising all day if you want to run the risks and pay the freight. That's what Germans build.

Made a speed run Austin - Biloxi in my Boxster. Top down 1-10 August rolling right around $100 all the way. Diesels love to run hard. Golf would do it no worries. Blow the woofies out of the DPf for sure :D

specsalot

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none
Spend many an hour with the limiter in effect on the autobahn. And autostrada ;)
As a p-car owner, I must take issue with your comment though - the sails are unfurled VERY often when the garage queen is released. And in Deutchland, I also hit the limiter on rented p-cars (155 mph).
I just remember the mechanic who used to service my Boxster. He said so many pcars (at least over here in the US) just gather dust and never get much ringing out. Europe - I'm sure a totally different story. Glad to hear you've run up against the limiter.

CBX - As in motorcycle? I'm sure I can guess where you're at on 2 wheelers. I used to routinely run my R1 up to $150 on the way to work - just to practice some HS breaking maneuvers. Didn't take much highway to conduct a decent braking exercise. :D

totitan

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagon TDI
Wheres the slow down crowd? They ought to be running around clucking their tongues and saying "your going too fast...slow down" over and over and...........

ctnatureboy

Veteran Member
TDI
mk7 Golf R 6MT
Ha! They're swarming around another thread harassing a newb for complaining about his suspension that's bottoming out on speed bumps.

totitan

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagon TDI
Ha! They're swarming around another thread harassing a newb for complaining about his suspension that's bottoming out on speed bumps.
LOL yea they have been relentless. One very seriously stated that he always slow down to 5 mph for speed bumps. I wonder how many times he's been rear ended.

OILPowered

Veteran Member
TDI
335d (still a TDI, technically)
Since we're sharing tales of high speed here i'll share that I've only driven once over 130mph, and it was in a '95 Camaro Z28 at 2 am on an empty highway. Hit 140 ish on the speedo- felt like it was going to take off as the front end got scarily floaty.

Been a few other times when I've done 130ish, but were in short bursts only. My new 'd has a speed limiter for 130ish due to its all-season h-rated run flats (sport package cars have a 155 mph limiter) . I'm pretty certain I won't be testing the limiter like I would have in my 20s, (nor would it be safe in most conditions), but the romance of a high top speed still sells cars and still appeals to my adolescent "id".

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI [buyback completed 14/1/2017] 2006 S65 AMG
You waited that long to open her up?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2